DEAN ROAD (the deans end)

Local History for Tyne & Wear
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

DEAN ROAD (the deans end)

Post by hencree »

i am new to the site but have found it so interesting. my question to everone is:- Does any one have any old photos showing the shops between Francis St. and Florence St?
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: DEAN ROAD (the deans end)

Post by Delilahcat »

Hencree we lived just near there in Malvern Street so I know the shops you mean. The Vaux Off Licence, Dean Print and a Bakers shop where you could get pies and peas. The one on the corner of Florence St was boarded up.
Sorry I don't have pictures but I know the area well.
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by hencree »

can you remember Babsie's fish shop on the next block ? she would give the little kids a little few chips in a cone made from the gazette when they were waitin in the Q, just to keep them quiet. also bob youngs coal depot and you must remember Hann & Newby's depot at the top of your street, or was it Johnson st? and lets not forget Jacky Hodgons paper shop withallthe sweets i can still remember the lovely smell of the sweets as we passed it. what happened to those happy days.
geordiejean
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordiejean »

i lived in frances st no 43 i used to baby sit for to women they lived above the shops happy days

:)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Remember all places mentioned. Used to get my coal from Youngs and my newspapers from Jackie's plus many a fish supper from the shop mentioned. When it closed we went to the chip shop beside Jackie's further up Dean Road. Remember the Methodist church in Dean Road. My friend Edna lived next door.
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

Do you remeber Cecil Gates paper shop.My Gran lived on Dean tce.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Yes when the block he was in got cleared he moved over the road to the shops on the bank. Used to get my paper and cigarettes there on the way to Tyne Dock station to catch the train to work.
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by hencree »

i remember gates shop well, he was one of the few where you went in the shop and he knew exactly what you wanted, in the mornings the workmen went in for their papers and cigs, and they didnt have to ask for them he had them all ready as soon as the men appeared in the doorway of the shop. i also remember when sweets came off the ration his shop was full of kids buying a few sweets, i bought 2ozs of mint balls for 3d. mrs gates was a nice woman as well, they also had a daughter who sometimes came into the shop. can you remember the names of the two women you used to babysit for above the shops further along?
geordiejean
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordiejean »

yes one was nora and the outher was rose do you remember kenny worthingtongreat singer i will keep thinking
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by hencree »

Geordiejean, norah lived above Kelso's bakery, she now lives in Weymouth Dorset, she is 85 this July, her husband Gab died in 2002 his ashes were laid to rest in the churchyard of his home village of Abbotsbury. may he rest in peace. Yes I do remember Kenny Worthington. he was always singing.
geordiejean
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordiejean »

ah thanks it seems like yesterday am coming back for a visit when it gets warmer i live in Norfolk now but will always be a geordie
german john
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by german john »

I used to work for Jacky Hodgson when I was young.My paper round was to sell papers in the wards at the Ingham infirmary.I used to sell the morning papers and then go off to school.Then go back in the evening with the gazettes.On a saturday I would sell the gazettes and then wait on the corner of Imeary street and Dean Road for the gazette van to come round the corner with the Green Finals and go back and sell them.Whenever I got back to the shop with the takings Jacky used to throw the money in the till without counting it.He trusted me and everyone who worked for him.
GERMAN JOHN
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I remember the Worthingtons. Kenny was one of a very big family. They all lived in a flat on Dean Road just along from Youngs. They eventually got one of the big council houses at the Nook. My friends Margaret Brown and Margaret Taroni used to live just along from them.
geordiejean
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordiejean »

i remember them so well the last two had down syndrome did put a wrong nameit was dora not rose senior monent they were happy days
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Jean I can just remember how people had loads of children in tiny little flats. Nowadays folk are complaining if the children have to share a room. My son has built another bedroom on so his two girls don't have to share.
My friend Edna Webb used to live the other side of Dean Road next to the Methodist church. On Friday night the Boys Brigade band used to practice and the whole house used to shake.
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Delilahcat wrote: Used to get my paper and cigarettes there
Deliah smokes tabs. [-X :oops:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
geordiejean
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordiejean »

i know they feel hard done by couldnt cope now i had 12 only 9 living but have to bite my lip loads of times they were a lot happier times my ex was ken osborne he lived in dean roadno 406
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

mr-angry wrote:
Delilahcat wrote: Used to get my paper and cigarettes there
Deliah smokes tabs. [-X :oops:
I was talking about more than 40 years ago before I saw the light and gave up. :D No tabs for me...or any other vices for that matter.
geordiejean
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordiejean »

hi geodienell hope you gotmy email tell your mam i have a old photo of me and my mam i will put it on for her if she wants love x :?:
geordienell
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordienell »

to geordiejean sorry didnt get your email spoke to mam she kept thinking of who you are, then it came to her she rememberd you and your mam she said she used to go out with dad now and again to the pictures and you used to baby sit for her ....i would love to have a picture of the kelso bakery i was born above the shop in 1950 now i am now 61 i am sure she would love to see a picture of you and your mam