Tyne salmon netters

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Caer Urfa Kev
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Tyne salmon netters

Post by Caer Urfa Kev »

Hi there, its a massive long shot but has anyone any information where I can get some details of old salmon netting licence holders...I've tried everything I can think of but t no avail. I said it was a long shot but has anyone any photos.
My uncle was one of the few people to have a slamon netting licence during the 60s/70s. I remember seeing him in his coble just outside the piers (on the big beach side) and also fixng his nets outside his house, strung between 2 lamposts, in Frenchman's Way. He also drank in the Hosley Hill pub, always sitting in the bay window. His name was Maurice McCready. Thanks.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Tyne salmon netters

Post by ralph »

Your post reminds me of when I was kid (I'm now 66). My dad (Jack Pottinger) was a foy-boatman until he started to get too old for that. He then went to work at Brigham and Cowan's docks, where work at times could be a bit patchy - it was not uncommon to be thrown out of work during the summer holiday period, or coming up to the Christmas holidays.

My dad had a friend called Elijah Laws who owned a coble (I think it was called Silver Spray) and had a salmon netting license. Each year in March, dad would give up his job in the docks, and spend March to September fishing for salmon, sea trout and of course, they had the 'pots' to catch crabs and lobsters. As a lad, I spent many happy hours in the boat with them, usually fishing behind the South Pier, or in the harbour in 'Bobbler's Corner'.

These times were not my mam's favourite, as income was very much dictated by the weather, and when not in the boat, dad was likely to be spending the better part of his share in the pub. The other irritant was, dad insisting on spending his time at home, making nets, and so there was often a length of net suspended from one of the door knobs, while dad worked on it - the cause of many heated arguments with mam.

One of my school mates, Barry McCardle's dad also had a coble (White Heather) and license, and he also used to fish during the season. I think I am right in saying some of the Stevenson family also held a license and all of the aforementioned used to moor their boats at the Corporation Quay. Sadly just about all the people I have mentioned are now dead, (my mam is still going and will be 92 this year). I believe Barry McCardle now lives in Australia. I do have a few photos of the cobles, but I have never quite worked out how to post photos onto this site. I hope this might stir a few happy memories for you.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Any relation to Ollie Pottinger?

I've got a couple of photos somewhere of the Coble "Boy Willie" which we used to own, we
fished from Whitburn/Sunderland. I'll have to dig them out.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Hi Mr Smith, regarding the Ollie connection, I believe there is one, but I don't think it is a very close one, though I have been aware of Ollie Pottinger's family for many years. I believe they were active with the 'Westovians' and the Pier Pavilion.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

ralph wrote:Hi Mr Smith, regarding the Ollie connection, I believe there is one, but I don't think it is a very close one, though I have been aware of Ollie Pottinger's family for many years. I believe they were active with the 'Westovians' and the Pier Pavilion.
Well Ollie was, he was a stage manager but he died quite a few years ago.
He was my late fathers cousin. As it happens he used to live in Salmon Street
just off Ocean Road, he was born in Percy Street near the town hall.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Ah, it just shows what a small world it is. I was born in Reay Street, not far from 'The Peoples Mission' in Fort Street, and most of my family still live within a quarter of a mile from there. I have lived in London for the last 36 years, and really left Shields in 1965 when I joined the Merchant Navy, but that little area around the Lawe Top will alaways be home to me. I will be up for a visit from the 5th to the 9th of February and I am very much looking forward to it - getting back to my roots! Visiting this site is a great way to keep in touch with what is going on.