Commercial road pub

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Cayugawolf
Big Gob
Big Gob

Commercial road pub

Post by Cayugawolf »

Firstly, I had better say Hello after many months of browsing here I registered as I hope you might be able to help me with a question….
I have been researching my family history and discovered my g g grandfather was listed as publican of the Burton Cellar in Commercial Road in 1891. My question is does anyone know whereabouts on Commercial Road was this place….sounds like a bit of a dive to me!! I know what Commercial Road looks like now but it must have been so different in those days.

Lynn
Last edited by Cayugawolf on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Commercial road pup

Post by Delilahcat »

Lynn don't know if you live local but the library has some good info. Things like Trade Directories for instance. I actually found my great great grandmother ran a beer house off Commercial Rd.
Never heard of a Burton Cellar but there were pubs called Burton House. Think Burton was the brewery name. The Burton House I remember was in Slake Terrace which ran on from Commercial Road. There are lots of pictures of Slake Terrace on line and it may have been part of Commercial Rd at one time. There are some old maps in the Library which may confirm this.
If you don't live local I'll have a look in the Library for you.
Cayugawolf
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Cayugawolf »

Thanks……I'll have a look next time I'm down…I hadn't thought of the directories. I see your a Marsden person…..so am I!! Though I have lived in sunny Ashington for the last 20 years I still visit my Dad (who still lives in Marsden)

Lynn
german john
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by german john »

Hi Lynn
If you log onto www.southtynesideimages.org and click on search images.Then in the search box enter Burton House Inn you will find 3 photo,s of the pub and it mentions in one that the innkeeper was called Sisterson.Hope this helps.
GERMAN JOHN
german john
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by german john »

Sorry Lynn I think that link is actually
www.southtynesideimages.org.uk
GERMAN JOHN
Cayugawolf
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Cayugawolf »

thanks for the link….some fantastic photos there…I must find the time to have a better look

Lynn
Cayugawolf
Big Gob
Big Gob

Re: Commercial road pub

Post by Cayugawolf »

Well I eventually got around to having a look at the website you suggested.
German John, the place I was looking for was the Burton Cellars not the Burton Arms. Looking back at the census the place I was looking for was next door to the Neptune Hotel, and I found this photo on the website

The photo was taken around the time William Taylor was living there with his wife and 5 children.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Lynn
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

not sure if thats the right pub as the neptune hotel that was next to the commercial looks like this
http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co. ... -hotel.htm
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Cayugawolf wrote:Well I eventually got around to having a look at the website you suggested.
German John, the place I was looking for was the Burton Cellars not the Burton Arms. Looking back at the census the place I was looking for was next door to the Neptune Hotel, and I found this photo on the website

The photo was taken around the time William Taylor was living there with his wife and 5 children.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Lynn
The address of William Taylor (beer seller) was 2 Corstorphine Town, which is part of commercial Road, opposite
what was Readheads Graving Dock.

Here is the same view from the other end of the street. The large building was originally a Methodist Church but it
was purchased by T S Edward to extend his dock.

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
Cayugawolf
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Cayugawolf »

Many thanks for the other photo….. in a curious quirk of fate, my dad, who married into the Taylor family, worked at Readheads all his working life…spooky :D

Lynn