Can you help info about Morpeth

Local History for Tyne & Wear
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Can you help info about Morpeth

Post by kenbaker »

As part of tracing my family history I have found one line that lived in Morpeth from abt 1875 - 1950. Because we then lived abroad we never saw them and I know nothing much. Their names were Cook and the family lived in a pub/inn called St Crispins and later at Ladies Walk. Does this pub still exist please and can anyone remember it or the family?

Ken Baker
Wakefield.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Can you help info about Morpeth

Post by Mr Smith »

If the lived in the "parish" of Morpeth the pub could be anywhere
in the southern half of Northumberland. Morpeth Parish covered
a very large area in those days. I have been unable to find a listing
for the pub so I'm assuming that it no longer exists or the name has
been changed.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Thanks for the info. I undestand that the Inn was in Morpeth Village its self. I have done a lot of searching as well and can not find any ref to it. It is shown on two certificates I have as their address.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ken Baker
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Just got my Grans marriage cert back and the pub was called the King Crispin Inn on Newgate Street. She lived there in 1903 onwards and the Inn is shown on the O.S. for 1896.

Ken
Wakefield.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

It look as if the Inn is now called "The White Swan" Newgate Street, Morpeth. The 1911 cencus gives the address which is the same as the White Swan.I would like to know if that stirs anyones memory on what they might have heard over the years.

Thanks

Ken
Cayugawolf
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Cayugawolf »

If you can, try to find copies of the books "Town Trail for Morpethians" by A H Tweddle. The local history society is in the process of reprinting updated copies of these trails. They are available from the Chantry (tourist info office) and are more than just a walking guide. if you get in touch with them they will tell you which book covers Newgate Street. Each book covers a small area of the town and covers history, geography and the people who have occupied the buildings over the years. Did you know Morpeth had its own Olympics?

http://www.morpethnet.ndo.co.uk/chantry/index.html

Lynn
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Hello Lynn and many many thanks for taking time to send me the details. I will certainly follow this one up as it sounds right up my street!!!
Morpeth Olympics ? Well that's a new one to me and would be interested to hear more if and when you get time .

AGAIN MANY THANKS.

Ken
Wakefield.
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

morpeth olympics. its on google ken, they discontinued them in the nineteen fifties.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Got it now thanks.

Ken
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

you are more than welcome.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

I did some tracking down of the "Town Trail for Morpethians" by A H Tweddle you told me about and found that book 2 had the area I wanted. A quick trip to my local seondhand book shop and £2 bought one. It is very interesting , the reference to the Inn is only four lines long but gives me a little more info.

Cheers

Ken
Wakefield
Cayugawolf
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Cayugawolf »

Mr Tweddle (Dan) was deputy head at King Edwards School when my OH was there in the 1970s he was very keen on local history and had a mini museum in the school. They havent finished publishing the books yet, think there are 10 all together. My kids liked the one about the school, as they both go there now. I havent walked any of the routes yet, but since I am in Morpeth on a regular basis, I kinda know where the places are.

Lynn
surpriseitsme
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by surpriseitsme »

hey ken not really relevent just wanted to mention i had great grandparents that lived at 9 ladies walk and it was apparantly flats as we had other relatives that lived 'underneath' them it was somewhere in front of the warnes ice cream factory if thats any help?

vicky
:D
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Hello,

I can not remember the number that the "Cook" family lived at in Ladies Walk I am afraid and didn't know that any were indeed flats.

Thanks

Ken
surpriseitsme
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by surpriseitsme »

hey i think i was a little optimistic with the word flat lol they lived in a ''room in a cul de sac'' i have number 9 from my great grandfathers death certificate as his place of deathapparantly there were 4 families in this residence the other info i have on ladies walk is a little hazy but what the hell lol lawsons brickyard occupied the bottom of the cul de sac when they left they left a pit of water in which a boy drowned the council tried to fill it in with refuse (random i know) there was a tripe shop and at the top of ladies walk near the main road stood the Peoples Mission
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

I have just dug out some photos of the "Cook" family outside Ladies Walk and the house looks very much like a cottage.I did visit a few times but I as very young and don't remember much about it all apart from going accross the stepping stones with my Dad.
I have managed to find a photo of the inside of the St Crispin Inn but nothing yet of the outside as it was C 1900.

Ken