Pork Butchers around Stanhope street

Local History for Tyne & Wear
yarrakid
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Pork Butchers around Stanhope street

Post by yarrakid »

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me investigate abit more about my family based n the South Shields area, roughly around 1895 onwards, based most of the time in the upper part of Stanhope Street, Boldon Lane, Rutland Street, (now were Aldi's is), and in gerenal around that area. The profession was Pork Butchers and the name was Kazenberger before a change to Kaye later because of the unrest with the World Wars. Now I have some information from the census but one person seems to be missing that of William Kazenberger whom I will assume got changed at some stage. Last known place of residence was in Boldon but not sure where to be sure, he died around 1935/6.

There seems very little information from around this time or photos so if someone could kindly point me in the right direction I would be very grateful..

Thank you all.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Pork Butchers around Stanhope street

Post by Delilahcat »

It is Stanhope Road that you are talking about. Stanhope Street was in the town centre - off Mile End Road I think.
If you live in Shields the library has electoral registers for the thirties and also trade directories for people like butchers.That may help
If you don't live local send me a pm with last known dates, names and addresses and I'll have a look for you when I have time
yarrakid
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Pork Butchers around Stanhope street

Post by yarrakid »

Opps my bad, your right of course..

I have been to the library in South Shields and fair amount of information was gained from the Trade directories which helped a great deal, but what I was looking for is more photographic, general sort of details as well, in particular trying to trace on of the sons who moved to Boldon not sure where exactly, to open his Butchers there.. He seemed to dissappear from records. Also I know of a photographic site that library is doing I think its "South Tyneside Historic Images online" but not much there either, so just appealing if anyone has anything at all ?. Also about the fun fair rides at the bottom of Ocean Road in the late 20's and 30's apperently there too relatives where to have stalls etc..

Thanks

Simon :)