HMS Kelly

Local History for Tyne & Wear
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

HMS Kelly

Post by martymont »

The story goes when the Kelly came to Leslies to be repaired, they left all the dead in situ. till they reached the dock, so when the medics and yard ambulance men went on board they used the rigging loft alongside the dock as a makeshift morgue, and piled the bodies there for identification now the weird thing was at the time there were 7 first aiders and ambulance men moving the bodies, within in the space of 2 years 5 had died mysteriously, this was confirmed by various people who were in the yard at the time and who worked in the High Shed when I was there eerie or what.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: HMS Kelly

Post by Mr Smith »

I read a lot and learned a lot about the Kelly, but never heard
of anything like that and I find it hard to believe.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Yes I know but that was the yards was'nt it, I mean I was told by a couple of old tradesmen but is it urban or not.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

martymont wrote:Yes I know but that was the yards was'nt it, I mean I was told by a couple of old tradesmen but is it urban or not.
There were some good story tellers among the old shipyard workers, the same can
be said of the old miners as well. Story telling was a thing people in the old days
used to do to get people talking and carrying on the myths to see how far they
would go. Most of the stories faded away but one or two lingered on and I suspect
that story is one of them.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

I think that because the Kelly was Hebburns ship I think something might have happened but over the years its mushroomed.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

She came into the Tyne after her big battle and she was so low in the
water that her decks were awash. Mountbatten did a good job just
getting her back home.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

The dead are buried in Hebburn cemetary

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

there was a rumour about jesus years ago
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

sless wrote:there was a rumour about jesus years ago
Was he a Shields lad? :?
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

no but angry used to do a canny judas in the school plays
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
Caer Urfa Kev
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Caer Urfa Kev »

I was an apprentice fitter at Leslies/Palmer's (Swans) in the early 80s. When I did some time in the millwrights I had to do a night shift in the boiler room that was next to Leslie's dock (it was winter and the heating boiler was kept on all the time because the shipwrights didn't like the cold). Well anyway, the journeyman I was with was called Dave (can't remember the second name but he had a wonkey eye (sorry Dave). He worked permanent night-shift on the boiler. He told a story that the Kelly's dead were laid out at the bottom of the stairwell next to the boiler house and when he was an apprentice he went to sleep there and was woken up by the pressure of feet trampling over him and weights pressing down on him. Too scared to move he stopped there until it was light.
Dave then went to sleep and left me cacking myself all night. It was the last night-shift I ever did!!!!

Saying that though, he also lent me a mug, waited until I finished my tea and then said the owner had died of mouth cancer and the cup had never been washed - don't know which was more fightening for a 17 year old.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tedster »

i think old dave was just trying to put the willies up you,, :wink:
champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My mate reckons he's going to a convention for retired shoe repairers today.
Load of old cobblers if you ask me.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

When I started work at Whitburn Pit in 1961 I was warned by my father and others not to go into the old abandoned workings in the old Bensham seam. We young ones when left alone would often venture into the old workings looking for fossils etc. I was told a miner had gotten lost in the old workings and when they found him weeks later dead, he had drank the oil from his oil lamp. We used to think it was scare tactics to keep us out of the old workings. However with the wonders of the internet have since found out story was true.

Date: 2nd April 1907
Colliery: Whitburn
Cause: Lost in the mine
Lives Lost: 1

Description

An extraordinary case of a back-overman, Daniel Mark Bence, aged 45, losing himself in the mine and eventually dying of starvation, occurred at the Whitburn Colliery belonging to the Harton Coal Company, Ltd. He was last seen alive in the mine about 9.15 a.m. on Tuesday, April 2nd, and nothing was seen of him again till his dead body was discovered at 9.15 a.m. on May 7th.

At 7.30 a.m. on the morning of April 2nd he arranged with the fore-overman to visit the men working in the Fourth West Cross-cut, splitting the pillars in the Bensham seam. Two sets of men were at work in this district separated by some abandoned workings. The fore-overman accompanied Bence into the district, which is about 1½ miles from the pit bottom, and whilst walking there, he said he would show Bence a short cut from the one set of men to the other, and took him through two manhole doors into the return airway and along it to the Barrier Flat where the first set of men were working. They parted company at some separation doors leading into another district and before doing so, the fore-overman asked Bence if he knew the place and the road back and Bence said he recognised where he was and knew the way back and he would go and visit the men in the barrier and then return by the way he had come in, viz., the short cut and thence on to the other set of men, Bence then visited all the men in the Barrier Flat and was last seen alive by a putter at the flat about 9.15 a.m., but no remarks passed between them.

In the ordinary course he should have returned to the pit bottom about 1.30 p.m., and his absence was at once noticed, as nothing unusual had occurred in the working of the mine to account for it.

Four or five deputies and the back-overman immediately returned and searched about the roads on the short cut it was surmised he would take when travelling from the men in the Barrier Flat to the other men. At 7 p.m. about 30 men joined in the search and at about 10 p.m. organised search began, between 40 and 50 men, stonemen, deputies, and officials, assembled and concentrated their efforts in searching the abandoned workings south of the Barrier Flat and immediately adjoining the shorter route shown him by the fore-overman in the morning, the impression being that in returning this was to get to the other men, Bence had taken the wrong turn and lost himself in the abandoned split pillars and been buried under a fall of roof. These falls were systematically examined and turned over wherever possible, the searchers shouting and jowling at each road end. The night shift hewers descended at 5 p.m. and worked their shift, but the rest of the men held a meeting and decided not to come to work for the remainder of the week or until Bence was found ; the colliery consequently was idle until April 8th. In the meantime the search was prosecuted with resolute devotion and unremitting zeal, and eventually on May 7th Bence’s body was found in the abandoned workings about midway between the two sets of men he had to visit and about 300 yards from the last working place he had visited and on the opposite side of the Barrier workings to that where it was conjectured he might have lost himself.

He was lying on his back, hands on breast, against the side of the coal in a split which had been driven 6 yards wide through a pillar and was completely hemmed in though not touched by a fall of roof, the stones of which were too heavy for him to lift. His stick and leather cap were lying by his side and a pencil was stuck in one of the ventilation hole of the latter. His watch and note-book were underneath him and he had taken one of his boots off. It is rather singular that he had written nothing in his note-book. The place varied in height from 18 inches to 2 feet. The following day his lamp was found about 36 yards from the body. It had a screw lock and all the parts were taken to pieces and laid regularly on the floor ; it was not damaged. About a tablespoon of oil was in the oil pot. The pricker was bent back ; the deceased may have done this to drink the oil.

A post-mortem examination of the body was made in the presence of three medical men ; they found no injuries to the body, no bones broken, all the organs healthy, no sign of poison, and they could not account for death except by starvation.

During Bence’s conversation with the fore-overman in the morning he had been regretting that there was not a shorter route between his men, that he had tried to find a shorter way two or three weeks previously but had not succeeded. The distance from one set of men to the other by the route shown him by the fore-overman is about 1,200 yards, and the distance across the abandoned workings is only 300 yards, and although these workings were abandoned only five months previously owing to "creep" coming on, they were in an unsafe state and to a large extent closed by falls of roof. No one knew this better than Bence or imagined that he would attempt to cross them, as he was known to be a cautious man. But his intimate knowledge of these workings has probably led him to endeavour to find a short cut through, that in doing so he has lost his light and in trying to find his way out in the dark he has been shut off and entombed by a heavy fall of roof and eventually starved to death.

During the search, parties of men were near where the body was ultimately found.

A curious feature about the business was that deceased made a written report as to the state in which he found the workings before he commenced his round, even going the length of stating he had found gas at a point where it was generally observed.

It may be stated in connection with this fatality that had Bence’s lamp been fitted with an internal igniting apparatus his life would probably not have been lost.

Source: 1907 Mines Inspectors Report