pot pies

Local History for Tyne & Wear
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

pot pies

Post by jimmywizz »

i had a pot pie for my tea tonight never had one for years, as a kid i can remember going to the one A cafe on a saturday afternoon and getting them for my dinner, anyone else remember that place ?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

It can't be too long ago Jimmy. My father used to go regularly for a pensioners lunch and it does not seem that far back. I assume by your question that it is no longer there. I remember going myself a couple if tmes. It is the one up stairs isn't it?
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

yep thats the place but it went downhill over the last few years before it closed
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Talking about pies, I remember as a kid going once a week to the Pie and Pea shop in Eldon Street. I used to get pies for the whole family and took a jug or dish with me for the peas. There was always a queue a mile long for them, They did not sell anything else; just pies and peas. I suppose that was the old times version of a fast food take away. :lol:
Last edited by baldy.smith on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Yes I remember pot pies from the 1A caff......where did you get your pot pie from now, wizzy?

I worked in Fowler Street and my bosses used to get these massive take-out dinners from there. There was literally a mountain of food on the plate, usually pot pies and loads of gravy, peas and mashed potato.

If you remember the lady who ran it, her name was Mrs Krapp (honest!).
Sandy
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

what exactley is a pot pie??, do you have a recipe
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

sand i got mine from the local supermarket, captain just ask in your local supermarket if they have them in stock
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

wiz......I can taste them in my memory!!!!!! mmmmmm, delish! There's no way any supermarket will stock them where I am now. Next time I'm up, I'll be on the lookout.
Sandy
jim haynes
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jim haynes »

the first meal the army ever bought me was from the a1 cafe, i signed on at the recruiting office just a few yards up the road and as it took all day they gave us a few bob for our dinner which most people spent at the a1. i think i got the braised kidneys.............
jim haynes
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jim haynes »

still on the subject....can anyone remember the pie and pea shop that was near carters newsagents in northcote street
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

I can remember a shop that sold faggots and peas and im sure it was in one of the turnings off Fowler st maybe Albermarl st.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Podgy Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Podgy Pete »

I was chef in A1 Cafe.

It was working in Kitchens that gave me idea to work in Pathology Department.

Sort of repaying debt to society.

PP
Life is not a rehearsal.

You only have one shot at it.
Little Lisa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Little Lisa »

i know this post is a bit late but i remember the 1a cafe jimmy, i used to have fish and chips, and for desert ice cream with cherry aid soda poured on top... mmm i miss that place and any kind of place where you could get a good dinner from, there is no-where over here apart from, kebab shops....yuk!!!!
ImageImage
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by urfa »

I worked for vasey's fish monger first in Laygate Place (or Lane) and then in Frederick Street, they suplied fish and also chickens to the A1 cafe
that was about 42 years ago, a great place for a meal, you all take care now. Urfa
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt