Old Street Names

Local History for Tyne & Wear
dancerpatsy
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Old Street Names

Post by dancerpatsy »

Just another one to add to the changed names of South Shields streets - The top part of Fowler Street from Mount Terrace up towards the Town Hall was called Victoria Terrace on the 1901 census, although the ordnance survey map dated 1895 names it as Fowler Street! Guess the census enumerator did not keep up with the times!

Also the name Penny Pie Stairs is just what it says - You could buy pies for a penny. My Great Gran lived on Johnson's Hill, and she got up very early every morning to bake the pies so the men on their way to work could buy their pies and peas for lunch. She ran what was known as a 'house window shop' and many of the women in that area did the same.
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

Ocean Rd was called German St. c1850+
The North Sea was called The German Ocean. c1850+
The Pier PH at the bottom of Roman Road (approx) replaced an an inn called 'The German Cottage'. c1850+
The term Road came into use late in the 19c.
The reason why long roads seem to be divided in to terraces and the like, is because the houses were built by many different builders, and they would give a name to their own stretch of buildings.
Shields is one of the few towns in the Nort East which still retains most of the old street names next to the new.
How many can you spot?
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re:

Post by Jarrow Pete »

baldy.smith wrote:Moon Strret ran off Mile End Road just uphill from the station.

8)
The Northern buses used to terminate and start from there as well as the London and Coventry buses.
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

Meldon terrace is another one.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re:

Post by siam sam »

baldy.smith wrote:There are lots of Street names which have changed in Shields since the 1800s. I have three old ordinance maps from the 1800s covering all of South Shields. River Drive as we know it was called Pilot Street, Wapping Street used to be called Shadwell Street and so on; the list is quite extensive. There were also at least three ferries crossings the Tyne in those days, one was nearer to the mouth of the Tyne than the current ferry which is also listed and another next to the Middle Docks not far from Trinity Church, as kids it was known to us as the penny ferry (although it was no longer operating when I used to play around the paybox and landing stage) whether that relates to the name Penny Pie Stairs (which were next to the ferry landing) or the cost of the fare I do not know. Lots of interesting stuff on the old maps and quite a few eye openers.
Update--It would seem from further investigation that the original penny ferry is the one nearest the mouth of the Tyne, seems I was misinformed as a kid; or was I??? :shock:
yes you are correct we used to call it the hapenny ferry, used it a few times ran from commical corner accross to northerside.
i'm taking a trip mates.
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re:

Post by siam sam »

brian c wrote:There was also a ferry that ran between the piers and the remains of the landings can still be seen.
they where pleasure steamers doing pleasure cruises up the tyne to ryton calling at various landings up an down the river, started before the first war. landing stage was just outside the watch house steps to the boarding jetty can be seen today.
i'm taking a trip mates.
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

does anyone know if the toilets on the south side of the pier are still open i can just see it from my house on a clear, you can see forever, have used it a few times myself but i suppose the elf and safety police have closed it down on the orders of big elf from the ministry of elf and safety
i'm taking a trip mates.
jlb
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Shadwell Street

Post by jlb »

baldy.smith wrote:There are lots of Street names which have changed in Shields since the 1800s. I have three old ordinance maps from the 1800s covering all of South Shields. River Drive as we know it was called Pilot Street, Wapping Street used to be called Shadwell Street and so on; the list is quite extensive. There were also at least three ferries crossings the Tyne in those days, one was nearer to the mouth of the Tyne than the current ferry which is also listed and another next to the Middle Docks not far from Trinity Church, as kids it was known to us as the penny ferry (although it was no longer operating when I used to play around the paybox and landing stage) whether that relates to the name Penny Pie Stairs (which were next to the ferry landing) or the cost of the fare I do not know. Lots of interesting stuff on the old maps and quite a few eye openers.
Update--It would seem from further investigation that the original penny ferry is the one nearest the mouth of the Tyne, seems I was misinformed as a kid; or was I??? :shock:
Just for the sake of accuracy - Wapping Street did not used to be called Shadwell Street. Wapping Street ran into Shadwell Street and it ran into Pilot Street.

During the C19th my ancestors lived in Shadwell Street and were sailing between the Tyne and Thames during the height of the coal trade - a couple of them also became Tyne pilots. The name Shadwell comes from the east-end of London. Shadwell was one of the dock-land areas of the Thames where coal would have been unloaded after its journey from the Tyne. The street names Wapping and Holborn have also a London connection.

In 1804 my great, great, great grandparents, William Bedlington and Susannah Simpson, were married in London at St Paul's Church, Shadwell. He died in 1828 at a house in Pilot Street. Susannnah died in 1846, aged 67, at Shadwell Street.
Last edited by jlb on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlb
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Do you know the names of the one's who became Tyne Pilots ? As I have a definitive list going back a long way.
I voted leave

jlb
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jlb »

Pilot wrote:Do you know the names of the one's who became Tyne Pilots ? As I have a definitive list going back a long way.
My great, great grandfather, William Bedlington, was born in 1808. From his marriage certificate of 1839 I know that he was a pilot working on the Tyne. Census records from 1841 onwards also record him as a pilot. He died in 1890.

His son, also William, my great grandfather, was born in 1844 at 20 Shadwell Street. The 1861 census shows him as an apprentice pilot. Later census records also have him as a pilot. He died before his father, in 1885.
jlb
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Jib, thank you for that information regarding the origins of the names for Shadwell and Wapping Streets and the area Holborn. I have lived in London for decades and had often mused on what the connection was. It seems easy once someone has pointed it out to you. :D
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

NAME BORN LICENSED FROM DIED WIFES NAME
BEDLINGTON, William 1811 07.03.1836 1891 Margaret
BEDLINGTON, William 1844 1872 1884 Dinah WILKIE

THE ABOVE IS WHAT THE OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE TYNE PILOTS SHOW.
I voted leave

jlb
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jlb »

Pilot wrote:NAME BORN LICENSED FROM DIED WIFES NAME
BEDLINGTON, William 1811 07.03.1836 1891 Margaret
BEDLINGTON, William 1844 1872 1884 Dinah WILKIE

THE ABOVE IS WHAT THE OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE TYNE PILOTS SHOW.
The second Bedlington was my great-grandfather. He was born in 1844 at 20 Shadwell Street.
I have these other addresses for him:
1851 - Military Road
1861 - Balcony Court
1871 - High Stob Lane
1881 - 71 Shadwell Street
The census records show him as a pilot - following on from his father.
He married Dinah Wilkie in 1868 at Christ Church, Tynemouth - she was from North Shields.
At the time of his death he was living at 71 Shadwell Street. His death certificate shows that he was found dead on 'Pilot Stairs'. These were steep steps which led down to Shadwell Street, probably close to the spot overlooking the River Tyne where you can now see the statue of 'Dolly Peel', a well known character of the time who also lived at Shadwell Street.
jlb