Owld Buses

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Owld Buses

Post by Sandy »

Talking about old buses in another topic, I remembered the maroon, single deckers called 'Economic'. They ran from the Pier Head, along Ocean Road, up Fowler Street, then all the way up to the Old Ship at Harton, turned left along Marsden Road, then on to the coast, turned right, through Whitburn and, I think, on through Seaburn to Sunderland. Why were they called 'Economic'? They had the same fares as the other buses. 3d from the bottom of Fowler Street to Cauldwell.
Sandy
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

They powered by knicker elastic not use petrol or deisel.

Thats why they were called economic

Poor driver spend several hours tightening elastic with big handle.

Thats why they always late.
I always value Pilots wit and input
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Memor.....I haven't laughed so much in ages!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sandy
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Try travelling on a London bus that'll wipe the smile of your face.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

Economic were based in the garage at Whitburn opposite to the colliery, they had 2 routes to Sunderland the coast road and the top road via i think the nook and Sunderland road , used to get the tickets not from a machine but from a holder with all different value tickets, really low tech.
By the way we should nominate jake as the keeper of bus nostalgia, think he would accept the responsibility to keep us oldies amused
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

The Economic Bus Co. started as a partnership but a rift between the two partners split the company in two. As has already been stated half of the company was based across the road from Whitburn Colliery, the other half was based across the road from the Bents Cottages just before Seaburn. The names on the rear of the buses told you whether it was owned by Anderson or Wilson the two former partners. I had two close relatives worked for Anderson for many years and I used to travel on the Economic buses daily when I lived in Whitburn Village. The two routes were knowm locally as The Coast Road or The High Road.
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for all the really interesting info.

But can anyone better Memor's theory of knicker elastic as to why the name of the company was Economic?
Sandy
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I think that may be STRETCHING it a bit too far Sandy
sian
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by sian »

This has just brought back memories. Anyone remeber Catch A Bus? It ran from town to Horsley Hill, down Centenary Ave to The Nook and I can't remember after that!
"People who are wrapped up in themselves make very small parcels"
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Is that when illegal substances kicked in ??
I always value Pilots wit and input
sian
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by sian »

No, I lived at the Nook so never went further than that!
"People who are wrapped up in themselves make very small parcels"
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

baldy.smith wrote:The Economic Bus Co. started as a partnership but a rift between the two partners split the company in two. As has already been stated half of the company was based across the road from Whitburn Colliery, the other half was based across the road from the Bents Cottages just before Seaburn. The names on the rear of the buses told you whether it was owned by Anderson or Wilson the two former partners. I had two close relatives worked for Anderson for many years and I used to travel on the Economic buses daily when I lived in Whitburn Village. The two routes were knowm locally as The Coast Road or The High Road.
Interesting stuff that baldy. Especially as I dont live far from the garage you are talking about. From my distant memory I can just about remember catching that bus as a bairn outside the Readhead Park. So they were maroon ? In my minds eye I thought they were brown. I was only about 6 like :wink:
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

reply to village cat.

The buses were maroon but as they were never polished or repainted they always looked like a dirty brown. At the time I used them I lived just behind the Grey Horse pub in the prefabs which were demolished quite a few years back. My stepfather and an uncle used to work on the Economic buses from the Bents garage. I have good reason to remember the economic buses as I and a friend were run over by one on the Coast Road in 1960. I was lucky enough to survive my friend was not
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

baldy.smith wrote:reply to village cat.

The buses were maroon but as they were never polished or repainted they always looked like a dirty brown. At the time I used them I lived just behind the Grey Horse pub in the prefabs which were demolished quite a few years back. My stepfather and an uncle used to work on the Economic buses from the Bents garage. I have good reason to remember the economic buses as I and a friend were run over by one on the Coast Road in 1960. I was lucky enough to survive my friend was not
Sorry to hear that. Not all good memories of the Economic then.
You could say I have a family history of buses. My dad was a driver for PTE for many years, and my mams father was a driver then inspector.
The prefabs ? Is that where the newish houses are now ?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

My father, who's photo is posted in the old photos section of the members gallery worked on the Shields buses from the end of the war after he was discharged from the army until about 1977. He started working on the points(pulling the switches for the trolly buses)at Laygate, Fowler Street junction and the Chi, he then started as a conductor, then trolly bus driver and finally motor bus driver until his retirement due to ill health
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

It is more than likely he knew my granda then, as he followed a similar path. I think he retired in about 1974. His son was also a driver incidentally. Nice photo btw.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Reply to village cat.

The prefabs were called Croftside Estate, I believe they still use the name Croftside at that spot.
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Now.......Jake has 'sort of' told me why it was called Economic.......no-one has really come up with a sound story. village cat......living near the garage, have you any ideas???????
Sandy
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

They were called Economic because the fares were supposedly cheap and it was economical to travel on them.
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

But if you travelled.....e.g. bottom of Fowler Street to Harton.....the fare was exactly the same as the other buses. S/S or NGT.

Jake said the same as you. That they professed to offer cheap fares. But their complete route was not shared by any other so how could you compare.
Sandy