CU Jimmy!

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

CU Jimmy!

Post by Sandy »

I was browsing Baldy.Smith's photo gallery, came across a lovely photo of his father 'Taking A Break' at the back of a S/S bus and noticed the familiar CU registration number, CU 4603. It got me thinking about the first ever car in Shields receiving CU 1, or would it be 1 CU, what make of car was it, when was it and who owned it. Possibly the Chapman family? Sir Robin Chapman's ancestors? Does anyone know?

When I was little, my gran told me that the first cars in South Shields had men with flags walking in front of them to warn pedestrians of their approach!!!!!!
Sandy
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

They're thinking of going back to man with red flag

for "Boy Racers."
I always value Pilots wit and input
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

sandy you might be right about the first CU belonging to the chapmans family as i did remember reading a story about it in the paper but not 100% sure of who the car owner was
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

Who were the Chapmans ??
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

I remember reading that it was owned by Sir Robert Chapman (bt), lived in Cleadon Village but had to register the vehicle in South Shields in those days, the males of the family were all educated at South Shields Grammar Technical School for Boys.

Freddie Chapman scored the first ever try in an international rugby match at Twickenham in 1910 his cap was displayed in a case at the school.

http://www.south-shields.pwp.blueyonder ... tory_1.htm

Sir Robin Chapman was the last Chairman of the family accountancy firm in Barrington Street and was also a Lord Lieutenant of Tyne and Wear. Lady Barbara Chapman is an old dear (in the nicest possible sense) and has been a great benefactor to a number of local charities, causes, and associations.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

i could be wrong but i think the old scout HQ at the bottom of laygate lane was also called Chapman House
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

You could be......................................................but you're dead right again.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I believe a Lord and Lady Chapman of South Shields were also patrons of Finchale Abbey Training College which I attended in the mid fifties. The late Captain Annand VC was the personel officer at the time. It was a boarding College and I spent a year there and I'm sure that Lord and Lady Chapman visited at least twice while I was there, memory is getting a bit dim these days. There was a large placque inside the main entrance honouring the work of Baron? Chapman of South Shields.
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

He's a hereditary Baronet, so it's just a plain Sir and Lady, but you are right, same family :)
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Yes, I thought it would be the Chapmans.

Anyone know what year it was?

I'm trying to imagine this car in King street, dodging the horses and carts!!!!!
Sandy