Anyone remember, The Sequel

Local History for Tyne & Wear
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Anyone remember, The Sequel

Post by offthewall »

HI folks,
Spurred on by the relative success of the 'anyone remember' thread.
Was anyone here into Folk Clubs?
During the 1966-1974 period I was involved with various folk clubs in Shields. Notably at the Frenchmans Fort (TA centre opposite the Fountain Inn) then the County then the Station.
Curious to know if anyone else remembers!!
:roll:
:roll: :shock:
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

I was a great folk and blues fan, i remember the Frenchmans Fort venue, used to drink Starbright that well known Newcastle Breweries tipple, also what about the Adam and Eve on a Friday night, more blues but also folk, Marsden Inn one Sunday each month, moved to the Ship many years ago, some really top class acts would appear here. All in all Shields had a very lively folk and blues scene, whats happening now??
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

Cap'n, I knew from your 'name' that you had to be from that golden era. The Fort was the first folk club in the North of England to accept a regular input of Blues. This was brought about by the cooperation of the man who ran the club - the great 'Bob the Gob' Gilroy and myself and a few other bluesy's....Bob had a terrific sense of acceptance of other musical genres.
It was this collaberation which produced the title 'South Tyne Folk & Blues'. For a few heady years we went from strength to strength, in the process gaining national recognition in publications like 'Blues Unlimited' for bringing major name guest acts into the area. I'm glad you were part of it all. I must have known you then (by another name as I never actually met the real CB) as I knew everyone who used the club.
I don't remember much going on at the Adam, and I'm afraid I am not well up on what is happening currently except that 'old pals' the Hokum Hotshots (AKA Jimmy-Chubby Boy- Murray and Pete Mason) are running some sort of infrequent club up at the (I think) Grey Horse, or some sort of coloured animal, at East Boldon.
:roll: