Egner Butcher's shop.

Local History for Tyne & Wear
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Re: Egner Butcher's shop.

Post by kenbaker »

Great and thanks for the P.P. info. How do the kids not like P.P.?
That would be great if you could see if the shop is still there. Next year I will try and do the Tyneside rounds to trace a few to their resting places and also see the address I have found out about.

Ta again

Ken
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I've got a feeling that Ken's grandad's shop was the Mattimore's pork shop I remember. It was eventually taken over by someone called Balls and I don't know if it is still in business. I will try to check it out tomorrow. I will ask my cousin who is in her eighties if she remembers the shop being Egners. Hopefully we will come up with some answers.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Nostalgia trip Delilah? I love it here in Yorkshire but I miss the smell of the sea and I still hear rivet guns and the sounds of the shipyards when I come home. It's my age!!
Ken do you have access to any family history websites? Ancestry have British Telephone directory records from 1880 to 1984 .I had a brief search and there was a J.C.Egner residing in and running a "Pork Stores" in Gosforth, Newcastle (quite posh) in 1945.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Hello,

I sent a reply yesterday but it has for some reason not been published. So here goes again.
Thanks for taking the time to see if the old shop is still there. I look forward to see the outcome.

Again May thanks.

Ken
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Thanks Wigwam for the info. I am a member of ancestory.com but if they have those records I have missed them. Will take another look. Yes I have traced the Egner line to 1660 and still working on it.

Ken
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Well I was right. The pork shop I remember as Mattimore's was indeed 384 South Eldon Street . Sadly it has been converted from a shop into a house. It used to have lovely tiled walls in beautiful colours which I used to run my fingers along as I waited in the long long queue to be served. Will ask around among my older relatives for any memories they have.
Someone on here might have an old photo of the shop.
The cinema connection is interesting as at one time I can remember 11 cinemas in South Shields.
As for the pease pudding my mother used to make it with bacon bones for flavouring. On special occasions a ham shank would be substituted. She baked her own bread and a home made bread bun with ham and pease pudding was a real treat.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I can remember 12 cinemas in Shields, I remember exactly where they
all were but I can't remember all of their names, some changed names
a few times.

8)
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Thanks for the shop info and yes any photos would be more than great.

You have all got my juices going and Sandra has been shopping for my peas and a ham shank today. Its time to have another gop !!!

Ken
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Crown, Imperial, Palace, Westoe ( Chi) , Pavilion, Plaza, Picture House( Essoldo)Regent, Odeon, Gaumont(Scala) Savoy are the ones I can remember Baldy
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Delilah,

The list of cinemas are interesting.What is the Chi after Westoe please? I ask because I don't know which cinema he owned but folk in the past refered to it a the CHAY.The CHAY is not the spelling but the way it was pronounced or should I say the way I heard it as a kid. could this be it ?

Ken
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Delilahcat wrote:Crown, Imperial, Palace, Westoe ( Chi) , Pavilion, Plaza, Picture House( Essoldo)Regent, Odeon, Gaumont(Scala) Savoy are the ones I can remember Baldy
All there except the Palladium

Was the Imperial the one near Whites Dairy.

8)
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

kenbaker wrote:Delilah,

The list of cinemas are interesting.What is the Chi after Westoe please? I ask because I don't know which cinema he owned but folk in the past refered to it a the CHAY.The CHAY is not the spelling but the way it was pronounced or should I say the way I heard it as a kid. could this be it ?

Ken
The Chi was known as the flea pit and was on Chichester Road near the Cyprus pub. Another old cinema was the Tivvoli that was turned into Allens store at Laygate
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Fancy forgetting the Palladium at the Nook :oops:
Yes Baldy the Imperial was in Farnham Road near Whites Dairies.
Ken the Westoe Cinema was in Chichester Road. Instead of pronouncing Chichester like the place name people in Shields pronounce it Chai-chester. So the cinema was called the Chi - pronounced Chai. It is now a snooker hall. It was considered a bit of a flea pit compared with the likes of the Odeon and the Regent.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Living in Ashley Road the Impy was my local flea pit. 7d front stalls 10d back stalls shilling upstairs. I think the closest to the South Eldon Street shop would be the Crown in Hudson Street. I remember my mam telling me that jam jars were accepted as currency in the days of silent films.I wonder where the cashiers put them all. those kiosks were tiny!!! :D :D :D :D
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Hi. Ken,
Couple of sites you may be interested in.The first shows Kennedys pub at 418 South Eldon Street ,with,to the right,some cars parked on a slight bank.Your grandfathers shop would have been somewhere on that bank. The second site shows The Chi cinema after its closure when it was used by redifussion as a store/workshop I believe. Had your pease pud yet?
www.south-shields-online.info/POSS/kennedys/
www.bornyesterday.org.uk. Click on theatres.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Hello again and many thanks for the info. What with the Christmas hols and the grandkids being off school I have not been on the web much at all so sorry for a late reply.
I do appreciate everyone efforts and help.
Yes I brewed the peas pud and even did a ham shank with it, and the grandkids looked at it and said "that's disgusting" but after some time I managed to get two of the three to try it and they actually admitted they liked it !!! If I say it myself it was not at all bad. Made a great change from turkey and chestnut stuffing.
Hope you all enjoyed the hols.

Ken
Wakefield.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Did you get a chance to have a look please?

Ken
margaret6068
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by margaret6068 »

Hi, in reply to everyone that mentioned Mattimore's pork butchers, that was my grandparents shop. All the pies were home made in the shop by Mrs Mattimore (my grandmother) and yes they were old family recipes that unfortunately died with them. Scott & Siebers was my great grandparents, they were German. Thanks for all the nice remarks made. I would love to get some photo's of either shop if anyone has any lurking about I would be over the moon to see them. Margaret
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

No photos Margaret but lots of memories. Your grandfather Harry was a good friend of my fathers. They used to drink in Kenedys pub a bit further down the bank from the shop. Your grandmother Lena had the most beautiful skin and blonde hair. She worked really hard both serving and making things like the pies and pease pudding in the back shop. My friend went away to college and the first thing she always did when she came home was go to Mattimore's for one of their pork sandwiches.
The people who took over just weren't the same.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Hi Delilahcat

Did you get a chance to check the house numbers please?

Ken Baker
Wakefield.