Egner Butcher's shop.

Local History for Tyne & Wear
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Egner Butcher's shop.

Post by kenbaker »

I am researhing my family history and am after any details or possible photographs of my Grand father's Butcher shop in South Shields and Cleadon and I believe somewhere else in the area. His name was John Christian Egner and ran the shops around 1900 - 1955.

Does anyone know of the Anglo Iron Foundry and its work around the War time in Tyne Dock please?

Ken Baker
Wakefield.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Re: Egner Butcher's shop.

Post by Wigwam »

Hello Ken
I'm sure you already know that the Egner family were German immigrants who opened pork butchers shops all over the country.John Christian had one in South Eldon Street South Shields;Listed in 1901 Cencus and in Kellys directory for 1930.A George
August Egner had a shop in Jarrow and his son Bill became head of South Shields Grammer School.Hope this helps.
There is a record of the Anglo Iron Foundry in Templetown Tyne Dock being bombed in 1941.Until quite recently there was aTaylors Foundry in the same area but I'm not sure if that's the same place.Jimmy or Curly will probably know.
Last edited by Wigwam on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

My dad worked at Charles Taylors Iron Foundry in Templetown all his life until he retired in 1975. He worked there during the war so I don't think the foundry in question was anything to do with Taylor's
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

I just wondered if Taylors might have been hit the same night as Redheads Delilah? I'm 73 but I can't remember an Anglo Iron Foundry. Perhaps it closed after the war?
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Hello All,

The night the Anglo Foundry was hit my father's brother who was on fire watching and who was working there was killed . I have photos of the results of the raid and it made quite a mess. I don't think there was any connection with the other foundry.

Re the Egners side and the Pork Butcher, yes my Grand dad came over from Chrispenhophen late 1800s and settled in Cleadon later moving to a House in the same village called "Bonaccord" that is still there although it also suffered a hit by bombers that blew out the front of the house.
I am interested if anyone has any photo of the old butchers shop and any idea when it was demolished if in deed it was.

Thanks

Ken Baker
Wakefield.
Last edited by kenbaker on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Wigwam wrote:I just wondered if Taylors might have been hit the same night as Redheads Delilah? I'm 73 but I can't remember an Anglo Iron Foundry. Perhaps it closed after the war?
Here's a reference to the Anglo Iron foundry, found at

http://www.bpears.org.uk/NE-Diary/Inc/ISeq_14.html

Immediately after the 'Alert', enemy aircraft became very active and there was an intense barrage from ground defences. At 23.45, 4 HE bombs of medium calibre dropped on Henry Wilson's Timber Yard, Tyne Dock, Clayton and Armstrong's Timber Yard, Tyne Dock, the Anglo Iron Foundry, Tyne Dock and a dwelling house and shop in Porchester Street.

8)
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

The same night as the foundry was bombed Whitburn Colliery was also bombed.

23.50.. Co Durham.. Two PMs dropped at Whitburn Colliery causing one serious and eight minor casualties. An unexploded mine located just below high water mark half a mile S of Lizard Point.

When I started at the pit in 1961 an old miner had a locker in the pit baths next to mine. The first time we were walking naked from the clean side to our dirty lockers to put our pit clothes on I noticed how his body was covered with horrendous scars. Later in the canteen I asked another old miner about the scars and if Marky had been happed up down pit and he told me the tale.
Quite a few of the miners who lived in the pit village next to Souter lighthouse where in the Home Guard and they took turns to man a trench on the cliff tops in the event of a German invasion and to act as a fire watch for the pit head.On the night of the raid a German bomber dropped two parachute mines, they thought they were German paratroopers and opened fire with their rifles, unfortunately they hit one and it exploded blowing them all out of the trench, Marky was blown about fifty foot and seriously injured, another one who was blown out of the trench without any apparent injury suffered severe shock and ended up in Cherry Knowles hospital and he was still alive in there in the 60s.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Hi again Ken.
Is that your family website http://www.egner.org.uk. ? That's quite a history.Pork butchers are still very much a part of North East life thanks to your ancestors.I, like you, live in Yorkshire now,but whenever I go "home" I always visit Dicksons and load up with goodies, although I'm not sure if pease pudding (which sells by the truck load in the N.E.) is a German or English dish?
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

The hit in Porchester Street left a gap in the houses on the odd numbered side which remained until the street was eventually cleared in the seventies. We used to play there and use it as a short cut to the allotments on 'The Ash.'
The local pork shop we used was Mattimore's in South Eldon Street. Mrs Mattimore was from a family of German pork butchers I think the Siebers. She was a very fair skinned lady with flaxen hair.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

I remember a Scott & Siebers in Mile End Road. They made great pies. :) :) :)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

As did Mattimore's. Mrs M used to be in the back shop making them early in the morning before she came out to serve. It was probably a family recipe. Never tasted such good stuff since. Happy days.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the info from all its great to hear from you.
I can confirm that I was introduced to P P udding by Johann Christian who used to make and sell it in Crispenhophen before they came over to the UK. That with Ham shank !!! Our local Morrisons supermarket do a canned version of P.P. which if loaded with lots of salt iis quite OK.
Thanks also for the WW2 info. Yes I think the bombs spelt out the end of the Anglo Foundry as I can not remember my Greand dad talking of it being around after the war when I visited as a kid, but I could be wrong.
My connections to your area have now all passed away, even the Anties and Uncles and I do miss the "upnorth " visits.
Well if you can think of anything else please do let me know. One thing I can not verify is that Johann Christian always said that they owned a picture house but as I was only a kid at the time it did not mean much interest to me at the time.

Thanks again,

Ken
Wakefield.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

P.S.

Does anyone know if there is any "original" housing in South Eldon Street? I see on Google world it exists but is seems very modern now.

Ken
Wakefield.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

I believe there are a few of the old houses still standing at the Tyne Dock end of South Eldon Street Ken.,but I'll leave the locals to confirm or "put me right" on that. That tinned Pease Pud is rubbish.I make my own! I bet your Grandas was great!!!
:) :) :)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Having had a very close look at South Eldon Street on Google Earth
I'm sure that none of the original houses are left.

8)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Part of the original South Eldon Street still exists. Even numbers from 376 down to Kennedys pub. This is a parade of shops with flats above.
Odd numbers from the end of St Marys Terrace to the junction with Barehirst Street. The 'new' houses run on the even side from where the old railway bridge was parallel with Taylor Street.
I used to live at 374.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

In the Wards directory for 1930 the Egners were living at 384 South Eldon Street, only a few doors from where Delilah used to live.So does that mean 384 still exists?
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I would think so as it was only a matter of 5 houses down from where I lived and those houses are still there. Mind 1930 was a bit before my time. It could have been the pork shop I was referring to before the Mattimore's took it over. Will try and check the numbers sometime.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Hello again,

Wigwam which do you use when you make P.P. a ham shank meat or the newer version using bacon. I'm a ham shank man myself !!!!!

Ken
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Hi Ken,
I've used both but because I make pease soup at the same time I find I get a better flavour using bacon bones rather than a bacon joint,but a ham shank is best for chunks of meat to eat with stottie cake. I'm drooling at the mouth just thinking about it. :D :D :D p.s. It's looking as if one of your grandads shops might still be standing.Google search engine shows a Tandoori takeaway at 400 So Eldon St. and an Indian restaurant at 378 so I assume 384 is still there.Delilah was going to check next time she's in the area.