Egner Butcher's shop.

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Egner Butcher's shop.

Post by Delilahcat »

Yes Ken and it was 384. The shop has now been converted into a house. My cousin Barbara who is in her eighties can remember when it was Egner's.
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

My aunt who lived in the old family home on thornton avenue until she dies used to work in Benny Balls butcher shop in the 60's, i believe it was the second or third shop down from the top of the bank, the first being a grocer which was run by a very scary fella.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

The grocers shop used to be run by Stan Barraclough when I lived round there.Don't know if he was the scary bloke.
kenbaker
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by kenbaker »

Delilahcat
Many many thanks for taking the time to find this all out for me. If you can scorce a photo of the old shop, either as a shop or the new house that would be great. Its amaising how many people are interested in the old days and I thank you all for your help.

Ken Baker
Wakefield.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Ken on the second page of this thread is a post from Margaret whose grandparents had the pork butchers shop. I'm guessing her dad is Terry Mattimore. The family might have some old photos. I'm happy to take a photo after my hols of how the shop looks now it's a house.