TYNE DOCK STATION

Local History for Tyne & Wear
plewsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

TYNE DOCK STATION

Post by plewsy »

anyone got any pictures of tynedock train station ,my grandad was a guard there in the 1920s to the 1940s

this is the only picture i have seen

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: TYNE DOCK STATION

Post by brian c »

Ther you go Plewsey, sorry about the quality....

boldon Lane at Tyne Dock station...

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

what part of tyne dock is this photo i just can not get my barings right on it ?
plewsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by plewsy »

thanks brian the pictures are amazing
as for the one i posted ,i have no idea about it ,it just said tyne dock station ,sorry i cant help more .
i tried to figure it out myself but didnt get anywhere
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

jimmywizz wrote:what part of tyne dock is this photo i just can not get my barings right on it ?
Jimmy this is the caption that goes with the photo.

Hope it makes things a bit clearer.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

The 1969 picture shows the old 21 Club and the Royal pub. In the background you can see the Wrights biscuit factory chimney. My great grandfather George Angus and his sons all worked on the railway. He was made to retire at the age of eighty. Then he went and got a job with the Jarrow Tram company and worked there till he was nearly ninety. They bred them tough in those days. He died in 1933 and is buried in St Simon's churchyard.
I can remember Railway Cottages which were across the bridge shown on one of the pictures. Don't think they were demolished until the mid seventies.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

21 club spent a few fruitful evenings in there 8)
I voted leave

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Trust you to lower the tone :D
Mind I think a few of us would prefer to forget about the 21 Club!
robadair
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by robadair »

Delilahcat wrote:Trust you to lower the tone :D
Mind I think a few of us would prefer to forget about the 21 Club!
Yeah, me included. I had my 1st-time-around wedding do there, it burnt down not long after!

My Great nana used to live in Station Cottages until they were demolished, definately in the mid 70's.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Hi All
I'm a learner at this. Super photos of the station which my Dad used most days when he worked at the Co-op bakery at East Boldon.Didn't Jack Leighton own the 21 Club? I'm another who spent or misspent some time there.
Bladerunner
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Bladerunner »

I know I'm three years too late but did no-one ever figure this out? Hudson Street crossed the track at Tyne Dock Station by a level crossing, later on (I don't know why) they diverted Hudson Street, dug a cutting and went under the track instead, hence the old stone arch and retaining walls that are there now, I think you would need to be hovering in mid air to take that pic now.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

Bladerunner wrote:I know I'm three years too late but did no-one ever figure this out? Hudson Street crossed the track at Tyne Dock Station by a level crossing, later on (I don't know why) they diverted Hudson Street, dug a cutting and went under the track instead, hence the old stone arch and retaining walls that are there now, I think you would need to be hovering in mid air to take that pic now.
so are any of those buildings above still around today ?
Bladerunner
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Bladerunner »

well its years since I was down there (used to work thereabouts)......I think straight in front of the photographer is where Crown Taxi's office is now, and the house going out of shot to the right was later turned into a club or bar, which I see has been demolished and replaced with a car park. On Google Earth (and an old map) it looks like what is now Belle Vue Terrace is the end of the original Hudson Street, which went straight down over the level crossing (before the church was built) and along what is left of it now to the point where it met Lord Nelson Street. I've got a book or a cutting somewhere explaining why Hudson Street was diverted and when.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

still a strugle to place it, because there should be a pub in view and also the old school that is now the crown bingo
Bladerunner
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Bladerunner »

OK , let me see if I can orientate you. Forget what I said before about the location of the photographer, I dug out a better quality pic and I see I had it back to front. It doesnt help that the present Metro station is a few yards further south than when the pic was taken.

The photographer is standing in the vicinity of the present Newcastle bound platform. Station Cottages are to the left of the picture. The track to South Shields is going off to his right, if it was there now it would pass the flats in Whitehead Street. I think Whitfield Villa's are built on the old trackbed. (Don't forget the Metro follows the old colliery line into Shields, not the BR one through High Shields). Hudson Street (or Boldon Lane) crosses the track left to right. I would place the Signal Box in the far left of the photo near enough where the arch bridge crosses Hudson Street now, and if you could superimpose today's view on the pic you might just see the very end of the Crown Bingo building coming in from the right where the big house is.

In fact I'm looking on Google Streetview now and wondering if the old bricked up chapel or whatever it is next to the Crown Bingo is the original station building??

Obviously everything has skewed around during the redevelopment in the 1880's. Hope it makes sense, I spent about 3 hours working that out. :)
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Tyne Dock Station circa 1900.

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

The old building next to the Crown was originally a school mainly for the children of railway workers. My grandma who was born in the early 1880s went there. It was replaaced by St Marys school in Whitehead St and I believe it was used as an Ambulance Hall. My daughter went to dancing classes there in the mid seventies.
Bladerunner
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Bladerunner »

Good pic, but it must have taken before the level crossing was replaced by the underpass in 1883. Could this spot now be the Crown Bingo car park, with the Ambulance Hall along from the big (stationmasters?) house on the right?