Frederick St.

local History for Tyne & Wear, please leave your false teeth & walking sticks at reception
styx
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Re: Frederick St.

Post by styx »

The shop with the nuts and bolts etc., was john coates shop called King Tuts i think

windmillbill
Big Gob
Big Gob
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Frederick St.

Post by windmillbill »

yes John Coates shop was King Tuts, I remember him from the 1950s selling bundles of sticks from Embleton ave. at the hill. His mother sold toffee cakes to us kids and she had a stall in the market, good old times.

User avatar
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: south shields

Re: Frederick St.

Post by siam sam »

Delilahcat wrote:Mackays was the DIY store on the right hand side as you walked down from Laygate to Tyne Dock.
The shop I think people are referring to is Cracketts. I used to live in that area and shopped in Frederick Street you could get everything there. A packet of needles, one cup, one plate, a couple of curtain hooks, one fuse.
I know John Crackett well he is quite a character, has some good stories about traders in frederick street, he would know the history of the street. siam sam.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

marsden_rock
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:17 am

Re: Frederick St.

Post by marsden_rock »

I left Shields in the late 60's. Just browsing and came across this excellent site.

My Gran was from originally from Tyne Dock but lived up at the Nook. She still went down to Frederick Street every Saturday morning for her shopping and I remember our weekly visit to Poretta's for a savoury dip. Dread to think what they put into that steaming cauldron but I can still recall the great taste. Usually popped over the road to the comic shop - second hand for a penny and swap them back two for one. Still remember buying my first record round the corner.

Was on a visit last month and walked down Frederick Street. Didn't recognise much after 50 years!

User avatar
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Not Laygate Anymore.

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Pooter »

marsden_rock wrote:I left Shields in the late 60's. Just browsing and came across this excellent site.

My Gran was from originally from Tyne Dock but lived up at the Nook. She still went down to Frederick Street every Saturday morning for her shopping and I remember our weekly visit to Poretta's for a savoury dip. Dread to think what they put into that steaming cauldron but I can still recall the great taste. Usually popped over the road to the comic shop - second hand for a penny and swap them back two for one. Still remember buying my first record round the corner.

Was on a visit last month and walked down Frederick Street. Didn't recognise much after 50 years!
That would be the Handy Shop in Walpole Street where a lot of us started our record collections. I still have some 45s I bought there in the 1960s.

martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Frederick St.

Post by martymont »

Does anybody remeber the name of the bookshop that was on the opposite side of the street of the Adam and Eve about half way down sold new and second hand books only nothing else.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8056
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Pooter wrote:
marsden_rock wrote:I left Shields in the late 60's. Just browsing and came across this excellent site.

My Gran was from originally from Tyne Dock but lived up at the Nook. She still went down to Frederick Street every Saturday morning for her shopping and I remember our weekly visit to Poretta's for a savoury dip. Dread to think what they put into that steaming cauldron but I can still recall the great taste. Usually popped over the road to the comic shop - second hand for a penny and swap them back two for one. Still remember buying my first record round the corner.

Was on a visit last month and walked down Frederick Street. Didn't recognise much after 50 years!
That would be the Handy Shop in Walpole Street where a lot of us started our record collections. I still have some 45s I bought there in the 1960s.
Still got my collection of Beatles LPs I got from there.

User avatar
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 9416
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:39 pm
Location: king of the rocks

Re: Frederick St.

Post by mr-angry »

Hate to pee on your parade, but Frederick St is so dilapidated, even the second hand shops are boarded up.
They should bulldoze the whole street, it's beyond help and makes the town look worse than a third world country. :oops:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here

buntix
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Re: Frederick St.

Post by buntix »

I worked in Smiths Furnishers, in Laygate, from 1962 till 1966. They had an entrance into Frederick Street down the back stairs.
My first job in november was to clear the snow outside the shop. The shop was partly over the top of a grocery store. Was this Moores? I remember an indian restaurant across the road, which had delicious currys. I think it was the next block down from Finefair.
There was also a G.U.S. store near to Smiths in Frederick Street.

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Marsden South Shields

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Delilahcat »

Bought my first furniture from there when we set up home in 1963. It cost £100 for a three piece suite and £95 for a dining room suite which was quite expensive in those days.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8056
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Delilahcat wrote:Bought my first furniture from there when we set up home in 1963. It cost £100 for a three piece suite and £95 for a dining room suite which was quite expensive in those days.
Paid £100 for our first of many 3 pieces from Woodhouse in King Street in 1973. When you consider that the average tradesmans wage in 1963 was only about £20 per week, would guess that would be about £2500 today.You rmust have been a rich snob in them days. :D :D :D

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Marsden South Shields

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Delilahcat »

I wish! Like lots of couples then we were engaged for 18 months and saved up for our furniture. Scrimped and saved out of our joint wages of about £25 a week. Husband to be had always saved since he was a lad so you could say I married him for his money :D :D :D Mind my dad paid for the wedding as they did in those days. Even saved his coppers for the 'hoy oot' as we didn't want the local kids shouting 'shabby wedding.' Remember that.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8056
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Delilahcat wrote:I wish! Like lots of couples then we were engaged for 18 months and saved up for our furniture. Scrimped and saved out of our joint wages of about £25 a week. Husband to be had always saved since he was a lad so you could say I married him for his money :D :D :D Mind my dad paid for the wedding as they did in those days. Even saved his coppers for the 'hoy oot' as we didn't want the local kids shouting 'shabby wedding.' Remember that.


It was amazing how the word spread amongst us kids at Marsden whenever there was a wedding,there would be about 20 or so of us scrambling about in the road to get the coppers thrown out of the brides car. I suppose Health and Safety laws stopped that tradition as it was a miracle no one was ever ran over in the scramble.

Nice photo in the Gazette by the way.

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Marsden South Shields

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Delilahcat »

Good job it didn't show how blue my hands were it was bloomin' freezing last Saturday.
But back to the old traditions....did you ever hang around to get a 'christening bag' when people brought their babies to church to get baptised. Usually contained cake, sweets and a two shilling piece ( well that was the going rate when my kids were done.) I think those customs have all died out now.

User avatar
StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: The Nook

Re: Frederick St.

Post by StottieCake »

Delilahcat wrote: Even saved his coppers for the 'hoy oot' as we didn't want the local kids shouting 'shabby wedding.' Remember that.
I would be thrilled if I picked up a tanner or threpenny bit, but me being one of the youngest in my street, the older kids were better at the scramble. My fingers were often stamped upon :evil:

Talking of health & safety, I remember my dad joking about heating up money over the fire on a hot shovel before the hoy oot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8056
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Delilahcat wrote:Good job it didn't show how blue my hands were it was bloomin' freezing last Saturday.
But back to the old traditions....did you ever hang around to get a 'christening bag' when people brought their babies to church to get baptised. Usually contained cake, sweets and a two shilling piece ( well that was the going rate when my kids were done.) I think those customs have all died out now.
Never seen a "christening bag" for years. I know we had them when our three were christened, but sadly I think having young babies christened is also dieing out.

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Marsden South Shields

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Delilahcat »

Last Christening I went to was when my now 12 year old twin granddaughters were christened about eleven and a half years ago. They are Catholics so I think they are one of the groups who still keep it up.

User avatar
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Not Laygate Anymore.

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Pooter »

buntix wrote:I worked in Smiths Furnishers, in Laygate, from 1962 till 1966. They had an entrance into Frederick Street down the back stairs.
My first job in november was to clear the snow outside the shop. The shop was partly over the top of a grocery store. Was this Moores? I remember an indian restaurant across the road, which had delicious currys. I think it was the next block down from Finefair.
There was also a G.U.S. store near to Smiths in Frederick Street.
No, Moores was further down on the corner of Bertram Street.

User avatar
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Barney »

Someone should have a natter with Barry Swainston, who has the tobacco and sweet shop in Whiteleas. His dad used to have the shop in Laygate just at the end of Frederick Street, and Barry used to work there in the 60's & 70's, before opening the shop in Whiteleas, so he would have some good info about the Street in those days.

Just a thought...
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.

User avatar
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 9416
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:39 pm
Location: king of the rocks

Re: Frederick St.

Post by mr-angry »

Barney wrote:Someone should have a natter with Barry Swainston, who has the tobacco and sweet shop in Whiteleas. His dad used to have the shop in Laygate just at the end of Frederick Street, and Barry used to work there in the 60's & 70's, before opening the shop in Whiteleas, so he would have some good info about the Street in those days.

Just a thought...
I can remember that shop, it's a Chinky takeaway now.
There was also a tobacco shop at the top of Imeary street (Westoe) we used to call it Mrs Miles, you could get your single tabs from there for about 3P
we used to call them "loosey's". :oops:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here

Post Reply

Return to “Tyneside Old Codgers History Room”