Frederick St.

Local History for Tyne & Wear
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Frederick St.

Post by homesick »

Can anyone remember a shop in Frederick St. opposite Maxwells that sold nuts and bolts etc. and you could by only one if that was all you needed?
bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Frederick St.

Post by bamboo »

i think the shop was owned by a guy called coates . he used to also run car boat sales .
back by popular demand
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

Was it Mackays?
bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo »

pooter, mackays was a furniture store.i think homesick is refering to the shop that sold anything from nuts and bolts to bits of material and part rolls of cellotape and the like .
back by popular demand
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

i remember the shop
but cant think of the name
your right tho
you could buy loads of stuff in there
dave 1956
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by dave 1956 »

was it not called spraggons u could buy anything there
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

bamboo wrote:i think the shop was owned by a guy called coates . he used to also run car boat sales .
Did he not have the second hand shop (goldfinger?) on the corner of the street where the second hand record place the Handy shop was.
Bamboo did John Coates not have your carpet warehouse many years ago?
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

bamboo wrote:pooter, mackays was a furniture store.i think homesick is refering to the shop that sold anything from nuts and bolts to bits of material and part rolls of cellotape and the like .
You could be right - it's been 40 years since I shopped there.
bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo »

Bamboo did John Coates not have your carpet warehouse many years ago?
aye thats him,he used to rent it off the guy i bought it from.he used to do indoor boot sales from there.

Did he not have the second hand shop (goldfinger?) on the corner of the street where the second hand record place the Handy shop was.

that was another guy but i think he was also called john . biggish guy with a beard..his second name eludes me

update by jimmy john from goldfingers has moved to here http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co. ... niture.htm
back by popular demand
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

The name Cracketts or Crocketts came to mind maybe this will jog a few memories.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Mackays was the DIY store on the right hand side as you walked down from Laygate to Tyne Dock.
The shop I think people are referring to is Cracketts. I used to live in that area and shopped in Frederick Street you could get everything there. A packet of needles, one cup, one plate, a couple of curtain hooks, one fuse.
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

Yes,Delilahcat ,the name eventually came to me.I was brought up in Taylor St. in the 60's and have many fond memories .Frederick St. used to be as busy as King St. in its' hayday.I was down there a few weeks ago and a lump came to my throat when I thought what it used to be like.
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

Delilahcat wrote:Mackays was the DIY store on the right hand side as you walked down from Laygate to Tyne Dock.
The shop I think people are referring to is Cracketts. I used to live in that area and shopped in Frederick Street you could get everything there. A packet of needles, one cup, one plate, a couple of curtain hooks, one fuse.
.................a decent saveloy and biscuit from Fishers, fish cakes from Fyffes, beefburgers from Joe Cooper, your shoes repaired at Halls, your groceries from Moores, your fruit and veg from Quigleys, medical advice dispensed by Mr Sanderson at Darkes, a new bike from Harmers and the name of the toy shop escapes me.
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Goldfinger's second hand shop was owned by Chris White's dad, I don't know his first name though.
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Pooter the name of the shop selling toys and prams was Clarkes. They had a branch in Ocean Road.
There was also Hammonds, known as the Remnant shop where you could buy curtain or dress material. Axelbands kept the old ladies like my gran supplied with corsets and knicker elastic and new hair ribbons for me. you could even buy tripe in a little shop off Frederick Street.
As I got older I would often buy a new dress from Shanes fashions. We seldom went 'down street' as everything was there in Frederick Street.
My gran used to take me to the Palace two or three times a week and there was even a sweet shop next door to buy you toffees. Happy days.
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

Clarkes! That was it.

You're right you didn't have to go far for anything and if you wanted records there was always the Handy Shop in Walpole Street. It ws all a different world then.
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

Wasn't there a shoe repair business at the top near Laygate where you had to go up loads of steps to get to it? Masons,I think it was called.I worked at Finefair where t he Palace used to be. We earned the princely sum of 2/6d and worked 8 hours a week after school.Loads of free sweets etc. Wink wink
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

mr-angry wrote:Goldfinger's second hand shop was owned by Chris White's dad, I don't know his first name though.
john i think
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

homesick wrote:Wasn't there a shoe repair business at the top near Laygate where you had to go up loads of steps to get to it? Masons,I think it was called.I worked at Finefair where t he Palace used to be. We earned the princely sum of 2/6d and worked 8 hours a week after school.Loads of free sweets etc. Wink wink
Was the shoe shop in an old church? I have an old photo of Frederick Street taken in 1900 which has a church at the top end.

I worked in FineFair in the market place I think we got 2/6 an hour as well and worked 2 nights of 4 hours each.
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

Yes,the shop was inside a church, but I can't recall the name of the church