Frederick St.

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Frederick St.

Post by Delilahcat »

The church was a presbyterian church. There was a picture in the gazette recently. Think it was called the Laygate Presbyterian church. Think the cobblers was called Halls. They had a few shops and employed a number of people who were profoundly deaf and could only communicate with sign language.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

There was a police station underneath the church, the entrance to
the police station was around the rear of the church.

8)
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Hi All My wife and I were both born in Shields but have lived in Yorkshie for the last 25 years. We're not just new to "blogging" I've still got my L plates on my laptop.With regards to Frederick Street my wifes gran had a second hand furniture shop in the area, possibly in Walpole Street.Her name was Sally Morton.The names of the many shops in the area has got us thinking.Didn't Olsens have a pet shop in So. Frederick Street ?
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Hi Wigwam :hello: welcome to the boards ..
yes i remeber that pet shop , didnt they have a Parrot in that didnt have any feathers on ,,it was shocking how the animals were kept .
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Hi Anna,
Thanks for the welcome.You're right about the state of the animals.I think they had a chimp as well. I have a disc with a list of residents and businesses in Shields in 1930 and some shops mentioned on this board were there in 1930.Axelbands had 3 addresses in Frederick Street.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Wigwam wrote:Hi All My wife and I were both born in Shields but have lived in Yorkshie for the last 25 years. We're not just new to "blogging" I've still got my L plates on my laptop.With regards to Frederick Street my wifes gran had a second hand furniture shop in the area, possibly in Walpole Street.Her name was Sally Morton.The names of the many shops in the area has got us thinking.Didn't Olsens have a pet shop in So. Frederick Street ?
Welcome to the boards Wigwam, we definitely need some new blood on here. Can remember Olsens pet shop moving to Western Approach/New Green Street area and am sure he was prosecuted for ill treatment of his animals.
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

i think your right Pete , about him getting done ...
Wigwam, i remeber a few shops that were popular Shanes was the place to go if you had a provy ticket :D
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

I also remember Mudd's which was a sweet shop near Joe Coopers butchers. The son Thomas went to Barnes Road.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Anna My better half tells me she bought a lot of gear from Shanes. I was born in Ashley Road (not the posh side we had an outside netty) but I remember my Mam taking me to Allens for my school uniform when I qualified for the Boys High School.That must have been in 1947 and she probably paid with Allens money,cos as with most families cash was tight in those days.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

There is a picture of the church we were talking about in tonights Gazette. The picture is of Frederick St just before the first world war.
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Was the Ice-cream parlour called "Poretta's"? A sort of rip-off version of Minchella's.
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

mr-angry wrote:Was the Ice-cream parlour called "Poretta's"? A sort of rip-off version of Minchella's.
When you turn into Reading Road from Temple Park Road the first bungalow on the right has a Poretta ice cream mobile kiosk parked in the drive way. It has never moved for at least 20 years.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Delilahcat wrote:There is a picture of the church we were talking about in tonights Gazette. The picture is of Frederick St just before the first world war.
Can remember going with our school to carol service at that church in the 50s.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Porrettas had an ice cream parlour in Frederick Street. I think they were an old established South Shields Italian family like the Minchellas and Staianos. I can remember Mr Porretta serving in the shop and he was a very nice man. Their ice cream tasted different from Minchellas - probably a different recipe.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

There were two ice cream parlours in Frederick Street, one was opposite the London and Newcastle
Tea Company and the other was opposite Bruce and Halls just down from the Church on the opposite
side of the road..

8)
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

The chimp in Olsen's was kept in terrible conditions in a tiny cage and was naturally very agressive.I vividly remember going with my kid brother to the pet shop and the chimp ,it was called Bo Bo reached out and grabbed the wooly hat off his head .All the animals were kept in deplorable conditions.
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Nowt to do with the shops, and long before even my time (which is saying something) John Kirkpatrick our local hero-The man with the Donkey is shown in the 1901 census living with his parents at 141 So. Frederick St.
I know I'm sad knowing stuff like this but it beats the hell out of watching Neighbours. Sorry Oz.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Wigwam wrote:Nowt to do with the shops, and long before even my time (which is saying something) John Kirkpatrick our local hero-The man with the Donkey is shown in the 1901 census living with his parents at 141 So. Frederick St.
I know I'm sad knowing stuff like this but it beats the hell out of watching Neighbours. Sorry Oz.
Here's his statue...

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Wigwam
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Wigwam »

Thanks for posting the photo Brian.Isn't it shameful that,contrary to popular belief,he was never awarded a medal for his heroism.He was nominated for the Victoria Cross but for some reason Whitehall blocked it. There are 5 memorials to him in Oz.