Anyone remember

Local History for Tyne & Wear
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Baldy---I'm seeing my dad tonight so i'll ask him if he knows of a water polo playing Carruthers from his side of the family.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

That could be interesting Brian. Carruthers was a huge guy and at the time was very well known in the town. Bob Windle who I worked with lived in Jarrow at the time.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Baldy, I've had a word with dad but he doesn't know of any water polo players in his family but he did say that there was another, unrelated Carruthers family in Shields and they had a toy shop in Ocean Road.

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
baldy.smith

Carruthers

Post by baldy.smith »

It was just a chance that you may have been related Brian. I have the same problem there are one or two Smiths about but not all genuine full blooded ones like me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

I agree-----the elite always arrive sparingly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

It's now a travel agent's shop.
dylantoo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

laygate and the handy shop

Post by dylantoo »

yes, i remember the handy shop well. used to spend all my pocket money in there. it was owned by bill and peg i think.i remember refusing to buy those advance promotion records cos i wanted the real ones like my friends.wish i had bought a few green/white label beatles promo's and kept them.they're worth a mint now.
also, does anyone recall a shop next to allens in laygate called johnsons or johnsons & sons i think. bought my first stereo record player from there.at the same time, my sister bought me the beatles double ep magical mystery tour.
linda
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by linda »

I must be older than all you as I remember all those places. Worked in the mens department at Allens and bought my records at the handy shop. Brings back memories. Guess the old codgers site is the one for me
linda
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

Linda,
noticed in one of your other posts that we were 'born in the same year'.....my first ever Saturday job was in Allens.... in the food department (cutting cheeses and unpacking boxes of bananas with dangerous spiders in them). Also, my mother and aunt worked there for more years than I dare think of.
You're right.......this board is for you!
:shock:
:lol:
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

linda
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by linda »

hi offthewall you must have worked at Allens the same time as me. It was quite stuffy when I worked there but I heard it turned into a dump. Yes Jimmy I recoised the coins We called them toy money. There used to be a fish and chip shop round the corner that we used to go for l;unch They had the best fish and chips.
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

linda wrote:I must be older than all you as I remember all those places. Worked in the mens department at Allens and bought my records at the handy shop. Brings back memories. Guess the old codgers site is the one for me
We lived in John Williamson Street and had all our clothes bought from Allens. If it hadn't been for the Handy Shop we wouldn't have had any records. Great days.
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

If you lived in John Willy and got your clothes from Allens......then we must have met in the queue at the corner bakery on a Saturday for pie and peas, with a jug in your hand for the peas !
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

offthewall wrote:If you lived in John Willy and got your clothes from Allens......then we must have met in the queue at the corner bakery on a Saturday for pie and peas, with a jug in your hand for the peas !
Pies and peas was on Thursday dinner time we had fish and chips from Atkinsons (Marshall Wallis Road) on Saturdays. We used to live at 231.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I was born at 103 Marshall Wallis Road just before WWII.

We used to get Pies and peas from a shop in Eldon Street which did not sell anything else. Stood in many a long queue with a large jug for the peas. We lived just around the corner in Havelock Street.

8)
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

me and baldy

Post by mr-angry »

HEY baldy guess what the first three years of my life were spent at M.W.R
apart from the 30 year gap we have lots in common :lol: :lol:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber