Adelfotis II

Local History for Tyne & Wear
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Adelfotis II

Post by hartman045 »

I have just unearthed a packet of 127 format negatives from 1962. This me and my EX wife. We had married whilst I was on leave from Cyprus. I can't remember much about the wreck mind. Though the pics are bit blurred, I love the 'painterly' effect the cheap lens gives to color film. Sometimes the 'in your face' digital image annoys the life out of me.
Who took the photos? No idea. I remember the ony grafitti around in those days was actiually "freedom from hunger" Didn't have any impact then, and evidently doesn't today.

Last edited by hartman045 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Adelfotis II

Post by sless »

excellent photo
ive got some of a wreck on the big beach off abot 15 years ago
i will see if i can find them
peetsy
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by peetsy »

I remember that 'Freedom From Hunger' was a stunt we did one weekend when I did pre-sea at the Marine School.
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Great photo's. Thanks for posting.
It's quite amazing just how far up the beach it came, almost right up to the road.
Strange shape this ship, not much on deck and like it has a bow at both ends. Anyone know what sort of vessel it was.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

It was a normal freighter but they didn't try to refloat it and it was broken up where it lay and looking at those photos they had already demolished the upperworks of the ship.

Pilot can probably tell you more and I can remember seeing it on the beach when there was only the centre section of the hull left.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Here's a picture of her before the break up
I voted leave

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

These pictures were taken by a Tyne Pilot of the day, shows the ships fate, it actually started life as a British ship built as far as I can remember in Scotland, sold to the Greeks and deemed to be too old to refloat so was broken up where she lay, she ended up on the beach as a result of total engine failure.
I voted leave

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Thanks for posting those additional photo's Pilot. Very interesting indeed and and answers my earlier question very well.

I can't help but wonder how even after complete engine failure, this could happen.

Did the ship have any assistance from tugs, did they also loose all navigational aids ?

Also a bit sad to see a ship broken up like that, right on the beach. It looks so out of place.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Well my guess is the weather was bad and the tugs would not be able to get hold of the ship till it was well up the Harbour, off the fish quay, it would be necessary to have good way on the ship to keep good steerage to get up the harbour, if the engines go the only way to stop the ship is to get the anchors down, I would guess there was no time to do it. It happened to me once in my career but with a much better outcome.
I voted leave

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

As a lad, I remember rushing down to the Groyne to have a look at her when she first went aground. The sea was very rough and waves were crashing into her, sending white water and spray right over her decks and superstructure. It was all very exciting. I had seen ships aground on the Black Middens, but nothing this close before!