MERCHANT NAVY CLUB

Local History for Tyne & Wear
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

MERCHANT NAVY CLUB

Post by martymont »

Have ww2 newspapers, while reading the Sunday Sun July 23 1944 the headlines for the following article was, AND THEY HAVE EARNED IT.
The article reads. How much the appearance of a merchant navy club is welcomed in South Shields and how strong the appreciation of the Merchant Navy was apparent by the obvious sincerity of all the speakers when the club was offically opened by Capt. D Tennant, general secretary of the The Navigating and Engineer Officers Union and Mr. Charles Jarman
acting general secretary of the NUS.
"We owe the survival of Britain to to the failure of the enemy to destroy our line of communication and that it is due in great measure to the high courage of our merchant seamen." said Captain Tennant.

It is most fitting that the town of should have one of the best Merchant Navy clubs in the British Isles." said the Mayor of South Shields (Concillor R H Noble ). When did it shut,
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Re: MERCHANT NAVY CLUB

Post by malaymac »

As kids in the sixties, we were often treated to Sunday lunch there.
Got fond memories of the place and met some nice folks there. :D
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Can remember The Merchant Navy hotel on the bank opposite the North Marine Park, but that was sold many years ago. To the best of my knowledge there is still a Merchant Navy club in Queen Street in Shields.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

The Royal British Legion Club, is at 9 Queen Street Pete, don't know
about the Merchant Navy Club. It's my belief that it was absorbed into
the Seamens Mission.

8)
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

baldy.smith wrote:The Royal British Legion Club, is at 9 Queen Street Pete, don't know
about the Merchant Navy Club. It's my belief that it was absorbed into
the Seamens Mission.

8)
Thats the place I was thinking about Baldy, I am sure thats where the Merchant navy association have their meetings.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

They probably did Pete, I'd ask my brother but he's just gone on holiday.

8)
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

I think it must have been about 1990 when the Merchant Navy club was converted into a nursing home for the elderly.

Our family GP at the time was part of the group involved in the new management team, but I've no idea if it's been a success.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

The Seamans Mission was forced to close because of safety problems.Think it needs a lot of money to repair it so it may never open. They used to put on a party for the old ex seafarers at Christmas and give them food hampers. It would be a shame if that stopped.
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

My Brother Hector Douglas. Deceased bought an English passport off an English Merchant seaman in Auckland New Zealand for Ten Bob put his photo in it, and then hitch hiked down to Wellington caught the ship there as a stoker in the boiler room and was in world WWII in the Mediterranean and he went through the Suez Canal several times. And the first thing My mother knew he was in the merchant Navy was when got a postcard from him post marked Cairo.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by hencree »

the old merchant navy club was where ethel austins shop now stands, on the opposite corner to the british legion club, the manageress was mrs drabble
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I remember the Merchant navy club would meet monthly at the seaman's mission Mill dam during the 1980s when it finished I cant remember. I was never a member.
I voted leave

geordiejean
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordiejean »

the one oppositethe north park was the officers hotel my ex worked there in 1963