Shields Fauna

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Stout
Head Doer
Head Doer

Re: Shields Fauna

Post by Stout »

Saw a pair of Whinchats on a garden wall on Grotto Rd today. Never seen one before so i was well pleased.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

The fauna in South Shields seems to have got a lot more exotic since when I was a lad. I notice that no one seems to have mentioned rats. As kids, we spent hours sitting on the Groyne or south pier at low tide, watching rats going about their business, particularly interesting when they had young with them. Perhaps the river is so much cleaner these days, there's just not enough food for them. It's very encouraging to see so many species of birds living in the town now.
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

ralph wrote:The fauna in South Shields seems to have got a lot more exotic since when I was a lad. I notice that no one seems to have mentioned rats. As kids, we spent hours sitting on the Groyne or south pier at low tide, watching rats going about their business, particularly interesting when they had young with them. Perhaps the river is so much cleaner these days, there's just not enough food for them. It's very encouraging to see so many species of birds living in the town now.
dont kid your self,there still hundreds of rats on the pier and groyne
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Ah Sless, I suppose it had to be so, they are great survivors :) .
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

i fish down there all the time,and see loads of them