SHIELDS FRIENDLY GIANT

Local History for Tyne & Wear
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

SHIELDS FRIENDLY GIANT

Post by martymont »

Big Hec from Whiteleas what a character went to nearly everybodys house did a lot of walking for charity? made sh*tloads of money
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: SHIELDS FRIENDLY GIANT

Post by Delilahcat »

There are mixed opinions on Big Hec.
First of all he wasn't that big height wise. Might have been six foot but certainly not a giant. A lot of the money collected in buckets was diverted into his own pockets although he did collect a lot for charity. He would never entertain collecting with sealed collection tins.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

He did less walking when he was told to register with the charities commission he was tall when you were only 5ft blank
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

even the sealed tins could be robbed ......
i bet he gave more than he took ,,he had nothing ,so if he took a small amount to give himself a meal ,,,well ,dont think the charitys he helped, :( would have minded......
mickey
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mickey »

i remember him going about the bars down town.
the bloke made a fair few quid for charity over the years.
regardless of what he may or may not have done,the fella
was a character who desreves a huge pat on the back for his fund raising efforts imo =D> =D> =D> =D>
IVE GOT A LITTLE BLACK BOOK WITH MY POEMS IN.........
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

He always had that unmistakeable way of walking, lurching from side to side, big strides.
I know he died at a young age, but what actually finished him off ?
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

He used to cause a bit of bother in the Duster on occasion.
He was very unpredictable, and would almost demand you put money in his bucket.
Can't say as I'll miss him as much as I'd miss other characters like Terry or old dodger Wilson.
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.
Bandana Dave
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bandana Dave »

Big Hec = Brian Dowson, His mother was only little, He used ta go shopping for my mother, my mother was disabled and he offered to do a walk to send her to Lourdes, i can still hear my mothers reply now, "Lourdes My Arse" she never did have much time for all that kind of stuff, but everyone is right ,i think he did a bit for charity and a bit for himself and most people gave money knowing this anyways, i think he spent most of it on Cow Pies (Desparate Dan)
"Shy Kids Get no Sweets"
Angie

Post by Angie »

I remember "Big Hec" as a child i was brought up in whiteleas my mam and dad still live there.

"Big Hec" was always kind as i remember, so what if he kept a little for himself, as has already been said people knew this anyway and were still happy to give.

Now Terry awwww lovely Terry, he has a catch phrase but i can't remember what it is ?
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Terrys catch phrase - ee nar the game !

cheers.

gag.
You can take the lad out of Shields, but you cannot take Shields out of the lad !!!!!!!!!!!
Angie

Post by Angie »

Ah that's it hehe i remember now, thanks gag x
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

No comment.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

bic heck was a year above me in school, i remember watching the TV years ago and he was on the local news, he was at hintons in shields trying to beat the world pie eating record, so the camera started to roll and they brought out a tray of pies, he statrted to eat one but said it was too hot, so they waited a bit and started to roll the cameras again, this time he eats a few pies but gives in and blames it on having a big tea before he came out, he then turned around to the cameras and started to sing some elvis tracks, he he pure class
moffetclark
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by moffetclark »

After the publicity of his charity walks, big Hec , ran a raffle in the Red Duster, which didn't go down well with the winner. I can recall Joe Vaughan , winning and when asked for his prize , Big Hec took off his checked jacket an said that was it. Joe, being a slim build short man was no amused!,
callummal
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by callummal »

big hecks boots cost a lot of money size 16 or 18 not sure it was a long time ago he would where a pair out in about three weeks and at around £150 to £200 ago the social wouldn`t pay
Big Dick
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by Big Dick »

Delilahcat wrote:
A lot of the money collected in buckets was diverted into his own pockets although he did collect a lot for charity. He would never entertain collecting with sealed collection tins.

Big Hec.
Councillor ?
portal1977
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by portal1977 »

BIG HEC WASNT A THIEF
HE WAS ACCUSED NEVER PROVEN ALL BECAUSE HE WAS DOING SOMETHING DESCENT
YES HE CARRIED BUCKETS YES HE HAD GOLD BOOTS TO MAKE A STATEMENT WITH AND B4 U GET ON YR HIGH HORSES THEY WHERE PAINTED GOLD
AND HE DIED OF A HEART ATTACK

R.I.P BIG HEC
MAY YR LEGEND LIVE ON AND INSPIRE OTHERS
champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. »

Well said portal1977.. =D>
My mate reckons he's going to a convention for retired shoe repairers today.
Load of old cobblers if you ask me.
Cairngormer7374
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Cairngormer7374 »

jimmywizz wrote:bic heck was a year above me in school, i remember watching the TV years ago and he was on the local news, he was at hintons in shields trying to beat the world pie eating record, so the camera started to roll and they brought out a tray of pies, he statrted to eat one but said it was too hot, so they waited a bit and started to roll the cameras again, this time he eats a few pies but gives in and blames it on having a big tea before he came out, he then turned around to the cameras and started to sing some elvis tracks, he he pure class
I was in same year as him, Do you remmebr the day a couple of yobs came up to the school armed with knives and he grabbed them both by the scruff of the neck lifted them off the ground and then walloped them together? =D> :lol: Looking back I remember the accusations levelled at him, in my opinion if he took some cash for his boots (and maybe a pint as well) all well and good, he did a lot of good and many have done far worse.

RIP Big Hec.