Who filled you with fear at school

Local History for Tyne & Wear
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Who filled you with fear at school

Post by martymont »

Best chippy in shields was jerrys at the top of the street did you hang around them shops or at nevinson
Deka
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Deka »

Are you Martyn Smith
Look to the future
Bandana Dave
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bandana Dave »

Hiya Martymont, I've played music since i was a kid, it's always been the thread that runs through my life, i used to work in the Music Maker Shop in the late 70s, and i know most of the bands who were around at the time, The guitarist out of the Squibs was Vic Malcolm, who was with Geordie, i used to live in Romney ave, do you know Davey Wood and Little Spency (Davey) ? used to be in a band with spencey, also my best mate at the time was Steve Dawson, who was in the Animals with Steve Hutchinson, who used to own Music Maker, me and Dawsa used to sit up all night writing daft songs, then we'd go down to Martin Metcalf's house and play them to him, (Martin now plays in Sabatica, a sabath tribute band) and Steve Dawson is a engineer for Marshall Amplification, i think everyone has a story in them, I used to be a right tearaway when i was young, and got locked up a few times when i was young, but when i moved to Selby 17 years ago i could start again, and now i'm a nice bloke who would do anything for anyone, but ya past is still there, i'ts great just talking about the old days in shields, and it's all true, when i look back i don't know how we got away with it, and it's nice ta have ya memory jogged now and then, isn't it, we proberbly bumped into each other back then, as whiteleas used to be a close knit place then, everybody knew everybody, and luckily enough were still here to tell the tale eh ! keep the memories and the crack comming mate :roll:
Last edited by Bandana Dave on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Shy Kids Get no Sweets"
Bandana Dave
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bandana Dave »

How Deka, Ya sound like ya on "Through The Keyhole" :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Shy Kids Get no Sweets"
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

I remember Vic Malcolm and Lol (Lawrence Marley), I worked on the QE2 for a few months with him back in 1985, for an outfit
called Sinclairs Services, a sub-contracting firm who had regular work on the old boat. Some memories there too.

Anna, was Steve the drummer in the Amazing Squibs ? they always provided a fun night out down at the Neptune.
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

anna wrote:Stephen Pinkney ..????????? its that im sure.. :?:
Yeah, I remember Stephen Pinkney, and I think his brother was Kevin.
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.
rusty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by rusty »

Mr Milne used a bamboo cane it hurt.Same school same time was the PT teacher ex army
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Barney wrote:
anna wrote:Stephen Pinkney ..????????? its that im sure.. :?:
Yeah, I remember Stephen Pinkney, and I think his brother was Kevin.
i got the name right then ... :D
Mala said"Anna, was Steve the drummer in the Amazing Squibs ? they always provided a fun night out down at the Neptune."
im more than sure he played guitar Mala :?:
Deka
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Deka »

Bandana Dave wrote:How Deka, Ya sound like ya on "Through The Keyhole" :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
Look to the future
Bandana Dave
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bandana Dave »

Gota laugh havn't ya :lol: Me and Jeff elliot used to stand in Ted Keys dorway at the "Top Shops" and recite all the patter from Laurel and Hardy films, and all the stupid songs from Monty Python :lol: i remember one time we were p*ssin about outside Swainstons Shop and Barry came out and started chasing us, he was a fit man was Barry, but i just left him standing man, i was fit as hell then, when i was 40 odd i could do 100 metres in 12 seconds, i was asked twice to run for Durham County when i was a kid inside, but i just told them to take a hike, thought i was being clever at the time, what a dick head eh, ah well :lol: used to come in handy when i was running away from coppers :lol: by the way, Barry Swainstons Dad Charlie, used to be the P.E. teacher at Stanhope road school, he had another shop down Laygate,
"Shy Kids Get no Sweets"
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

i love Laurel and Hardy films ... :D
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Aye, them were the days - when you actually ran away from the cops!!
Nowadays, kids just give 'em the finger and take no f'ing notice!

A good lad, Barry Swainston was - probably still is. Couldn't nick much from his shop, as it was always behind glass!!! :lol: Not the same for Bill Rose, though. You could fill ya pockets in his shop, with a little distraction from ya friends!!! :lol: Buggers we were, eh!!!

My mam always used to send me to Keys for corned beef for my dad's bait.
I still love a good corned beef and onion sarny!!

You must've lived near Robert Steadman, Dave?
He was a rough bug*er. Punch you in the face just for lookin' at him!!
Wonder what he's up to these days. He was always getting banned off the buses for causing a scene with the drivers!
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

did Robert Steadman used to sell the gazette down in king street years ago
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

Barry Swainstons Dad Charlie, used to be the P.E. teacher at Stanhope road school, he had another shop down Laygate,

was that the backy shop
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

sless wrote:did Robert Steadman used to sell the gazette down in king street years ago
Yes, he did - although I'd be amazed if they got any money out of him!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

sless wrote:Barry Swainstons Dad Charlie, used to be the P.E. teacher at Stanhope road school, he had another shop down Laygate,

was that the backy shop
Yes, it was. Kind of ironic - a P.E. teacher selling ciggies and backy!!
Snuff, too - all good healthy stuff!!! :lol:
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
Bandana Dave
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bandana Dave »

Hiya Barney, " Bad Bob Steadman" everyone knew him :lol: The Bus drivers used to call him "Cod Eyes" he was alright if ya knew him but still a bit of a headbanger he done some time in Rampton :lol: Deka might know what happened to him ! i used to live in Romney Ave, remember "Bettys" in Nevinson Ave, we used to nick loads of stuff from her shop when wew decided to camp out on "Spook" :lol:

Remember Pauline Pape, Maureen Purvis (Andy Roaches lass) Diane Sword, Sandra Bartlett, Janice Carr, (Jeff Eliots Lass) and a lass from the nook caled "Pasha" (she was tasty) and "Shep" (Ant Shepherd) Davy Wood, Fat Woody (Fletcher Z Christian now) he plays in a Pink Floyd band called Shine on, There Brilliant, Steady, Bri King, i could go on for ever :lol: A good squad of people at that time, we had some right laughs :lol:
"Shy Kids Get no Sweets"
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

did he not attack a lass years ago and get send down for it
i seem to remember somthing like that
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Barry still runs Swainstons shop at whiteleas,,he a canny bloke ..
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Bandana Dave wrote:Hiya Barney, " Bad Bob Steadman" everyone knew him :lol: The Bus drivers used to call him "Cod Eyes" he was alright if ya knew him but still a bit of a headbanger he done some time in Rampton :lol: Deka might know what happened to him ! i used to live in Romney Ave, remember "Bettys" in Nevinson Ave, we used to nick loads of stuff from her shop when wew decided to camp out on "Spook" :lol:

Remember Pauline Pape, Maureen Purvis (Andy Roaches lass) Diane Sword, Sandra Bartlett, Janice Carr, (Jeff Eliots Lass) and a lass from the nook caled "Pasha" (she was tasty) and "Shep" (Ant Shepherd) Davy Wood, Fat Woody (Fletcher Z Christian now) he plays in a Pink Floyd band called Shine on, There Brilliant, Steady, Bri King, i could go on for ever :lol: A good squad of people at that time, we had some right laughs :lol:
Fletcher Z Christian?? :lol: :lol: OK!!

Yep, remember all of them. You'll have lived near the Quantrill's and the Burke's, then.
Shame about Shep's son.
Jeez - it's amazin' who you can remember when you start thinking about people, isn't it?
And even more amazin' who you can't remember!!
What about Alan Russell, from Orpen? He did some time, too.
Where you still about when Alfie Kinghorn killed his drinking partner on Nevi, and stuffed him outta the flat window? That was a lark!! Just along from the Chapman's house.

One of the shops at Nevi was ran by the son of Emily Rose, who lived at 107 Gainsborough. She was an old battleaxe, and there was another one who lived at 93 Gainsborough. Emily's son used to have a shop on Green Lane, then moved to Nevi.

Aye, camping out at Spooky was a good laugh, as long as the rats didn't freak you out!! :lol: :lol:
It's all flat there now. I remember when we found ammo boxes full of live 303 bullets!!!
We "collected" a load of them, and were having fun wi' 'em, until me dad found out!!
He went f'ing ballistic!!!
Then he took all the bullets off us, took 'em apart to remove the cordite and percussion cap, then put 'em back together, and we made belts out of them!
Good times, man, good times!!!
It's a wonder we ever made it out of the '60's!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs