Westoe Lane Station

local History for Tyne & Wear, please leave your false teeth & walking sticks at reception
sandysand
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by sandysand » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:12 am

Postby parkingpatrol » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 pm
Wow this realy takes me back . We used to ride the buppers on the old Marsden Rattler, and the cops caught us in the cow shed before they pulled it down. Sargent Welch lived across the road from the farm house and was not pleased when he caught us. I was about seven years old. Jock the cart horse was a great ride, and tatty picking one of our great adventures, eating naggies down in the caves. Boy those were good days, but there were no vandels then and child snachers had not been heard of. the station was down the path from the farm house, Blackberry Hills.

What are naggies?

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17093
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields
Contact:

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by Pilot » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:20 am

I think he means Snaggies or turnips
I voted leave

Image

baldy.smith

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by baldy.smith » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Pilot wrote:I think he means Snaggies or turnips
We called them Snadgies.

8)

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17093
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields
Contact:

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by Pilot » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:42 pm

Yes your right baldy, my spelling was a bit out :D :D
I voted leave

Image

sandysand
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by sandysand » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks guys i remember snadgie picking, mum used to go mad for stealing them but always remember having them on our plates the next day.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow
Contact:

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by Jarrow Pete » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:07 pm

sandysand wrote:Thanks guys i remember snadgie picking, mum used to go mad for stealing them but always remember having them on our plates the next day.
Remember going out for the day to play in the trees at old mans gardens past cleadon chimney and windmill. When we were hungry we used to get a snadgie from the field for our lunch and eat it by biting off the skin complete with soil and spitting it out before devouring the snadgie.The younger mothers today would have heart attacks if their children did half the things we did.

sandysand
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by sandysand » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Jarrow Pete wrote: Remember going out for the day to play in the trees at old mans gardens past cleadon chimney and windmill. When we were hungry we used to get a snadgie from the field for our lunch and eat it by biting off the skin complete with soil and spitting it out before devouring the snadgie.The younger mothers today would have heart attacks if their children did half the things we did.


Snadgie picking was only one, daffodills from the west park for Mothers day was a fav. :oops:

captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by captain beefheart » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 pm

anyone remember the lad from horsley hill juniors who got his foot trapped in the line and the rattler ran over it, it must have been around 1960 give or take a year

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow
Contact:

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by Jarrow Pete » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:04 pm

captain beefheart wrote:anyone remember the lad from horsley hill juniors who got his foot trapped in the line and the rattler ran over it, it must have been around 1960 give or take a year
Remember it well, it was one of the Luthers from the Hill.

User avatar
Busybea
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: another place

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by Busybea » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:15 pm

I lived in a house near the coop and my grandad was the cobbler there we lived in charles street then we moved further up the road to Arthur street

User avatar
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 24632
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:48 am
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by anna » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:06 pm

:hello:..hi busybea , welcome to the boards ..
we seem to come from the same location .. :D

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:44 pm
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by malaymac » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:34 am

Jarrow Pete wrote:
captain beefheart wrote:anyone remember the lad from horsley hill juniors who got his foot trapped in the line and the rattler ran over it, it must have been around 1960 give or take a year
Remember it well, it was one of the Luthers from the Hill.
Which reminds me of an incident from the 1970's, where one of the lads from Cleadon Park put his arm between the 'buffers'
(those bumper, stopper things that trains have at each end), to dampen the impact when a carriage is joined to another one.
Apparently, he thought they would just be a soft contact and no harm done.

Well, when he did eventually return to school, he had about a hundred stitches in his arm and lucky to be alive. :shock:

jimmywizz

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by jimmywizz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:04 am

hi Busybea welcome to the boards

User avatar
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 9671
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:57 pm
Location: wimbledon

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by brian c » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 pm

The begining c1907..

Image

Near the end c1952..

Image
Image

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:44 pm
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by malaymac » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:50 am

Brilliant photo's Brian, really good to see them.

The pedestrian bridge over the line, are you able to say, where abouts that would be ?

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow
Contact:

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by Jarrow Pete » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 am

malaymac wrote:Brilliant photo's Brian, really good to see them.

The pedestrian bridge over the line, are you able to say, where abouts that would be ?
Bridge was at top of Spohr terrace just before pit entrance . When I worked at Westoe after Whitburn closed used to cross bridge into Iolanthe Terrace and cross Mowbary Road past the stadium and catch no 12 bus home to Marsden from the bus stop at corner of Westcott Avenue and Horsley Hill Road.

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:44 pm
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by malaymac » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 am

Jarrow Pete wrote:
malaymac wrote:Brilliant photo's Brian, really good to see them.

The pedestrian bridge over the line, are you able to say, where abouts that would be ?
Bridge was at top of Spohr terrace just before pit entrance . When I worked at Westoe after Whitburn closed used to cross bridge into Iolanthe Terrace .
I'm sure that's the same bridge that as a 'young un' in the early sixties, we used to stand on when the trains went underneath.
All us little lads thought it was hilarious to disappear and then reappear from the clouds of steam as the train went by. :?

User avatar
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 9671
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:57 pm
Location: wimbledon

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by brian c » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:49 pm

Westoe Lane 1968.........

Image

Westoe Lane 2009........

Image
Image

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

joestone
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by joestone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 am

i was brought up with the rattler running past the bottom of my back garden and i think every kid in the area road the back of the coal wagons it was a sort of right of passage thing. I can rremember the lad losing his leg and my grandmother who if I remember rightly was in her sixties , at the time , and as blind as a bat and deaf as a post , got knockrd over by the rattler and survived. The family story is that when she came to she thought she had had a stroke
the came tough in them days

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Westoe Lane Station

Post by ralph » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 am

What a great thread, with fascinating memories a photos.

Post Reply

Return to “Tyneside Old Codgers History Room”