Help wanted to find photo

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Help wanted to find photo

Post by Delilahcat »

I have been doing my family tree and have now turned my attention to my husband's family.
There is a photo in existence of when the mines were nationalised in 1947 ? showing the ceremony at Boldon Colliery. My husband's granda Tommy Roberts was supposed to be on the photo as he was a staunch union man.
I think I've seen the photo in the gazette and the mural down near the Mill Dam showed the scene.
If anyone can help I'll be very grateful.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Help wanted to find photo

Post by jimmywizz »

cat you could try the local history section downstairs in shields libary, good chance they could help
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

Why don't you try e mailing Janis Blower at the Gazette.
thomas
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by thomas »

Delilahcat wrote:I have been doing my family tree and have now turned my attention to my husband's family.
There is a photo in existence of when the mines were nationalised in 1947 ? showing the ceremony at Boldon Colliery. My husband's granda Tommy Roberts was supposed to be on the photo as he was a staunch union man.
I think I've seen the photo in the gazette and the mural down near the Mill Dam showed the scene.
If anyone can help I'll be very grateful.

go to the armstrong hall in stanhope road .they can put you in touch with the right people to get all the old photos inthe durham miners pits
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Thanks to everyone. Will take your suggestions on board.
Fenella
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Fenella »

try a book called the boldons by tom bainbridge ,im not sure if wh smiths still sells it but thats where i got my copy for £9.99
or you could try central library or even approach tom bainbridge himself im sure someone in the shack will tell you where he lives as i have forgotten his address he lives behind charles street somewhere , he was very helpful getting me started with my family tree ,he even gave me original documents from the 1930's even my grandfathers death certificate and a handwritten letter by my nana applying for money from the coal board to buy my dad a pair of boots , a heart rending letter a snap shot of the times .

by the way did your husbands roberts family of boldon colliery have a connection to the ellison family of boldon colliery as my great auntie married an ellison and they had a few kids one of them sarah jane ellison married a roberts in the colliery, i know my info on this last point is sketchy but my family tree files are at my brothers flat in shields and im in south wales
Directionless so plain to see a loaded gun won't set you free so you say
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

My husbands grandad was known as Welsh Tommy Roberts. He was one of a big family who were originally from North Wales. They moved around the coalfields, Lancashire and the Midlands. They were blacklisted because they were union men. His brothers were Ellis and Moses. I'll dig out the other names.
Fenella
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Fenella »

seems like we have different roberts thanks for repying to clarify

ta
Directionless so plain to see a loaded gun won't set you free so you say
roberts
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by roberts »

HI MY FIRST VISIT TO YOUR SITE. Researching my family history i came aross the below post by DELILAHCAT and can line my family history to Tommy Roberts below. Tommys brother Moses was my Grandfather and my Great Grandfather Ellis Roberts was Tommys Moses and Elllis father. I would very much like to communicate with Delilahcat as I hold my Great grandfathers bible that I'm sure would be of great interest. I'm not sure if i can contact Delilahcat direct or indirectly. Thanks in advance for any help offered. Colin Roberts

by Delilahcat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:16 pm

My husbands grandad was known as Welsh Tommy Roberts. He was one of a big family who were originally from North Wales. They moved around the coalfields, Lancashire and the Midlands. They were blacklisted because they were union men. His brothers were Ellis and Moses. I'll dig out the other names.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

I am sure that I have a photo of the event when the NCB ownership at Boldon Colliery was made public with the commemoration of a large sign to that effect at the colliery main entrance, to the best of my memory it shows officials, local people and the colliery band. I will have a thorough search and report back in due course.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Now found a photo from the book mentioned about Boldon. If yours is different passtheball would be interested in seeing it. Colin I have sent you a pm. Thanks to everyone.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

Hi Delilahcat,

The photo I mentioned that I recall was a close up of the NCB vesting day sign on the Boldon Colliery main entrance gates, with numerous faces also in close up, a search for which has regrettably been unsuccessful. What I have found amongst my Boldon Colliery Band photographs is the photograph which our mutual friend and local historian Tom Bainbridge included in his 1998 Boldon Book, which you already have....Sorry to disappoint you, but the whereabouts of this missing photograph of mine is unknown, seems I could have loaned it out some time ago and it has not been returned. I hope that an examination of Tom's photograph of the January 1st, 1947 occasion reveals the person you are seeking. I was quite sure that I had it in a marked box amongst my local band collection photographs, but unfortunately I was wrong.