Anybody remember

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Re: Anybody remember

Post by Chloe »

Hi baldy again ......... No nothing about inheritence, just don't understand what happened.. I know there was a divorce pending when dad died, mother obviously took the house etc.. I know his gambling caused problems maybe thats what happened, whatever it was Peggy dont want to tell. Its wierd cos up till a few years ago I believed he was a lone child from Lincolnshire, and had no family living, why the lies I have no idea.. I'm really grateful for what you have told me so far, you made my dad real thanks xxxxxx
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Didn't Peggy have a daughter from a previous marriage, a nice lass from what I can remember.
I think possibly also a younger son?

8)
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

Yea my Step sister and brother....... Shes still well and living in Bishop Aukland, it was her that slipped up about my dads brothers.. Step brother moved to Canterbury, but sadly died in front of a train during a fight a few years ago... The only other name I remember is Ted..... Uncle Ted, he had a big car.. Dads friend I think... Mile end road shop opened in 1968, and was still trading when dad died, think thats a travel agents now aswell. Cant even get the date of dads death out of any of the family they put barriers up, and call it protecting me. Will start monday with the Companion club and Shields gazette orbitaries..... I'll keep you up to speed, let you know what I dig up xxx
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Your Dad and Peggy's marriage was on 4th April 1963

John Bradley married Margaret Brown (nee Stevenson) 04/04/1963 in South Shields.

8)
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

Yea I got the date of wedding, proberbly the daftest thing he done in his short life. Its his date of death, everytime I go on registry sites it asks for the date, TBH I din't even know the year think it was 1972/3 going on my age. I know his family name on his mums side is Seed, got that off uncle Bill. There's a thing Uncle Bill wasnt informed of his death till months later, and can't remember the year. Apparently his orbitury was in Shields Gazette, but mother put Husband and dad...... Refused to put loving husband and dad, the companions club put it in also xxx
Last edited by Chloe on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Jack confided in me a lot of thing about his and Peggy's relationship.
He talked to me because he trusted me and we were very good friends.
However it would not be proper for me to disclose what he told me in
confidence. Suffice to say that I admired Jack as a man and a person
one could trust, Peggy I found to be the exact opposite, it's sad saying
it but that's life.

do you know if he was buried, or cremated?

8)
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

He was cremated in South Shields, but even that was a fiasco......... Mother dressed in bright yellow and wore a pink carnation, thought it was funny
I Know she was/is wicked and I don't doubt she treat him terribly, all my childhood I got hit for "pulling a jack face". She's still an nasty piece of work now, which is why I try to avoid her as much as possible.. Curly on here will no doubt know of her she's from Laygate area, and worked in a bakery near his childhood stomping ground..

Jack(dad) I will make it my mission to get to the bottom of things, I owe him that... Made me laugh I got a old photo of him off Bill, can you remember that yellow and white car he had with the big fins on the boot........ Well he's sat in that with the biggest grin ever :D I'll have to scan it and send it you xxxxx
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

The car Jack had was a big Vauxhall, pink and white at first then I
think he got another later, primrose and cream. I'll see if I can find
a picture of one for you.

You can find out details of burials and cremations at the office
on John Reid Road (the Crematorium). If you have an idea of
when he died they will look it up for you, when he died etc.
for family members it is free unless they have to do a long
search, if so there will be a charge.

I got the information of what plot my grandmother was
buried in as Harton cemetery, and she died in 1917, I
had a good idea of the date she died (within two weeks)
and it cost me nothing for the information.

8)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Here you go Chloe, this was the car only the colour is different.

8)
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

Yea thats the one in this photo, must be the primrose one here I will get a copy to you..... I will try get the dates from the Shields Gazette archives, but its a mammoth task. Maybe the companions club will help with dates. I was going to get in touch with his Dr, but he is dead aswell so its no go there... I dont even know his age at death, his birthday, nothing, the family just wont talk. xxxxxxxx
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

your not having much luck :(
never say never tho ...keep digging .. :wink:
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

Okay I have the picture scanned and saved to my pictures, how do I get it on here for you?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

When I left Shields in 1966 Jack was 45 years old, which would make
his birth year 1921. There is a John Bradley registered born in

SS/Hebburn in 1921 Register No. 9 Entry 157,

I'm pretty sure that's him as there are no other John Bradley's
listed around that time. You can get a birth certificate at
the South Shields registry office giving them the year, Register
Number and Entry Number.

8)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Chloe wrote:Okay I have the picture scanned and saved to my pictures, how do I get it on here for you?
You will have to load it using a host like http://www.photobucket.com You upload the photo onto their site,
when you have uploaded it you copy and paste the URL address onto your post and hey presto it's
done.

8)
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

sorry for interupting ...but would it not be easier to e.mail it to you Mr Smith ...it might be easier for Cleo .. :?:
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

Think he was born in Washington area, though I was told he was born further south, been updated a little cant remember the estate in Washington though. Just trying to tackle photobucket ... I think his birth was later than 1921... can't swear though as I've been told so many lies in the past xx
Last edited by Chloe on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Chloe wrote:Think he was born in Washington area, cant remember the estate though. Just trying to tackle photobucket xx
In 1921 a large part of Washington was included in the District of South Shields for registry purposes.

8)
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

Hope thats right xxxxxxxx
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

Anyway to make it bigger to you guys.... I will ring the registry office on Monday and explain the situation, might be worth trying Sunderland aswell xxx
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Chloe, I've left you a pm. Look at the top left of the page and click on messages.

8)