Marsden Street

Local History for Tyne & Wear
nesr012

Re: Marsden Street

Post by nesr012 »

I remember a guy who walked up John Clay Street and the Westoe Area that would throw his head back violently when you were least expecting it, shocked the life out of us as kids. I later saw him regulaly where he used to stand at the top of Westoe Road and Imery Street when the steel tube railings were around the corner before Maynards shop.
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

nesr012 wrote:I remember a guy who walked up John Clay Street and the Westoe Area that would throw his head back violently when you were least expecting it, shocked the life out of us as kids. I later saw him regulaly where he used to stand at the top of Westoe Road and Imery Street when the steel tube railings were around the corner before Maynards shop.
I remember him too. He used to get in the Duster later on.
Used to shout stuff, and snatch his cap off his head.
Had what they call Tourettes now, I guess, although in those days we called it St. Vitus Dance.

I always watched him when he was drinking his beer - never jerked or spilled an f'ing drop!!! :lol:
shadowplay

Post by shadowplay »

there was a window cleaner in shields who got done for bigamy many years ago he was an oldish skinny bloke in a cloth cap
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

nesr012 wrote:I remember a guy who walked up John Clay Street and the Westoe Area that would throw his head back violently when you were least expecting it, shocked the life out of us as kids. I later saw him regulaly where he used to stand at the top of Westoe Road and Imery Street when the steel tube railings were around the corner before Maynards shop.
He worked at Whitburn pit as a labourer in the workshops, John Charlton was his name but he was known as Noddy to everyne due to his affliction. He was a lovely natured lad who lived with his mother at the top of Imeary Street, we apprentices used to take the mick out of him as he had to have the light left on when asleep in bed. He was as strong as an ox with with great big neck muscles due to shaking his head.
He was once sent to the joiners shop to collect a bag of sawdust from the circular saw, John had to wait for the joiner finishing using it before he could fill his sack. When the joiner switched the saw off, John shoved his hand in before saw blade had stopped and he lost 2 or 3 fingers, the poor bug*er went hysterical and ran out screaming, it took 3 black smiths to hold him down while first aid was administered to him. Do not know if he is still alive, if he is he would be in his late 70s, have not seen him since Whitburn closed in 1968.
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

John Charlton - it is unreal learning of the guys name all these years later.
As if his life was not bad enough, he lost fingers in a mechanical saw, there but for the grace of god............
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

Only just found out a bit of bad news, the death of Ken Bartch some time early June 2009.
Bob and Dot Bartch lived in the last flat on the right hand side of Marsden Street as you walked down the bank towards Chi Road and Ken was their only son.
I believe he was a driver for Stagecoach for many years and could only have been in his early to mid fifties.
When we were kids, we went along to their back lane which butted onto Imeary Street - they played back lane cricket - boring, we played doors in our back lane much more of a contest. I will always remember their car which was a light blue Morris "shooting brake" with the wood around the back panels and the doors.
Ingeryl
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Ingeryl »

It is a long time since I last visited sanddancers,
but just thought I would say something about
Marsden st.
I was born in Stephenson ST (thought it was called stevenson
street) in 1924 ( makes me 85).
By age 5, I was living in Marsden St.
Don't know what number but it was a few doors
down from Stolidays the grocers on the corner.
the other 3 corners were Megs fish an chips
an off license and Andersons generel dealers.
On the same side but right at the top end near
Dean Rd lived my uncle Bill Rylance (the local bookie)
He had an office in John clay St.
We moved to Oak Avenue Cleadon but by age
6 I was living in Imeary ST right opposite the
Marsden Miners Hall, and going to Laygate Lane
infants school, then the more senior school.
then to Westoe boys until 1938 when i left
school.
I well remember the Moffet st chippy, Ringtons Tea
Co, the chy netty, the Marsden Rattler used to stop
on the bridges and could be seem from our front
room window.
Tom Rylance
tom rylance
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Tom in 1954 they built a row of shops in Lake Avenue, the first one was Fosters a cobblers shop. next was a grocers shop Stolidays wonder if it was the same family. The next shop was Jimmy O hares barbershop and on the end was Mushgroves fish and chip shop.
Ingeryl
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Ingeryl »

gday!! that's the way nz landers talk.
Jarrow Pete! nice to hear from you.
My family moved from Imeary st (126)
to Lake Ave , must have been about
1953. Our house looked out onto those
shops, and I think Stollidays would have been
the same family that had grocers shops in
Chi Rd, Marsden St,Wharton St,and in
Prince Edward Rd near the Nook
My father hated to be too far from the
Westoe Pub so he bought a house
( 5 Milton St ) which was handy for
the Chichester pub as well.
One of my brothers ( there were 6 )
worked at Westoe Colliery, and he
said he caught the trolly bus to the
Westoe Bridges walked up to the pit
yard ,went down in the cage, got onto
a small train and after a couple of miles
they walked to where they worked and,
they were right under our house in
Lake Ave!!
We said, Yes Geordy we culd smell you
lot down there specially after a weekend
on Newcastle Broon.
Been down under since 1960. starting
to get used to it.
Cheers and good luck
Tom Rylance
tom rylance
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Tom can you remember what number house you lived at in Lake Avenue as I used to have a paper round and knew most families there. There are 3 or 4 who post on here regular who lived like me and Baldy in Quarry Lane or Lake Avenue.
Had a very good school friend, Jimmy Palmer from Chirton Avenue who went out to New Zealand about 1965 after he had served his time in the shipyards. He had a sister who had moved out there earlier, anyway I was sitting in the Lake one night when Jimmy walked in about 1969, he explained that his father had died and his sister had sent him home to persuade the mother to come out to live with them. Jimmy went to the shipyard where he used to work and explained what he was home for and could he have a job while he was here. They said to start on Monday and Jimmy told me he got on the bus at the Marsden Inn that Monday morning as he used to do 4 or 5 years before and he said everyone was sat in the same seats as they used to and eveyone greeted him with morning Jimmy as if he had never been away. He was over about 3 months before he got things sorted out and took his mam out to N.Z. and I never heard from him again.
Ingeryl
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Ingeryl »

Pete,
We lived in the corner house at the top of Lke Ave.
I think it was no 1. Can't remember the name of the street
that ran across the top. Could leave our front door and
walk diagonally across to the Marsden Inn or leave from
the back door and walk along to the White Horse painted
on the rock face.
Could hardly believe the state of those houses
when I first went back to uk in 1984
I suppose they will have all been replace by now?
Tom
tom rylance
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Probably Lizard Lane.
Prince Edward Road runs the other way, down to the Nook.

Didn't someone post a pic of baldy's dad's house not so long ago?
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Do you mean this one :lol:

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Nawh!!! That's baldy's hoos, not 'is dad's!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Barney wrote:Probably Lizard Lane.
Prince Edward Road runs the other way, down to the Nook.

Didn't someone post a pic of baldy's dad's house not so long ago?
Have reposted them as "old Marsden Estate Photos" so any one who missed them first time can look at them.
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Tom, thanks for all the names and info you provided. I had a long chat with my mother last night and she was amazed
at how you could remember so many of the folks from all those years ago.

When I recited the different shops you had mentioned she was almost overcome with sentimental stories and memories.

She told me that not only was she raised in Marsden Street, at 2 different addresses, but her own grandmother lived
just a few doors up from the corner where those shops were. Their family name was Nattrass.

Thanks again Tom, you brought back some lovely memories to a dear old lady. =D> =D> =D>
stevearch58
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Marsden Street a history

Post by stevearch58 »

malaymac wrote:Tom, thanks for all the names and info you provided. I had a long chat with my mother last night and she was amazed
at how you could remember so many of the folks from all those years ago.

When I recited the different shops you had mentioned she was almost overcome with sentimental stories and memories.

She told me that not only was she raised in Marsden Street, at 2 different addresses, but her own grandmother lived
just a few doors up from the corner where those shops were. Their family name was Nattrass.

Thanks again Tom, you brought back some lovely memories to a dear old lady. =D> =D> =D>
Great to see so many nice memories of Marsden Street on here.
I lived at 178 Marsden Street from !958-67, I was probably quite well known to the locals as I had a full length calliper on my left leg from 5-7 years old, my parents were Margaret and Cyril Brown and me Stephen, My grandparents Johnny and Aggie and Uncles George and John Lived next door at 180 Marsden Street and John, Norma and Jacqueline Gunn lived upstairs at 176. Stan and Hilda Aimes lived nearby.

Grandad was living in Marsden Street during the terrible air raid of 1941, does anyone have any photos or info on this event.

I am trying to write a few things about my time in Marsden Street, people around me were very poor but had a great heart and made my childhood something special. Its turning into a bit of an epic :-) Any information about the Street or pics from any period would be very much appreicated
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

My grandparents were Jack and Lizzie Cook and they lived above Harry Moffett's barber shop on the corner of Chi Rd. and Marsden St.My mam was velma and had a sister Olive and brothers Ken and Jack.Granda Cook's sister-in-law was Annie Cook and she had a second hand clothes shop near the top of John Clay St.
rusty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by rusty »

some one mentiond a piano teacher named Ockelford,lasted about 5 lessons there she was brutal with an ebony ruler for any wrong note.
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

rusty wrote:some one mentiond a piano teacher named Ockelford,lasted about 5 lessons there she was brutal with an ebony ruler for any wrong note.
Yeah, that was Gertrude Ockleford. My sister lasted a few years (5, I think) with her. She was certainly a stickler for form, by all accounts.

"Keep those wrists up!" was a favourite remonstration!

She was on Chi road, if I remember correctly.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs