Good Grief! Who ARE these people?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Good Grief! Who ARE these people?

Post by hartman045 »

How or why this photo came about I just don't know. Obviously a social photographer was in the pub at the time, but how did I get the photo? Did someone ? And who are these blokes? Are they my mates. At the tme...probably. You will notice the formal dress for the 1950s ..tie, overcoat with a few inches of scarf(usually a Paisley pattern showing. The pub? My favourite then and now.. The Mechanics. Date is September 1957 if I am doing my basic training or as I suspect Feb 1958 as I enjoy a 48 hour pass before joining a troopship bound for the Eoka trouble in Cyprus. I only looked about 12. #-o BTW My drinks then were black velvet and whisky and I look as if Iv'e had a few mind.

jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Good Grief! Who ARE these people?

Post by jimmywizz »

classic photo of geordies from the past with their scarfs, the only thing missing is the caps
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

What is a black velvet?
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Correct me if i'm wrong anyone but I think it's a a mix of Guinness and Cider 8)
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Sorry turn around so you won't see me puke.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

jimmywizz wrote:classic photo of geordies from the past with their scarfs, the only thing missing is the caps
And the Whippets 8)

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Good Grief! Black Velvet

Post by hartman045 »

Sorry mis-information..a senior moment...I didn't drink Black Velvets then ..it was Black and Tan, beer and Guiness. I eventually moved on to Macky Tans, Beer and Mackeson (Stout)
My pub crawl 1955-57 was...The Royal Grill, The Criterion (upstairs), The Tram Hotel, The Golden Lion and The Jungle North Shields.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Remember drinking in the Golden Lion in early 60s, it was a right knocking shop then, used to stand at the bar and listen to Ronnie Prentagarst the puff, his patter used to be great. Also used to go to the Jungle and Uncle Toms at North Shields, was chased many a time by the locals to the ferry landing.
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

I used to be a Volunteer driver at the Charles Young Centre and Jackie Collins (not the author) used to go, he was some character and was good friends with Ronnie Prendergast I believe 8)
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ronnie Prendergast. Now there is a name from the past! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

Knocking shop jp ? In Shields? =D> Gerraway :lol: One day I am going to write a book entitled "Great Knocking Shops I Have Known" :D Oh God what an old fashioned term. I hope some young'n doesn't come on here and ask what a KS is. Or am I being naiive? :oops:
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Good Grief! Black Velvet

Post by ralph »

hartman045 wrote:Sorry mis-information..a senior moment...I didn't drink Black Velvets then ..it was Black and Tan, beer and Guiness. I eventually moved on to Macky Tans, Beer and Mackeson (Stout)
My pub crawl 1955-57 was...The Royal Grill, The Criterion (upstairs), The Tram Hotel, The Golden Lion and The Jungle North Shields.
Ah, such names, such memories! From when I was about 18, nothing seemed quite as exciting as a boozy night starting at The Ferry Tavern, then onto the ferry for North Shields where the delights of The Jungle, The Golden Fleece and Uncle Tom's Cabin awaited! It now seems like a different age. I sometimes stand at River Drive, looking across at the respectable Georgian block of flats that was the Nothumberland Arms (Jungle), and picture the many characters that drank there. I suppose most that I saw at that time will be dead now... Gone, but the melody lingers on. :D
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

That sounds like my pub walk, except for the Mechanics and the Market.When I was 17/18 I was drawn to the Jungle like a moth to a light.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Went to the Jungle a lot then the Fleece, Chain Locker, Mariners great and the Stanley. always got the 10.15 ferry back for last orders in the brig back when Steve and Terry where mein hosts. Terry then went on to run the Havelock
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Happy memories. Used to often finish the night off in the Brigantine.
A lad I knew - who I wont name to spare his blushes- was taken to court and fined for stealing an imitation palm tree from The Jungle. A great deal of drink had been taken at the time. Didn't stop everyone taking the mickey for months afterwards.
Another guy I knew turned up at the ferry landing to see the gangway rising as the last ferry was about to leave. He tried to jump on board , hung by his hands and fell in the river. Not only did he ruin his clothes - the river was pretty mucky at that time - but had to suffer the shame of getting fished out of the water then taken to court and fined. Of course the Gazette used to report every court case then so there was no keeping it hidden.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Oh dear, stealing an imitation palm tree from the Jungle, I would think that was a very minor matter there! Many many years later, I took a friend across to the Jungle to let him see where all the fun was when I was 18. At 2230, the nearly empty ground floor bar was about to close, and we were invited by the rather large manager, to, for a small fee, go downstairs to the 'La Continental Club', where we could continue drinking until after midnight.

We were enjoying our pint, when my mate was engaged in conversation by a buxom black lady. He was a little overawed by her, but then she suddenly lifted up her jumper and let drop one of her bosoms, which was the size of a large water melon, and said: "What do think of that then?" He, being of a slightly timid nature, excused himself to go to the loo. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted his legs disappearing up the stairs. I went in hot pursuit and caught up with him as he hopped into a passing taxi. I only managed to get into it by using his leg to haul myself in, and then it was off to the Jarrow Tunnel to get back to South Shields. The taxi driver somewhat amused by the nature of our departure, on hearing what had happened, smiled and told us all about our new buxom acquaintance, who was a well known character.

Some time later, my friend and I were in the reception area of a well known London Prison - purely in the nature of duty you will understand - when who should we spot (in handcuffs) but the large manager of the Jungle! "Good Lord, if it's not B** G****" we said. "What are you doing here?" "I'm off to the Appeal Court." he said. "I was accused of handling stolen goods, and I am not guilty." And so it turned out to be, for his conviction was quashed. Could we have thought otherwise? No wonder 'Jungle' management took such a dim view of having their palm trees half-inched. :lol: :lol: :lol:
westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad »

Hello Hartman, great photo.
I was wondering if you had the name of the pub correct? could this not have been in the Eagle Vaults?
I have a photograph which looks to have been taken in the exact same table as yours in 1953 - same wallpaper, same border and possibly at the same table but I have written on the back "eagle vaults 1953". As soon as I have figured out how to get images onto this site I will post it.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi westoe lad welcome to our boards
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

I used to go to the jungle when, if i remember correctly, an ex rugby league player of some renown used to be the manager, anyone remember who this may have been.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I have a similar photo of myself, a friend and two lads taken in The Eagle Vaults. If I remember rightly this guy was wandering around taking photos, you paid him, gave your name and address and they were posted to you. A very trusting arrangement. The lads paid( never met them again and I still have the photo as a souvenir some sixty years on.