3 More photos

Local History for Tyne & Wear
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: 3 More photos

Post by anna »

Yes Ed,,im sure we have had a photo of that up on the Boards before ..
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

jimmywizz wrote:that pill box is a blast from the past, as you say these types of things should now be protected
Pure vandalism destroying those pill boxes, part of our history gone forever. In many ways, we have not been very caring about our history. I seem to remember discussions that went on about renovating the Old Town Hall in South Shields Market some years ago. When the cost of the work was disclosed, there were many who thought it should be demolished to save money.

Thank goodness that view did not prevail, but was another example of 'Knowing the cost of eveything, and the value of nothing'.
Daveirwin
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Daveirwin »

Thanks so much Hartman and Mr Axeman for the pics and info.
I remember leaving my house in Barbour avenue almost every day of the summer holidays and going to Blackberry Hills.
On route we would pinch a breadboard from the back lane of a bakers in Horsley Hill Square sometimes run up and down the stairs of a parked Trolley bus while conductor was talking to the Driver then off to the Gun outpost thingy and slide down the hill to the railway line where we would sometimes put a Penny or Halfpenny on the track and wait for the Rattler to flatten the coins.
Then off to spend rest of the day at Camel's Island looking in rock pools for ..........well anything Really ! Happy Days.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

eddieg wrote:Wasn't there concrete gun emplacements on the lease.I think they were filled in and covered to make like a small hill .
There was three naval coastal defence guns on the cliff tops. You can still see the hillock that was created when they removed the guns and filled in the emplacements. There was three round holes where the guns fitted ,behind them was fortified barracks block for gun crews and ammunition, These were sealed off when guns were removed, only allowing you to go in about six feet. Behind the emplacements was an army camp, this was demolished when I attended Horsley Hill School in mid 50s and covered with a rubbish tip.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Used to play there as well, slid down hill on piece of cardboard.
Caer Urfa Kev
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Caer Urfa Kev »

Hi there, thanks for the elaboration of the things my Dad used to talk about. He lived in Frenchman's Way and used to speak of the pill box, Blackberry Hill etc. When I was little he told me a story that he once found some old coins buried on the side of the railway. He re-hid them but remembered where they were and promised to show me one day. Alas he died.... so I'll never know!!!

Great thread.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
surpriseitsme
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by surpriseitsme »

hartman045 wrote:The WW2 pillbox on Blackberry Hills. I used to play around here when I was a kid. It was a disgrace when this was demolished.

Heron St. c1932. My family moved from this street in the early 1930s to the newly built Cleadon Park Estate.

Heron St. c1934.

thanks for posting these my great great grandparents lived at 48 heron street in 1911 and number 32 in 1891 were they flats do u know?? there seems to be a lot of people at 32 thats all lol