'Banks of the Tyne Hotel'

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Popsk
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

'Banks of the Tyne Hotel'

Post by Popsk »

Is there anyone out there who can remember the old pub 'Banks of the Tyne Hotel' , Slake Terrace, Tyne Dock. My great-grandfather was manager of this pub in the early 1900s, alas the area is long since demolished and now rebuilt upon. Has anyone any photos of the old Tyne Dock area they could possibly post on this site? :)
martha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: 'Banks of the Tyne Hotel'

Post by martha »

was hoping to post an image but can not for the life of me work out how to do it!*@?
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

sorry its such a bad picture.
I voted leave

martha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by martha »

oh - you beat me to it pilot - you had a much better picture than i did - but i'm still trying to post - still can't work it out!
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

martha wrote:oh - you beat me to it pilot - you had a much better picture than i did - but i'm still trying to post - still can't work it out!
Martha, go on to the "Curly's Corner Shop " board.

Then look up the topic "Show Your Own Images On The Board"

It is not far off the top of the list of topics.

You will find instructions there.

8)
martha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by martha »

but why oh why can i not just attach from my pictures?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

martha wrote:but why oh why can i not just attach from my pictures?
Life would be much simpler if we could but,

that's the way it is, you need an image host such as "photo bucket" or "Image Shack"

Try looking at FAQ at the top of the page.

8)
Popsk
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Popsk »

Many thanks Pilot - great picture, it helps to put some colour into our family history. Bye the way, my great-granda was also a pilot (Bristol), as were his family for many years back - the family name was Ray. Great-granda migrated north in 1881 aged 21, whilst he had served his sea-time and qualified as a pilot he was unable to get his licence as the number of pilot's was strictly controlled by the Bristol harbour authority, and progression was via 'dead man's shoes'.
Many thanks to all who responded.
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

I had a dodgy photo of my greatgranddfather.I asked if anyone on the Hebburn site with photshop could do anything with it .They worked wonders anybody on here that could do the same? Here's the pic He's at 141 South Palmerstonestreet.His name is William Crowder http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2195/244 ... 693128.jpg
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I did this very quickly as I'm pushed for time, I'm sure it can be improved on, given more time.

8)
Popsk
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Popsk »

eddieg wrote:I had a dodgy photo of my greatgranddfather.I asked if anyone on the Hebburn site with photshop could do anything with it .They worked wonders anybody on here that could do the same? Here's the pic He's at 141 South Palmerstonestreet.His name is William Crowder http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2195/244 ... 693128.jpg
Thanks, I'll give it a try
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Popsk ,you're a bitr slow off the mark, I had already posted the improved photo before you made your post above.
However it can be improved upon. :wink:

THE ORIGINAL

THE MODIFIED PHOT

8)
Last edited by baldy.smith on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Popsk
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Popsk »

baldy.smith wrote:Popsk ,you're a bitr slow off the mark, I had already posted the improved photo before you made your post above.

8)
many thanks Baldy, I should have looked more closely before I pressed the entry button :)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

See my edited post above. :wink:

8)
Popsk
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Popsk »

baldy.smith wrote:Popsk ,you're a bitr slow off the mark, I had already posted the improved photo before you made your post above.

THE ORIGINAL

THE MODIFIED PHOT

8)
sorry couldn't post yesterday Baldy, had to log-off quickly when grand-bairns arrived - sticky fingers and all that :roll:

anyway, thought your modified photo looked a great improvement, do you think Pilot's photo 'Banks O Tyne' would respond so well to the treatment? :)
popsk
stuart141
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by stuart141 »

Does anybody have any other pictures of the Banks O Tyne?
My great great grandfather opened this pub in 1851.
It stayed in the family until it was demolished.
Sadly all members of the family who could give me more info have all passed away.
Any pictures inside or out would be great as would any stories or other information.
Popsk
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Popsk »

Hi Stuart, Sorry the only photo I've got is the one previously posted on this site by Pilot. My great-grandfather William Edington Ray was manager of Banks of the Tyne in the late 1800s, don't know the actual dates though. His other son, grandad's elder brother, was killed when he was playing in Tyne Dock, just across the road, when a beam that was being craned over him slipped out of the rope-sling and fell onto him, killing him instantly. Sorry I can't help with any further photos, it would have been good to see inside, where he worked though.
Popsk
stuart141
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by stuart141 »

Hi Popsk
These are the occupants in the 1901 Census.
The last one is a listed as a servant.
William E Ray 42 Emily Ray 36 Caroline M Ray 10 William E Ray 9 Enoch P Ray 7 James C Ray 6 Louisa Ward 20
My Great Great Grandfather James Conway came over from Carlisle in the early 1840’s.
He is shown as living in Slake Terrace and his occupation is a sawyer in 1851. Then in the 1861 census it is classed as a public house. He could not have been luckier as Tyne Dock had just opened, it must have been a hive of activity. I was down in the library the other day and found a picture dated Feb 1957 in the newspaper cuttings and it show’s the last part of Slake Terrace being demolished. So I would guess that’s when it came down. I have searched all over the place for better pictures all I have is one showing the Empress Hotel, I would guess that the “Banks O Tyne” is immediately on the photographers right just out of shot. I don’t know how to put it on this message however I have posted it onto the Old South Shields Gallery (I think).
I can only guess this is about the late thirty’s.
Stuart
Popsk
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Popsk »

Thanks for that info Stuart, I grabbed a copy of your photo of Slake Terr., off Old South Shields, its good to see the street the Banks of the Tyne stood on.

William E Ray, Enoch P Ray, James C Ray William was the one who was killed in Tyne Dock, Enoch Porter Ray was my grandfather and James Clifford Ray, who won the MC in WW1 was my uncle, I remember them both well.

Once again, thanks for the photo & info.
Popsk
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Because there were so many pubs in this Terrace. Is this where we get the Phrase "TO SLAKE ONES THIRST?"
I always value Pilots wit and input