Gas Explosion

Local History for Tyne & Wear
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Gas Explosion

Post by hartman045 »

1981/82. A gas explosion destroyed this house, in So Eldon St entirely.

A view towards St Mary's Church. Shops are on the left. As you can see So Eldon St. was closed.

This is a view past the church and under the rail bridge. That fence on the right is interesting. You would find them all over the town. The Deans Estate and parts of the Sutton Trust Estate. They were pre-war, cast concrete and reinforced I think. They were pink and typically 1930s in design.

jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Gas Explosion

Post by jimmywizz »

i remember that gas blast, i was in simonside at the time when it went off and joked that someone must have left the gas on, little did i know at the time that if i remember the whole story some poor soul went out for the day and somebody nicked his gas meter or gas pipe, so when he came home it blew the house down, i think he was killed
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

If my memories right, if I turn left after going under that bridge I would end up at the old slipper factory.

My sister and and ex brother in law set up a clothing business in there called Jobell Fashions.

Is it South Taylor Street, I'm not sure ?
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Take the opening on the left before the bridge as shown in the photo, and it took you
too a large paint warehouse. I had an uncle who lived around that corner and he worked
in the warehouse.

8)
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

I used to live in Barehirst Street and never realised the Home that's there now was once a church.
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

And I lived nowhere that bridge which you turned right or left and my mother was not cooking when the oven blew up her yorkshire puddings and destroying the house. Maybe it was me old man as he was always being told not to smoke in the toilet.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

Me Gran used to live on Dean tce. I used to go and meet me uncle who worked at Taylors foundry.I was always told to go under the bridge,turn left down the battery,cross the ash and you'll find taylors.I always wondered why the lane that followed the embankment was called The Battery.By the way my uncle was Brian Copping can anyone remember him?
german john
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by german john »

How come I cant see these photos.Theres no link or anything
GERMAN JOHN
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

german john wrote:How come I cant see these photos.Theres no link or anything
They are still there for me John.
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

And me.....???
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

There was a bit of panic in the Woolworths super market yesterday they had a gas leak inthe store and it set off the water sprinkles and caused an excavation of the shop. No I was not there when I DID M
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
michelle67
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by michelle67 »

i too remember the gas explosion, I lived on Thornton Ave at that time. I attended Barnes Road Junior School, although I do remember the blast I cant actually remember when it was, the blast was so bad i fell off the pavement.

michelle67