The Sea Planes at South Shields

Local History for Tyne & Wear
hilda.saville
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

The Sea Planes at South Shields

Post by hilda.saville »

I am reaearching my family tree with my sister and we are keen to find out more about;

1) the Sea Plane sheds at the port that was in South Shields during WW1. Our Grandmother used to volunteer there (serving tea we think).

2) any connection with the family called Iley our paternal great aunt's husband was called JW Iley and our great grandmother Edith Steel died in 1937 at their house in Frenchmans Way.

I would be pleased to receive any messages
Many thanks
Hilda
baldy.smith

Re: The Sea Planes at South Shields

Post by baldy.smith »

Here is a direct link to the South Shields registry office on-line. You will find accurate
information on births and deaths up to 1920 and marriages up to date.

http://www.southtyneside.info/community ... fault.aspx

8)
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi hilda read this post from the main shields board
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9085
the runway for the sea planes is still under the sand, you can see it from the photo on that page, i keep trying to get a better picture but each time i go down to the sea front the sand has blow back over it, also last year i tried to bid on a book that had all the names of the staff who worked there but someone else won it
hilda.saville
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by hilda.saville »

Dear jimmywhizz
Thank you for the lovely picture do you have any more info please?
hilda
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

baldy.smith wrote:Here is a direct link to the South Shields registry office on-line. You will find accurate
information on births and deaths up to 1920 and marriages up to date.

http://www.southtyneside.info/community ... fault.aspx

8)
That was a handy link Baldy.....Cheers
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Axeman wrote:That was a handy link Baldy.....Cheers

It is good, and it covers Jarrow as well, it gives more detailed information than any other
source I know of.

I have however found a couple of mistakes when I have been checking on my family.
Two spelling mistakes online but I'm not sure if that happened in the transcription or
if they are spelled wrong in the original registration, I'll go down and check one of these
days. My mothers maiden name was "Johnstone" but online they have missed the "e"
off, so when I searched for "Johnstone" it didn't show up, it only showed when I searched
my fathers name then I saw it had been spelled wrong. My great great grandfathers
name was Gray and it shows as Gray in the National archives etc. but online they have
spelled it "Grey". So it pays to try different spelling if you can't find what you know is correct
the first time.

8)
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

This link makes specific mention of South Shields on page9.

http://www.history.navy.mil/download/ww1-07.pdf
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

hilda.saville wrote:I am reaearching my family tree with my sister and we are keen to find out more about;

1) the Sea Plane sheds at the port that was in South Shields during WW1. Our Grandmother used to volunteer there (serving tea we think).

2) any connection with the family called Iley our paternal great aunt's husband was called JW Iley and our great grandmother Edith Steel died in 1937 at their house in Frenchmans Way.

I would be pleased to receive any messages
Many thanks
Hilda
they lived just round the corner from me i used to play with his son also called john. ithink his father worked on the railways.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.
StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

jimmywizz wrote:hi hilda read this post from the main shields board
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9085
the runway for the sea planes is still under the sand, you can see it from the photo on that page, i keep trying to get a better picture but each time i go down to the sea front the sand has blow back over it, also last year i tried to bid on a book that had all the names of the staff who worked there but someone else won it
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9085

I was there an hour ago and the runway is visible - my camera battery had run out though dammit :(
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Littlehaven Beach. World War I Sea Plane Slipway revealed by severe storm in January 1979.

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.