grocer in laygate

Local History for Tyne & Wear
martha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

grocer in laygate

Post by martha »

Does anyone remember a grocer's in palmerston, or south palmerston street in 1950s - was owned at one point by florrie swallwell, taken over by a couple - jimmy and nora and then by a chap called charlie? would love to know where the shop actually was.
baldy.smith

Re: grocer in laygate

Post by baldy.smith »

Hi Martha, welcome to the boards. I lived in that area around the time mentioned. There was one grocery shop opposite my house, corner of Palmerston Street and Havelock Street. The shop at that time was owned by a Mrs King and her family who immigrated to Australia about 1952. There were quite a lot of small so called grocery shops on Palmerston Street maybe some of our other boardies will come up with more information when they come on. Best of luck.

8)
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi martha, here is a photo care of baldy, i think its from around that area but not that street, baldy will have more info for you
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

The photo is of Campbell Street, which ran parallel with Palmerston Street. The streets around there all looked about the same. Corner shops were all over the place, every corner had a shop of some sort on it. The corner where I lived had a greengrocers below us, a pub (The Havelock) across the other corner, a fish and chip shop on another, and Mrs Kings grocery shop on the other corner. One didn't have to go far to get all of their supplies in.

8)
martha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by martha »

thanks for responses so far - bit more info (though, it makes no sense to me!) shop was apparently an "off-door beer license and general store" and a "tied house to Tucker's Beers" - hope this is useful
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

That is correct Martha, cuts it down a bit. There was one just around the corner from "The Havelock" pub, it was on Palmerston Street, it fits exactly the description you have given. I don't remember (possibly I never knew) the names of the people who owned it but I do remember the shop well as it was only about thirty yards from my house. The strreet looked just the same as the street in the photo above, I don't recall ever having seen a photo of that part of Palmerston Street. All of the streets around that vicinity are long gone but I remember them as if it was yesterday, pity my recent memory is not as good :lol:

8)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Martha, the link below should take you to a site which has some photos of South Palmerston Street and the surrounding area.
It may give you some sort of idea of what the area was like.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... l%26sa%3DG
martha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by martha »

thanks baldy
Derekftm
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Derekftm »

i was born in campbell steet

:D :D :D
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Derekftm wrote:i was born in campbell steet

:D :D :D
What year and what number?

8)
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

That photo of the little girl standing in the middle of the road-street must have been taken on the weekend when there were not many horse and carts around.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Globalmyths wrote:That photo of the little girl standing in the middle of the road-street must have been taken on the weekend when there were not many horse and carts around.
The little girl (my sister) would have been facing due west in that photo, therefore I deduce by the length of her shadow that it was taken late in the evening when most people would have stopped working and gone home. I don't remember what time of the year it was. :wink:

8)
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

I remember as a young boy going into Stratford with my mother (Not Anne Hathaways boyfriends village) but the New Zealand one, and it was still quite common then to see gigs and traps with horses tied to the railings outside some of the shops.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
Tommy Gun
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Tommy Gun »

Hi Folks. Does anyone know where South Palmerston Street is or was...? I think it may be long gone, but would love to know what is in its place now (if anything). I am trying to help a relative track down some family roots/history.

Thanks alot.

Tommy. (Derbys)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

For the benefit of Martha- if she is still around. The shop in question was actually in South Frederick Street on the corner with Temple Street. It started off as Weetmans fruit shop then ended up as Charlies General Dealers. It may well be still there with different owners.I lived in the area until 1996.
champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. »

Tommy Gun wrote:. I am trying to help a relative track down some family roots/history.
Wouldn't be Bren by any chance would it Tommy :lol: Welcome to the cuckoos nest mate :wink:
My mate reckons he's going to a convention for retired shoe repairers today.
Load of old cobblers if you ask me.
martha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by martha »

Thanks for that, Delilahcat. Don't suppose you remember the surnames of any of the shop owners? Charlie Coser, perhaps?
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I can only remember that his sister and her daughters - Jean I think the name was -and Linda worked for him. The sister lived in Barnes Road and died fairly recently. Linda was called McGee lived in South Frederick Street and died a couple of years back. I think the shop may still be there but I don't get down there much these days. I still know people around there so I'll ask if anyone knows a bit more.
harryharpurhey
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by harryharpurhey »

I don't know if the question has been answered; I know that it's a few years ago.
The grocers in Laygate were my relatives.
Jimmy McLean and his wife, Nora (nee Coser) had the shop first. It was then taken over by Charlie Coser and his wife, Irene (nee Elliott).
Charlie and Nora were the brother and sister of my mother, Sarah Coser.
Charlie had ambitions to be a Conservative councillor. Unfortunately for him, his uncle was Billy Malcolm - I'm sure the surname is familiar.
Charlie was a rep for VG and his customers were not to happy about his proposed move in to politics, which proved to be short lived.
My mother was among a number of young women who worked at the Syko?? who were conscripted to do war work in Manchester.
Any information on the Syko?? (although I was taken there when I was young, I'm unsure of the spelling) will be grateful received. Also any information on why the women were sent to Manchester. Plus any information on Captain Jimmy McLean.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

If my memory is correct SICO was a sort of cash and carry place which supplied shops. The name was an amalgamation of the owners might have been something like SIdney COser...this is just from memory.
The Charlie I knew who had the shop ...never knew his surname...was a bit of a miserable so and so. Can vaguely remember his wife but she did not work there a lot of the time.There was a woman who worked in the shop who I thought was his sister as I mentioned earlier.....possibly called Margaret. She had two daughters Linda and Jean.
The shop is still there.