H S Edward Street

Local History for Tyne & Wear
anniem
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

H S Edward Street

Post by anniem »

Anyone know anything about H S Edward Street? When did it disappear? I was born there in 1938 and that makes me ancient history. I now live in Sutherland in the north of Scotland.
anniem.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: H S Edward Street

Post by jimmywizz »

hi, welcome to our message boards :D
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Hi anniem, I lived just around the corner to H S Edward Street, in Havelock Street, I lived there from about 1944 until 1953.
I believe the houses were pulled down about 1960 (give or take a couple of years). And we are of similar ages :oops:
I moved from South Shields in about 1965.

8)
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Moved or run off.

:wink: 8)

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
anniem
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by anniem »

[quote="anniem"]Anyone know anything about H S Edward Street? When did it disappear? I was born there in 1938 and that makes me ancient history. I now live in Sutherland in the north of Scotland.
anniem.

Last time I was back I couldn't find the Tynedock Arches, my landmarks for finding my way around, but a local taxi driver helped us on our way. Geordies are about the friendliest people on earth. Is the mill dam still there. My father used to sail from there in the thirties. Don't quite remember Havelock Street, but remember visiting an ancient aunt in Frederick Street.
anniem.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Havelock Street ran off Frederick Street where the "Palace" cinema was at the Laygate end. The Mill Dam is the same, but the surrounding area has changed a lot, even I have problems finding my way around.

8)
styx1949
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by styx1949 »

i lived in H. S. Edward St. 28 year ago then moved into my new house then, so it was demolished roughly 1982
nautic
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by nautic »

born 1939 hs edward st moved to cleadon 1947,large area of spare ground behind hs street later used by fairs
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi nautic welcome to our message boards
alimama
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by alimama »

Hi all. I too, am looking for information re: Edward street. Relatives of mine lived in no 193 back in 1915. Any one know anything? your help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I live in Australia.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I think it was originally called Harry S Edwards Street. Don't know who he was. The ground where the fair was held was called 'The Ash' by the locals. You went under a bridge which was the main Newcastle to South Shields railway line and the streets were South Eldon Street, South Taylor Street and HS Edwards St. Knew lots of people who lived there. What were your families called.
Annie my folks were originally from a place called Farr along the coast from Thurso.
rusty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by rusty »

H.S.Edward St many years ago i lived at 182 H.S.Edward St from 1939 till approx 1945/6 i lived in the upstairs section of the house.Outside Loo but your own wash house.Across the street was a family called Farrar.Used to play on the Ash and spent lotst of time Mill dam area
TheAmerican
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by TheAmerican »

Does anyone remember who lived at 161 H.S. Edwards in the 1950s? Possibly someone with the first name of Lily, Elizabeth or Sarah.
anniem
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by anniem »

Interesting to read the posts on HS Edward Street. Often wondered who he was.
Thanks for all the replies.
Interesting one from delilahcat about Farr near Thurso.Know Farr well.
Anniem
Thumbelina1812
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Thumbelina1812 »

Hi everyone!
I have ancestors that lived in Edward Street in the late 1800s. I am coming up from Norfolk this weekend to visit and would like to see where this street was. Can anyone point me in the right direction please. Thanks very much!