Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

good riddance to him i say
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Know exactly who you mean Sless, he was a right nasty sod.

cheers.
gag.
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

thank you mate
if you look back over the last quite a few years
there is a quite a few swimmining coaches been done for bullying and the like
my daughter is in south tyneside swimming club and they are sound
realy show willing towards the kids
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

The only real thing I can remember about Derby Street ( apart from the water unblocking my ears on the way home on the no 12 bus to Marsden ) was starting to laugh when I was in the deep end.

Ever tried swimming when laughing.....I nearly drowned that day. :lol:
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Can remember going to the Sat morning sessions and going to the shop for a bag of broken biscuits and wafers on the way to the bus stop next to the cinema (Pavilion or Plaza ?)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

It was the "Pavilion" Pete. :wink:

Plaza was down Ocean Road, in a side street on the right.

I first went to the Derby Street Baths in 1948, got hooked on swimming and starting going whenever I got the chance.

8)
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

Yes I remember the broken ice-cream wafers. The name Maxwells comes to mind - were they the firm nearby that made them?

There was also a bowl of beetroot juice (?) in that shop. You could dip a slice of bread in. Simple but lasting pleasures. I only saw one film at the Pavilion (The Pivvy) - Cat People.

The swimming instructor in my day was a Tarzan-like figure Mr Hart. Once when the session was over, a lad dived in without his cosser and did a length backstroke laughin all the time. He was lucky he didn't get a mouth full of chlorine, probably fatal.
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

The broken wafers were in "Maxwell Street" and made by the Gabriele family (Italians). Prior to Maxwell Street, they had a little place on the corner of Victoria Road and Isabella Street, just opposite the coal depot. I have had contact with one of the Gabriele family not too long ago, the business was set up by his grandfather.
The family actually originates from where I go to in Italy, Arpino and Isola del Liri.

8)
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

POST TOPIC

Post by Globalmyths »

The wash house in 1958. Was it a public or private wash house.

The year 1958 was the year I joined the New Zealand Army 49 years ago.
I was intrigued by the fashion clothes and the prams.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Public wash house, public baths (as in bath tubs) and public swimming pool.

You are correct about the beetroot juice (vinegar) Jerry. The shop which had it when I went to the baths was actually in the front room of a house. We used to buy a penny dip, as it was called.

8)
philip5555
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Derby Street Baths

Post by philip5555 »

i used to go to derby street baths with my school (redwell )miss mcurk was our teacher from redwell and mr mordue was our instrutor he was never nasty , but there was a ginger haired guy worked there who we were scared of , could you be tinking of the wrong guy :twisted:
philip5555
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by philip5555 »

remember baths well they did away with ghanging at side of pool early 1960 s new stainless steel ghanging rooms and suana built . hated getting ghanged at side of pool the men used to look over the doors at us girls :roll:
stevea
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by stevea »

I know exactly who you are talking about he was an ogre and a bully and he did carry a piece of black rubber hose that he would beat you with.We were only about 12 at the time he did it to me once and I went off it and siad I would tell the head ,he was terrified.As it happened I told my dad who had a right go at him and nigh on s**t his pants what a laugh,he couldnt do enough for me after that.Iam sure he used grecian 2000 as well.
Toxic Avenger
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Toxic Avenger »

I remember going to Derby street baths for swimming lessons when i was at school. I vagualy remember a pool attendant with a piece of rope with a knot in it. Can't be sure but i think he might have been called ***. :cry:
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

yes thats his name
a right sadistic b'stard aswell
i hated him
she should have been done for child abuse
he is brown bread now tho
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Went to Derby Street for our swimming gala hated it used to go to the library instead :D :D :D
primitive man
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by primitive man »

I had an unfortunate swimming accident in Derby Street Baths, luckily my dad was on hand.
After that I was put off swimming and never learnt til I was 16.

But I remember Barnes Road Juniors Swimming gala (60s)- when a girl got into difficulties - a man jumped in from the spectators fully clothed to get her out of the deep end.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

When I was a kid I used to go to the baths with some friends, unfortunately we came home from the baths one day not realising that someone was missing. We found out later that she was found at the bottom of the baths; drowned. I'll never forget her, she was only 11 years old and was a twin.

8)
helena
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by helena »

What would be a good car to use in a demo derby? i wanna get a cheep old 4 cyl. car and make it demo Derby ready. it will be my first time and i want to make sure i don't screw it up ;p so does anybody know of a good car from personal experience?
Last edited by helena on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

A good demo derby car would be an old style, Metro, Fiesta completely gut the interior take out the seats, glass,carpets radio anything breakable or flammable so your left with your seat, brake, steering wheel and not much else you only get enough fuel for thee length of the race you do it by guess or maths, gloss paint for decorating and then crash your way to victory.