Remember Peter with one arm?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
GeordieCannuk
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Remember Peter with one arm?

Post by GeordieCannuk »

Hi Everyone,

I remember going to the Palladium with my Mam and the Doorman was a man called Peter if I remember rightly....

He had one arm, and my goodness you wouldnt dare get on the wrong side of him :)

I was a good girl..yes I was :) and he was so nice though and looked really smart in his uniform, I believe was a dark green, does anyone know how he lost his arm, maybe in the War?..

Also while waiting outside to go in, can anyone remember the little Gallery above , I remember being told thats where the Actors came in...though of course we never saw them....oh those happy innocent days, what I would give just to be able to go back for a day :)

I was always looking up above to try and catch a glimpse of any of those big Stars of the day arriving late...;)
Well you never know, do you? lol..

And I also remember the Palladium being called the Fleapit, but it was always my favorite...
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I know the Chi used to be called the flea pit. Went there through the 40s and into the 50s.

There was some discussion on here about Peter not too long ago in another topic.

If I find it I'll post the link for you.

8)
GeordieCannuk
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by GeordieCannuk »

baldy.smith wrote:I know the Chi used to be called the flea pit. Went there through the 40s and into the 50s.

There was some discussion on here about Peter not too long ago in another topic.

8)
Hi,

Please do, I have wondered what happened to Peter and if it was through the War that he lost his arm..

Isnt it strange after all those years, I can picture him, where some family members and lost friends...I cant ;)

Thanks again Baldy :)
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

GeordieCannuk wrote:
baldy.smith wrote:I know the Chi used to be called the flea pit. Went there through the 40s and into the 50s.

8)
Hi,

Please do, I have wondered what happened to Peter and if it was through the War that he lost his arm )
Yes he lived up here in Biddick Hall and thats the last time I saw him
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Does anyone remember the man who worked at the ABC pictures, he was on the door and wore a black leather glove, I think he had a false arm...it's stupid really but I was a bit frightened as I sidled into the pictures passed him after I'd paid my money to get in
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Yes, I can.
were you an ABC minor! on a Saturday morning. :lol:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

mr-angry wrote:Yes, I can.
were you an ABC minor! on a Saturday morning. :lol:
yeah I was and can you remember if it was your birthday you got called up on the stage :lol:
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

:lol: Yes, can you remember the guns that you fired! I think you had
to knock cans over or something. :lol:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
lynn
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

one arm pete?

Post by lynn »

didnt he used to live on centenary at bottom beside hill shops??
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I used to go to the Savoy ABC minors on a Saturday in the 1950s most of the kids in our street went, we would catch the bus there from the Grotto but get a penny bread bun from the shop across the road and walk back. I have a confession to make. One Xmas they had a painting competition, I entered in the under ten group, my sister who was doing GCE art, she was 16, painted a lovely Christmas card scene and I entered it under my name. I won a leather football. :oops: :oops:
I voted leave

Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I talked about the one armed man at the Savoy a while ago on here.
You are right about the black glove he wore Babs I had forgot about that.
After you had bought your ticket at the kiosk you went up some stairs and he would be at the door you would give him your ticket and he would with his good arm put the ticket on his false one tear it and give you half back.

Cisco
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Cisco wrote:I talked about the one armed man at the Savoy a while ago on here.
You are right about the black glove he wore Babs I had forgot about that.
After you had bought your ticket at the kiosk you went up some stairs and he would be at the door you would give him your ticket and he would with his good arm put the ticket on his false one tear it and give you half back.

Cisco
yessss.. and remember all the sweeties and chocolates on show in the kiosk, going to the pictures was a much nicer affair than it is thesedays, I can't bear those multiplex places. Give me an old Deco style cinema anyday.

Mr Angry I was trying to remember the guns you mention but don't recall them, you did get a little badge though
Last edited by Babooshka on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Agree with you Babs, been to the one at Boldon a few times, but it just does''nt have the same atmosphere as them old cinemas.

Cisco
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

I knew Peter when he worked in the Gaumont, Mile End Road.
I always value Pilots wit and input