HENDRIX IN SOUTH SHIELDS WERE YOU THERE ????

Local History for Tyne & Wear
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

HENDRIX IN SOUTH SHIELDS WERE YOU THERE ????

Post by robpapE2 »

Paul Miles- Kelly at the Gazette has put out a recent appeal for anyone who has memories of this gig at the Cellar Club FEb 1st 1967..I have been helping him and we want to know can anyone remember what songs did he feature that night ..also does anyone still have a ticket for that gig and also memories of that night ????

Can you contact the Gazette and also leave your memories here as well

ROBPAPE AND THE PSYCHEDELIC EMOTICOMS
:5hypnodisk: :happy6: :angryfire: :hat36: :5shocking: :5shocking: :booty: :5bouncy: :5propeller: :5bouncy: :5propeller: :color: :angry4: :heart: :5eek: :5innocent: :glasses9: :fucyc:
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

:glasses2:

If you turn those emoticons down a bit I'll talk to you on here......but there's NO WAY I'm willing to get mis-quoted by the damned Gaaazzettte!

:evil:
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

offthewall wrote::glasses2:

If you turn those emoticons down a bit I'll talk to you on here......but there's NO WAY I'm willing to get mis-quoted by the damned Gaaazzettte!

:evil:
I will talk to you off line now
Robpape
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Hendrix at the Cellar club

Post by Strike »

Na, ah wasn't there for that one though I wish ah had been. However, Iwas there for a band called 'Eire Aparent' (ah think) who had something to do with him. I also did see Yes there and One More Mile, but not on the same night. I'll tell you who ah definitely saw at the mosque at the bottom of South Eldon Street, and that was Muhammed Ali. Wor lass said at the time; "Eeeeh,he doesn't look nowt like he does on the telly" but ah had to point out that she was looking at Angelo Dundee at the time.Strong d*ugs in them daze.
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

but ah had to point out that she was looking at Angelo Dundee

i nearly choked myself reading that
hahaha
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

.....missed that 1................... :cry:
Strong d*ugs in them daze.
......they still are now..............i no........ :hat14:
.......GET-ME-A-RUM-INSTEAD........
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Two 'royal' persons visited Shields that year- the Queen and Ali. Took the kids to see the great man and his wife. We stood at the top of Laygate Lane then followed the bus down to the Mosque. I think half of Shields was out that day
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

I think half of Shields was out that day

there was more than that
hahaha
i remember the day
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

sless wrote:I think half of Shields was out that day

there was more than that
hahaha
i remember the day

What a time ..Itwas as if the whole world was watching ...Jimmy Carter the then US President had also visited the region. He continued to have a dialogue at a later stage with his Friendship Force ...
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: HENDRIX IN SOUTH SHIELDS WERE YOU THERE ????

Post by El Gringo »

Hi there , I am researching the history of Jimi Hendrix in the North East and would be very interested in any memories or stories anybody has about the gig at the Cellar Club on 1st February 1967 (or any of his other gigs for that matter , he did six gigs in the region alltogether in 1967). Being from Shields myself the Cellar gig is of particular interest to me and I would love to hear from you if you have anything to say about it. If anyone has any photos too that would be outstanding !!! I am hoping to set up a website soon to post all the information.

All I have so far for the cellar gig is one low-res photo and a couple of quotes from Noel Redding who said “We arrived late and were in a bit of a rush. We were on the back of a revolving stage just getting tuned, ready to be swung round any minute when Jimi’s amp blew, so he plugged into mine and I looked around for something to borrow.” The night the Experience played the Cellar Club the motor of the revolving stage was not working. Noel Redding said, “Yeh, I remember the place, they couldn’t get the stage round because the motor was knackered so we had to push it!”.

The show was apparently recorded by the drummer of The Bond, who were supporting the Hendrix Experience on the night. If anyone has a copy I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi El Gringo welcome to our boards, last year a ticket from that night was sold on ebay and it went for a lot of cash
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

Thanks Jimmywizz , that's very interesting The Ebay link no longer exists unfortunately. Does anyone have a saved picture of the Cellar Club ticket ?
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

i was telling a mate of mine at the time about the price of that ticket and if i remember he had a mate who was at that gig and had kept the poster off the wall, and it may have been signed too, not 100% sure, i will ask him tonight
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I take it we are talking about the new Cellar club in Thomas Street, not the old one in Beach Road.
I voted leave

El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

Yes the New Cellar Club is the one where Hendrix played.

Jimmywizz you are a star ! If you can get a photo of that poster it would be fantastic !!!!!
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

sods law he was not out last night, next time i see him i will ask him
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

Hi Gringo.
The show was apparently recorded by the drummer of The Bond, who were supporting the Hendrix Experience on the night.
I really don't think that was true. [-X

I was the bass player with The Bond on that night. As far as I remember no-one recorded anything.
The story about the revolving stage being broken is true. It usually was broken and Alf Hobson (the then manager) would have to push it round. My only memories of the night are that, as we were normally doing a whole bunch of Hendrix covers at the time, we had to hash up a last minute set which was not ideal :roll: and that, as we finished and came round on the broken (pushed) revolving stage, the Experience were waiting at the back to take our places. The Man came up and shook our hands then we had to get out of the backstage area for them to set up.
Other than that the high spot of their set was Jimi poking a hole in the ceiling with his Strat.
Can't help any more than that, I'm afraid.....memory banks are fading.
:wink:
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

Hi Off the wall ,

Wow! It must have been fantastic to support the great man. I am a bass player too (in a Hendrix truibute band called "Sundance") and I would love to have done that. Unfortunately I never got to see him live because I was too young at the time , when he played the cellar club I was only three. It must have been fantastic to meet Jimi and shake his hand. What was he like to talk to?

That's a great story about the hole in the ceiling , I haven't heard that one before. I'll definately quote you on my new website if that's ok with you ? Shame about the recording. It would have been great to post some clips on the website. The quote about your drummer having it came from the Evening Chronicle. Do you still keep in touch maybe you could ask him ?

I have tracked down a couple of photos of Jimi playing at the Cellar Club (see below). If anyone has any more I would love to see them. I also had a good root around the gazette archives at the library yesterday and came up with the adverts for the Cellar Club gig and also a double page spread about the opening of the cellar club in December 1966. I'll get them scanned and post them up here if anyone is interested ?

ImageImage

Great to hear from you Offthewall.
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

You see that cross around his neck?
It was a red enamelled maltese cross (cheap brass back, of no particular value). I found it on the floor backstage after the concert. I wore it on a leather thong for years afterwards. One time when I was really hard up I sold it for £10 :roll:
Wish I hadn't now [-o<
As for talking to him, he only said a couple of words then we were hoyed out!
I've never seen our drummer for donkeys years.
As for the opening of the Cellar, with Cream, we were there too. Our then manager was also freelance for the BBC and did an interview with Baker and Bruce after the show.