Wall of Death

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Wall of Death

Post by Jerry »

Many decades ago there was a wall of death at the fair in Shields. We were fascinated, and the riders sometimes rode their smelly bikes pretty close to the rim.

I can understand how you can ride horizontally once you're started up the ramp, and finally wind down the ramp to the floor. But how do you do it the first time? I mean you can't go slowly, or cautiously, that's the whole point. A cough, sneeze, or engine cut-out and you're mince.

The thing's not still there is it? Any memories?

I see Evil Knievel is still with us.
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Jerry I can remember my dad taking me to see the Wall of Death probably more for his benefit than mine. I think it must have been late forties or early fifties.
Similarly I can remember taking my kids to the Bents Park to watch an Evel Knievel type show. Don't know if it was the man himself or someone cashing in.
Also remember as a child the travelling fair that came to 'the Ash' which was spare land off Commercial Road by Taylors iron foundry.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I use to go to the Town Moor Fair (the hoppings) at Newcastle and always went to see the wall of death. They use to ride bikes and go-carts round the wall, you stood at the top looking into the pit, sometimes they came up so close you thought they would come over the top.
At the end of the show the compere would say as it was so dangerous nobody would insure them and would ask for donations, and everybody would throw money into the pit.

Can't remember a one at Shields, must have been before my time.

Cisco
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Saw "The wall of death" a few times when in my teens.

I also remember seeing the guy who used to dive from what seemed like a great height into a small tank of water which was about six feet deep.

8)
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

For any motorbike fans on the board the wall of death is still a common sight at the many shows up and down the country that are on during the summer i.e. storming the castle, bulldog ash etc etc. The bloke still uses an old red indian bike from many years ago and still does all the old tricks with pillion riders.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Welcome back Baldy, hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Cisco
margy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by margy »

You had a good holiday Baldy :) welcome back :)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Had a great time, but did more work than I have done for years, can't complain though; it's made me fitter and leaner than before. I'm still as fat as a pig though. :lol:

8)
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by urfa »

I remember both the wall of death and the diver, diving into a shallow pool of water, must of been around 1948- 1950 as I moved out of the town in 1950, they were both in the fairground at Shields, the motor bike riders were good but gee that guy diving from that great height, and he did it repeatidly to earn a few coins people put into the hat that ws passed around. Best wishes and take care. Urfa.
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt