marriage lookup

Local History for Tyne & Wear
rayel
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

marriage lookup

Post by rayel »

Hi i am new here so i might be in the wrong place im sure you will let me know if i am, anyway i am trying to find a marriage for Moses Morris to Leah Harris in Shouth Sheilds in Apr 1866 can anyone help me with this please or find me any Morris marriages for that period thankyou :)
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by urfa »

Hi rayed, I am originally from south shelds but have lived in Tasmania for forty years, think I might stay!!!
About marraige records that you are looking for, Saint Hilda's church has that is posted on this site, I found my great grandad in there and then thirty years later I found his son.
Failing that south shiedls library has avery good records for most of the church's in Shields, I researched my ancestory in there, when I was on holiday there.
Happy Hunting..... best wishes, urfa
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Not listed at St Hildas, St Michaels, St Aiden or St Judes. I have the marriage lists for all of the above churches for that period.

8)
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Looks like they were living over the brush :shock: :wink:
I voted leave

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

They are not listed on the national register so either dates are wrong or someone is taking the mickey out of us. Just as well it only takes two minutes to check it up.

8)
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

When did civil marriages start baldy?
I voted leave

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Beats me, but the national register of births, marriages and deaths runs from 1837 up to 2004 at the moment.

8)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

One thing I have learned whilst doing family history is that nothing is as it seems. My grandmother always told me she was married when she was 18 and I searched all the parish records in South Shields around about 1903. I later discovered she was married in 1901 at age 16 in the Register Office. She was pregnant which probably accounts for the evasion about dates. Subsequently I found that lots of dates were incorrect for similar reasons.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

You're correct Delilahcat
I found the same thing with my family, marrying young seemed to be acceptable in those days., but dates and ages etc don't always tally.
I have searched several sources for the marriage details for the two names above, without success. I searched from 1840 to 1900. I found quite a lot of the same names but was unable to match them to each other. Passes the time of day anyway and I like looking these sort of things up.

8)
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

Moses and Leah are Jewish names of course. Does this alter things?
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

It shouldn't make any difference Jerry.
All of the Moses Morris names I looked up married women with names which were obviously Jewish, the same thing applied with my search on Leah Harris. They came up with lots of names which were completely alien to me, seemed like Russian or Polish names.
So the Jewish marriages were recorded in the National Register the same way as any other marriage.
There seemed to be an awful lot of Moses Morris in the Isle of White, two men with that name were married on the same day on the Isle of White, not to each other of course. :wink:

8)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

In the course of my research into my late husband's family tree the name Moses crops up as one of his grandfather's brothers. The family were non conformists and the children had biblical names - hence Moses. They originated in North Wales moving to Stoke then Lancashire and ended up in Boldon Colliery. It seemed a peculiar pattern of migration until I found out that they were blacklisted for Trade Union activity. Grandfather Tommy is on photographs taken outside Boldon pit when it was nationalised. Nice story to tell my little southern grandchildren.
rayel
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

moses and leah marriage

Post by rayel »

hi guys thanks for looking for the marriage of these people im now being told that maybe moses used another name like ackerman or something similar can you find a leah or leana harris with a marriage to a guy with this name then chears
rayel
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by rayel »

Oh and by the way yes they were jewish and if it helps their first child was called ester
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

if anyone looks here in mamy many years to come
you will have to go to gretna green to find my marriage certificate
we eloped and didnt tell anyone
the photographers wife was bridesmade and the videoman was my best man
hahaha
my mam went scatty cos we flew straight to greece for our honeymoon and just put an announcememt in the gazette
to let her know
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

What year was that Sless?
I voted leave

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

If you get married at Gretna Green it still appears on the National Register.

8)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

sless wrote:you will have to go to gretna green to find my marriage certificate
Well according to my info, you were married in South Shields in June 1986 and your wife's maiden name began with the letter B :wink:

8)
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

Well according to my info, you were married in South Shields in June 1986 and your wife's maiden name began with the letter B

you must be wrong there baldy
your records must be wrong
:wink:
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

17th august 1995 i got married