Cobh -Irelands Treasure

Looking for a place to go with the kids/family or a night out with your mates, discuss trips or venues here
rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Cobh -Irelands Treasure

Post by rainbow » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:30 am

Cobh in County Cork, Ireland has to be one of Irelands Treasures.

Cead Mile Failte, A Hundred Thousand Welcomes!! thats what you will have if you take a short break in Cobh, Ireland.
I found this delightful Harbourside town for the first time last year, and while I was born and bred on Tyneside, it was for me like going home.

The history, heritage of this Great Island, will truly have you wanting more
step back in time and savour the experience of the 'Titanic Trail' Cobh harbour was the last port of call for the RMS Titanic .

And as you visit The Heritage Centre, you will be moved at the Queenstown Story, of how millions of people departed from Cobh Harbour, to start a new life in England, America and Australia to name but a few.

Today the area of Cobh has a happy and vibrant atmosphere, and for those who enjoy a drop of the amber necta, its a great way to meet the locals and join in on the banter and craic . visit http://www.cobhnet.com.

Meanwhile I am counting the days to my return to Cobh this summer,to meet with new found friends, do a bit more research on my Irish roots and to truly have a great holiday. And if you like Irish music then go online to
http://www.Midwest Irish Radio . I hope you have enjoyed reading my post, cheers ..Rainbow

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:13 pm

Hi Rainbow
Discovered Cobh a few years ago when we visited Cork.
Went back at Easter and it was as good as first time. We drove to Castletownbere for the day and on the way back stopped at theMichael Collins memorial. The weather eas excellent for a change.

rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Cobh Irelands Treasure

Post by rainbow » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:51 pm

:) Hi Delilahcat, When we stayed at Cobh last year, it was at the end of the summer season, the weather was good apart from one day when it rained non stop (thats when we called in for the amber necta).

The local people we found were brilliant, and the stories,tales and memories of growing up in Cobh, magic. Did you by chance visit Colemans Cathedral.... we went to Mass on the sunday, breathtaking interior, and the view of the Harbour..from the top of the hill wow!.

We also took a bus tour to Kinsale I lost count how many films I used, Again the history and heritage of the town, was a major attraction it was very busy with tourists...And as for the boats in the Marina, well I would have to win the lottery to own one.....ahh!! I am still counting the days to this years trip back to Cobh.... 8) Rainbow

rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by rainbow » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Looking to another short visit to Ireland this year.....anyone on site got a favourite place? Do post a link if you can......its been a while since I was on site so a lot of catch up posts to read.
Last time I was on Pilot was not to well, hope all is okay now....cheers Rainbow :)

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:00 pm

Rainbow, welcome back I'm not too bad thank you, funny you should mention Cork, my family on my fathers side originated from that area some 150 years ago and I have an Irish surname, however in 1971 while I was at sea I visited Whitegate a tanker port just outside of Cork and we were advised not to go ashore as the British at that time were not welcome!!!!! Even with an Irish surname I was told, glad to hear those times (For now) are behind us, I have visited Dublin quite a few times and have an affinity with the Irish and their humour. 8)
I voted leave

rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by rainbow » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi Pilot, good to find out you are okay.xx.Yourstruly had a few bad falls...problem with my knees since I was young....and the cold does not help....then my glasses broke ahh!! .......so as I nurse my bruises..lol cup of hot tea chocky biscuits to hand and I can now catch up on latest gossip on site.....stay safe and warm Pilot ......cheers Rainbow :)

Return to “Places to Go”