Bedes World Jarrow

Looking for a place to go with the kids/family or a night out with your mates, discuss trips or venues here
rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Bedes World Jarrow

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:38 pm

South Shields has many places for family members to visit, the brilliant Musuem on Ocean Road, the Roman Fort to name but two....then we have our coastline and views....great way to to start the year with a brisk walk. But I often wonder how many locals visit Bedes World in Jarrow, I visit this heritage site, at least twice a year. and yet I often hear folk saying they have never been to Bedes World or our Musuem in Shields.. What do others on site think? And do you have a special place in South Tyneside that you visit regular.
I got a lift down to Hebburn Marina last week, and was amazed at how its changed, must sort out my photos from when they first started the landscaping etc.
Hope its okay to post the link for Bedes World.....cheers Rainbow

http://www.bedesworld.co.uk

nesr012

Re: Bedes World Jarrow

Post by nesr012 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Yes we have had some good days out there when the kids where little. On one visit I remember my daughter bought a bag of animal food to feed the animals and had just walked through the gate when a goat, obviously on sentry duty snatched the bag and ate the lot- paper and all.
We were lucky enough to have visited when there have been live days when people were dressed in the clothes of the time and where living in houses, cooking and making tools of the time, along with the domestic wild life.
We used to visit the Roman fort and make a day of it along the beeches at Herd sands, I must pencil this in for the summer along with a visit to Souter light house.

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 pm

I think that you will find Rainbow that most people are more likely to visit
distant places of interest rather than those on their own doorstep.
I myself have lived for more than thirty years just over a mile from Beamish
Museum, and I have never been to it. Mind you the current prices for entry
to someone in my financial situation are far too much, the summer price
for an adult is £21, concessionary price for me is £17.

I've just found out that those prices are for an annual pass, which allows
you to visit as often, and whenever you want. They also do family annual
passes for £42 which covers for two adults and one child, and £60 for two
adults and two children.

http://www.beamish.org.uk/Home.aspx

8)

rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Oooohh!!! the cost to get into Beamish has gone up phew!! its been about ten years since family took me up in the car, while we had a great day out, weather was brilliant, so lots of photos. Truly the cost now....aahh!! way out of my reach....its crazy when you think they want folk to visit, but at those prices.....I will have to stick with my pics and happy memories........cheers Rainbow :)

rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:25 pm

nesr012 wrote:Yes we have had some good days out there when the kids where little. On one visit I remember my daughter bought a bag of animal food to feed the animals and had just walked through the gate when a goat, obviously on sentry duty snatched the bag and ate the lot- paper and all.
We were lucky enough to have visited when there have been live days when people were dressed in the clothes of the time and where living in houses, cooking and making tools of the time, along with the domestic wild life.
We used to visit the Roman fort and make a day of it along the beeches at Herd sands, I must pencil this in for the summer along with a visit to Souter light house.

Like you we have been down to Bedes World, when locals have had stalls and one time they had a 'Bird Display Show' Falcons and the like, it was great. We also took time out to visit any Exhibitions that was on show in the hall. Truly its worth keep checking the site link to see whats planned for the year.
A school friend of mine was working at the Hall a few years ago....aahh!! lucky thing....thats the kind of job I would have loved.....And the Roman Fort, in Shields they have all sorts of special events....cheers Rainbow :)

Return to “Places to Go”