surprize

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

surprize

Post by siam sam » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:12 am

Door bell rings, and who should be there the leader of South Tyneside Council. Well I was taken by surprize after living in my present address for forty five years it is the first time a political hopeful has come just before the polling date next thursday' He even shook my hand. Are his party getting worried they should be he caused me to burn my dinner, thank you and please do not call again without an invitation. :(
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: surprize

Post by sherri » Thu May 02, 2019 12:27 am

I don't know, Sam. At least it was someone who was trying, which is more than you can say of some.

It was your chance to say what you'd like to see done in your area. Go for it. :D

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: surprize

Post by ralph » Sat May 04, 2019 5:50 am

Sam, about a month ago, a recently retired Councilor who had served for a great many years on our local Council, attended a residents meeting at the flats in which I live. He was there to give us advice on fighting a developer's application to build an apartment block very close to ours. For years this man had sent us leaflets urging us to support him and his Party, I had sat next to him many times in our tiny local cafe, and at the meeting I first spoke of, we had a long conversation about the planning application.

Yesteday, I sat opposite him on a bus journey for nearly an hour. I smiled and nodded at him a couple of times, but his face remained a blank. As he rose to leave the bus, I addressed him by name and reminded him of our conversation. "Ah, yes," he said, "I remember."

I couldn't help wonder as to what possible use he was going to be to our cause and as to whether he had been of any use at all during the years he served a Councilor. Yesterday's local election results must have been a massive and much needed shock to a vast number of them who only think of their Constituents when their votes are needed.

Return to “The Corner Shop”