Some pics of China.....

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

danet

Some pics of China.....

Post by danet » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:32 am

There's a lot we did, felt like a long year in that 13 days :lol:
I think going through the photos is an arduous task, but I will start now with the Terracotta Soldiers in X'ian.
Fascinating place, and yet more to be unearthed, there are 500 archaeologists working there since the discovery in 1974 when a farmer was digging a water well....
A lot of restoration is required, as soon as the clay soldiers were exposed to light, they would break, now with a third area being discovered, it is dark, and no flash on cameras allowed to be used.
There will be more of these clay soldiers and horses etc to be viewed once unearthed, so many people in the future will marvel at the enormity of it all.

And you can buy any size model you wish, as fabricated soldiers are made.
Shopping anyone? Oh, and you can send in a photo, as anyone can get made up to look like a clay warrior.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Some pics of China.....

Post by ralph » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:08 am

Excellent photos Danet. It is very hard to imagine how so much work could be devoted to making the terracotta army for a man who was dead, or the belief that they could in some way participate in activities beyond the grave, but that doesn't detract from the wonder of it all or the very high standard of the craftsmanship possessed by those people who created it. A true wonder of the ancient world.

danet

Post by danet » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Another epic tourist attraction is The Great Wall of China, and I have to admit, it isn't an easy task, these steps to climb were arduous.
But I did manage to go half way up, and took some magnificent photos whilst up there!
Have a look at the size of the steps and the steepness in the 2nd and 3rd photos! Why the tour guide took us there in the midday hot sun of 35 degrees I will never understand.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Again, super photos. I will never get closer that looking at photos now - my knees could never take the strain!¬ Well done you!

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:16 pm

You stay away from my city wall Mongolian.

:lol:

Great photos again Danet.

My knees wouldn't hack it either Ralph.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

danet

Post by danet » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:11 am

My left knee developed a problem 3 months ago. I could barely bend if. I had X-ray and ultra sound last month and found out, arthritis (well no shyte Sherlock, I am in my mid 60’s) and fluid in the knee. It’s this fluid I wonder about. So in the beginning of the tour I was going up and down huge bus steps several times a day as we stopped at different destinations, and the kms of walking really took it out if me! I had blisters and sores on my feet by mid week and bandages galore. Surprisingly, by the end of the tour, my knee had more flexibility! It’s a lot better now, so all that strenuous climbing steps, stairs, and heaps of walking in the hot 35-36 degree sun, seemed to fix the fluid in the knee problem!!
There were a few ppl with knee bandages on and yes, everyone walking back to the bus looking stuffed, as if we did the Kokoda trail! Most of the tourists in our group was age 50s to 60s with the exception of 3 teen girls with their parents.

danet

Post by danet » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:16 am

Oh and hubby seemed to cope as he had broken his ankle 7 months earlier. He actually climbed all the way to the top of the Great Wall. He has longer legs than me so it was easier for him!

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:06 pm

danet wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:11 am
My left knee developed a problem 3 months ago. I could barely bend if. I had X-ray and ultra sound last month and found out, arthritis (well no shyte Sherlock, I am in my mid 60’s) and fluid in the knee. It’s this fluid I wonder about. So in the beginning of the tour I was going up and down huge bus steps several times a day as we stopped at different destinations, and the kms of walking really took it out if me! I had blisters and sores on my feet by mid week and bandages galore. Surprisingly, by the end of the tour, my knee had more flexibility! It’s a lot better now, so all that strenuous climbing steps, stairs, and heaps of walking in the hot 35-36 degree sun, seemed to fix the fluid in the knee problem!!
There were a few ppl with knee bandages on and yes, everyone walking back to the bus looking stuffed, as if we did the Kokoda trail! Most of the tourists in our group was age 50s to 60s with the exception of 3 teen girls with their parents.
Danet, knee problems is a sore (no pun intended) point with me at the minute. About a week ago, after sitting as a passenger for an enjoyable drive through Kent, both knees became so painful I can hardly walk. After five days, my left knee, with nothing to be seen, is really giving me hell. I'll just have to put it down to getting old. :(

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 am

raplh wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:06 pm
danet wrote:
My left knee developed a problem 3 months ago. I could barely bend if. I had X-ray and ultra sound last month and found out, 4 colonic irrigations arthritis (well no shyte Sherlock, I am in my mid 60’s) and fluid in the brain. It’s this fluid I wonder about. So in the beginning of the tour I was going up and down huge bus steps several times a day as we stopped at different destinations, and the kms of walking really took it out if me! I had blisters and sores on my feet by mid week and bandages galore. Surprisingly, by the end of the tour, my knee had more flexibility! It’s a lot better now, so all that strenuous climbing steps, stairs, and heaps of walking in the hot 35-36 degree sun, seemed to fix the fluid in the knee problem!!
Danet the boiler, knee problems on my dog and me at the minute. About a week ago, after sitting as a passenger for an frightfully enjoyable drive through Bombay, both knees became so painful I can hardly grovel. After five days, my left knee, with nothing to be seen, is really giving me hell. I'll just have to put it down to being stupid old dingelberry. :(

Just put it down to sitting around all day, no exercise.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:09 am

Hey Danet your avatar is very 69ish.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 am

Some lovely piccies. Thanks for sharing
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!

danet

Post by danet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:49 am

max Headroom wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 am
raplh wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:06 pm
danet wrote:
My left knee developed a problem 3 months ago. I could barely bend if. I had X-ray and ultra sound last month and found out, 4 colonic irrigations arthritis (well no shyte Sherlock, I am in my mid 60’s) and fluid in the brain. It’s this fluid I wonder about. So in the beginning of the tour I was going up and down huge bus steps several times a day as we stopped at different destinations, and the kms of walking really took it out if me! I had blisters and sores on my feet by mid week and bandages galore. Surprisingly, by the end of the tour, my knee had more flexibility! It’s a lot better now, so all that strenuous climbing steps, stairs, and heaps of walking in the hot 35-36 degree sun, seemed to fix the fluid in the knee problem!!
Danet the boiler, knee problems on my dog and me at the minute. About a week ago, after sitting as a passenger for an frightfully enjoyable drive through Bombay, both knees became so painful I can hardly grovel. After five days, my left knee, with nothing to be seen, is really giving me hell. I'll just have to put it down to being stupid old dingelberry. :(

Just put it down to sitting around all day, no exercise.
Oh really Max, changing Ralph's post? I'm a boiler? Well then you're a spoiler! #-o Anyway, as my mum says, old chooks make the best soup! :P

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:04 am

I think I'm falling in love with you

danet

Post by danet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 am

Here are some pics of The Forbidden City, with high walls and huge thick doors and doorways, with steel locks. And the concubine buildings with interior views of how it was. We could all look through windows, but not enter to view it. So I did my best to take photos without reflections of the glass windows.
Located in the middle of Beijing, and was the Chinese imperial palace from Ming dynasty to the Qing Dynasty and now houses the Palace of Museums. The buildings are vast and many, beautiful and ornate. And with so many huge doors that have locks, no one could get in, and no one could get out. Except for the emperor.
It was constructed in 1420 during the Ming dynasty, and is the best-preserved imperial palace, and the largest ancient palatial wooden structure in the world that is still standing.
After walking 3 kms through this place, it was a city on it's own. But the story of the concubines and the young females aged between 12-16 yrs of age, and the perils they suffered......any wonder I was feeling a bit agitated walking through this place. Those girls used to have their feet bound and they couldn't walk, would be wrapped up in silk and carried to the emperor.
So I say out loud in our group "those emperors were nothing but dirty old men!" and the males reply "half his luck!"
Here are some facts about it.
1. The Forbidden City took 14 years to build (from 1406 to 1420).
2. It was built by over 1,000,000 workers, including more than 100,000 craftsmen.

The Forbidden City of China 3. It was the imperial palace of China for 492 years (1420–1912).
4. It was the home of 24 emperors — 14 of the Ming dynasty and 10 of the Qing dynasty
5. It covers 0.72 sq km (0.28 sq mi), of which 15 hectares (38 acres) are floor area.
6. It has 980 buildings in over 70 palace compounds, with over 8,700 rooms.
7. It is 961 meters long from south to north and 753 meters wide.
8. It is surrounded by a 10-meter-high wall, which is 3.4 km (2 miles) long.
9. It has a 52-meter wide moat round it.
10. It hosts 14 million visitors per year, a maximum of 80,000 visitors per day

Last edited by danet on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

danet

Post by danet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:21 am

max Headroom wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:04 am
Finally someone with a sense of humor lol
OMG, is that it! All this time searching for someone to appreciate your weird wit? :lol:
Well there we have it folks...ta dum....Danet the Boiler meets Max the Spoiler :P

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm

I've had my knee drained 3 times over the years it gives instant relief if your knee is swollen with fluid, they do it with a rather large needle but its feels more uncomfortable rather than hurting, they just stick you once but draw off the fluid in my case 3 or 4 times then with the same needle give you a pain killer and steroid injection. I couldn't believe the difference it made. The first time it was a year before it got bad again the second time it lasted years. The 3rd time was a reaction to a fall that was 2 years ago and all good so far.
Thanks for sharing the pics Danet they are awesome.
I voted leave

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:39 am

Danet, Once again, thank you for sharing pour photos. Super and interesting detail as well as information on life at the Court. I cannot have been a lot of un for those girls. :(

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 am

Pilot wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm
I've had my knee drained 3 times over the years it gives instant relief if your knee is swollen with fluid, they do it with a rather large needle but its feels more uncomfortable rather than hurting, they just stick you once but draw off the fluid in my case 3 or 4 times then with the same needle give you a pain killer and steroid injection. I couldn't believe the difference it made. The first time it was a year before it got bad again the second time it lasted years. The 3rd time was a reaction to a fall that was 2 years ago and all good so far.
Thanks for sharing the pics Danet they are awesome.
Pilot, I have had just had a week of severe knee pain. Not sure what the cause was, it came on quite suddenly, but boy was it painful! When at its worst, I was reduced to using two sticks! Easing a bit now and I suspect it may have been a return of the 'the dreaded gout'. I watched a programme on TV tonight dealing with knee joints, how complicated they are and the problems we get from them. I short: we are living at least twice as long as we used to and the cartilage just wears out. Sadly, knowing the cause doesn't ease the suffering! :lol:

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 pm

slow down on the port, red wine and prawns ralph
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

Return to “The Corner Shop”