Hi from China :-)

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

danet

Hi from China :-)

Post by danet » Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm

I will put photos up when we return, and I’m sure Sherri will also. The International flight from Melbourne was good, but the 2nd interstate flight to X’ian was 2 hours late. We left Sunday morn at 5.50am and arrived in X’ian Monday morning at 2.30 am. Then it was all go go go since then. Too much to do in a day and it’s so hot. At least their beer is only 5 Yuen ($1.25 au approx)
Saw the Terra-cotta warriors, it’s fascinating as there is yet more to be uncovered with 500 archeologists working full time since the discovery from a farmer looking for water by digging a well.
Took a flight to Beijing. Staying at this Versace like place called Palace Garden, and it’s like 7 Star! So plush!!
Saw the Tiananmen Square and then the forbidden city, walking through the place for 3 kilometres!!
That Emperor with all them maidens awaiting, I thought what a dirty ole man, but then again, no different to certain film producers of today! But what an amazing way it was built.
We also saw a couple of shows, including the golden mask dynasty, and it was amazing! Just YouTube it and have a preview!
Went to a Jade factory sales place and learnt that the Beijing Olympic medals were made of Jade, how many knew that?
And went up the Great Wall of China today! It was in the midday heat we were all taken there and 35 degrees!
Beer was good again after that!
Some blisters on feet and swollen ankles, even the men, not just us women!
Saw the Summer Palace once owned by the dragon lady. What s beautiful area that was. Some old superstition if you take a photo of the ornate rock, you will become bankrupt. That’s one photo I didn’t take but would have loved to!!
So glad to have an early evening since we arrived in China! So I have time to chill out and write this postcard.
Tomorrow we go to the Beijing Zoo to see Pandas! Looking forward to seeing that. Then we go on a rickshaw ride.
To be perfectly honest, the way they drive and ride here, I’m not so sure about this rickshaw ride🤨
It’s been an eye opening experience how the cities cater to 18 million people or so. It’s like condensing almost all of Australia’s population in one large city area and surrounds! The amount of high rise buildings people are living in is staggering! In Melbourne they are like a few commission high rises but in China, no one owns anything? It’s all leased?
Until next postcard.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Hi from China :-)

Post by ralph » Thu May 31, 2018 3:28 pm

danet wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm
I will put photos up when we return, and I’m sure Sherri will also. The International flight from Melbourne was good, but the 2nd interstate flight to X’ian was 2 hours late. We left Sunday morn at 5.50am and arrived in X’ian Monday morning at 2.30 am. Then it was all go go go since then. Too much to do in a day and it’s so hot. At least their beer is only 5 Yuen ($1.25 au approx)
Saw the Terra-cotta warriors, it’s fascinating as there is yet more to be uncovered with 500 archeologists working full time since the discovery from a farmer looking for water by digging a well.
Took a flight to Beijing. Staying at this Versace like place called Palace Garden, and it’s like 7 Star! So plush!!
Saw the Tiananmen Square and then the forbidden city, walking through the place for 3 kilometres!!
That Emperor with all them maidens awaiting, I thought what a dirty ole man, but then again, no different to certain film producers of today! But what an amazing way it was built.
We also saw a couple of shows, including the golden mask dynasty, and it was amazing! Just YouTube it and have a preview!
Went to a Jade factory sales place and learnt that the Beijing Olympic medals were made of Jade, how many knew that?
And went up the Great Wall of China today! It was in the midday heat we were all taken there and 35 degrees!
Beer was good again after that!
Some blisters on feet and swollen ankles, even the men, not just us women!
Saw the Summer Palace once owned by the dragon lady. What s beautiful area that was. Some old superstition if you take a photo of the ornate rock, you will become bankrupt. That’s one photo I didn’t take but would have loved to!!
So glad to have an early evening since we arrived in China! So I have time to chill out and write this postcard.
Tomorrow we go to the Beijing Zoo to see Pandas! Looking forward to seeing that. Then we go on a rickshaw ride.
To be perfectly honest, the way they drive and ride here, I’m not so sure about this rickshaw ride🤨
It’s been an eye opening experience how the cities cater to 18 million people or so. It’s like condensing almost all of Australia’s population in one large city area and surrounds! The amount of high rise buildings people are living in is staggering! In Melbourne they are like a few commission high rises but in China, no one owns anything? It’s all leased?
Until next postcard.
It sounds great Danet and I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Thu May 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Enjoy Danet.

I've still not worked out the road rules but I presume that it's survival of the fittest.

When you see the rows and rows of residences from the road they look pretty soul less

But they are great when you get amongst them in the cafes and bars, shops.

There's even schools, gyms etc.

And inside they are modern.

Some dodgy plumbing jobs though!!!
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:15 am

By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Enjoy the trip Danet ........... & take it easy on the scorpions, beetles, spiders, maggots, & lizards on a stick. :lol:
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:00 am

gnads wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 pm
Enjoy the trip Danet ........... & take it easy on the scorpions, beetles, spiders, maggots, & lizards on a stick. :lol:

all taste better than blue stilton
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:14 am

andysfootball wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:00 am
gnads wrote:

H'mmm, I think given that choice, I will stick to the Blue Stilton! Having said that, I have always enjoyed a good tuck-in at my local Chinese restaurant, which I am always assured by the locals, nodding sagely: "Of course they give us different food to what they eat themselves." :lol:

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:03 am

andysfootball wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:00 am
gnads wrote:

I think Danet has said she likes blue cheese? ..... me .... yuck.

As for the Chinese assortments on a stick ..... double yuck.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:54 pm

We are going gangbusters here with full activities every day! Last night and tonight we didn’t do shows, were too tired and just wanted to crash in bed early. Today we went to a tea plantation. Went to a sky deck above Shanghai on the 88th floor. Then we went on a mag Lev train that went to 430 kms per hour. We did 30 kms in 7 minutes!! It was fkn amazing!!! Tonight we are at this insanely posh Delta Marriot only 6 months old. It’s absolutely beautiful!! We are gobsmacked!! A buffet dinner to about $35 per head with all beer and alcohol we can have. Chocolate fountain, seafood, lobster, scallops, oysters, and sushi has caviar topping! My God! I think we died and went to Heavan! Oh and the bidet, as you open the glass door, the lid pops up! I’m still learning to understand all the buttons and what they do!

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:07 pm

The others are all saying they’ve eaten their way around China, and it’s all good, no one suffering any ill effects except for expanding waistlines!!
I had this incredibly different ice cream it was black sesame.
Oh and the everyday Chinese people are really lovely and respectable. Always ready to smile back. And I felt like a star yesterday, we did a boat trip on West Lake or something.... and I had on my smiley happy face with flowers in my hair, and a few young ones wanted a photo with me! (No. No pick pocketing went on).
The one thing I notice is that we Aussie’s on tour feel like aliens as ppl look twice at us. Some of us wander deep into Chinese territory like a supermarket and we must look very different coz everyone’s heads turn. I wonder what they think of us?
Such an amazing country, with more residential buildings going up everywhere and older style houses and smaller buildings are demolished. It’s a shame some history of older houses are not preserved, to show how earlier Chinese lived.
The roads here are really good! I’m impressed. This country is definitely a power house, and I think Australia could learn something from China. Particularly good road systems and mag lev trains as well as Bullet trains.
Last edited by danet on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:07 pm

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 am

danet wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:07 pm
I agree 100% with you.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

danet

Post by danet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:00 am

max Headroom wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 am
danet wrote:
I agree 100% with you.
Great because it’s an ancient Chinese shorthand script which says “time to use your own avatar” 😏

danet

Post by danet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:06 am

So smoggy here in Shanghai. Last night we went on a boat tour of the Huangpu River with amazing neons lights on buildings reflecting in the water. We leave in about an hour to get transfer to airport. It’s about 9 am Shanghai time (Thursday) and we will be back in Melbourne by Friday 6.20 am. Then we get our car from long term car park and drive home an hour. Be home in 24 hours. See you later with photos after recovery from trip.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:50 am

danet wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:00 am
max Headroom wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 am
danet wrote:
I agree 100% with you.
Great because it’s an ancient Chinese shorthand script which says “time to use your own avatar” 😏
How do I look, smooth around the edges.
Confucius says "char ming"

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Firm done a bit of business with the Chinese this past week.

Haulage of printing machines to Sheffield from Hull.
GB FIRST

Return to “The Corner Shop”