Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

online poll

Post by sherri » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:58 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... spartandhp

I never even knew there was such a poll but I agree with Pauline Hanson's stance on this one. The citizenship poll has no validity, not if it is open to people voting multiple times (on different computers) & open to anyone anywhere in the world or is being promoted mainly amongst certain groups.

That goes for any poll by any party.

The interesting thing in the news report above (put out by ABC) is that it tells us the time the poll closes but gives no link to the actual poll.

Nor I have I seen this poll advertised on media.

The worrying thing about the whole thing is the results are actually going to be tabled in parliament.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: online poll

Post by gnads » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:01 am

It's a joke... in all honesty how can such an open survey fraught with manipulation possibilities ever be a tool for a govt. to use to guide the making of laws to implement into legislation?

Ian McDonald is a Liberal.... he must be a Turnbull style Liberal otherwise this survey would not even be considered.

Pauline is a Liberal in disguise so she should be able to throw some weight behind getting this survey dumped.

I've seen no advertising for it either ...... which is typical govt are trying to slide something past the population.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:52 pm

something about this on the radio yesterday

hanson wants people to wait 8 years before they can become a citizen

I think 5 is fair

we don't need another plebiscite though
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:19 pm

Yeah 5 would be fair .... but govt committees shouldn't be using a contracted company to conduct a poll/survey regarding citizenship reform /amendment that's open to non citizens & people in foreign countries.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:13 pm

Hanson was complaining about the way the poll was conducted. No matter whether the committee comes up with 2,5,8 years or whatever, the fact is this poll should not be used as a guide to how Australians feel about it because it is too flawed.
How can a poll where anyone in any country can vote be used as a guide to Australian voter opinion?
I normally couldn't care less who has polls-whether it is radio stations, newspapers etc
But it is a worry when something as inaccurate and biased as this is going to be tabled in parliament.

The politicians have been elected, they need to get out into their electorates, talk to people there if they need to, and then go make the decisions themselves. But the results of this poll will be rubbish.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:33 am

That's what I said ..... :P

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:38 pm

If they asked me, I would say 5 years but then the next 5 years on probation & any serious crime automatically revokes citizenship. Even if they weren't actually kicked out of the country after it, they would have to start their 5 year good behaviour qualification period again.
That's what I'd like to see.

Return to “The Corner Shop”