A Fine Bromance - but for how long?

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

A Fine Bromance - but for how long?

Post by ralph » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 am

It was fascinating to watch the press conference given by Presidents Trump and Macron on the first day Macron's State Visit to the US. Each President determined to milk the 'friendship' for all it is worth. Each determined prove their International macho credentials who are not to be trifled with and President Macron desperately attempting to show that he has very decided views of his own both on foreign policy and trade. President Trump the while, smiling at him as one might do at young kid full of enthusiasm and hormones, as much to say: "Bless him, let him have his moment, he'll get the message soon enough." :D

We got a very clear indication of how President Trump intends to proceed in the coming weeks and months and he made it quite clear that there is to be no departure from his election promise: 'America First.' On The Middle East: "America has spent $7 Trillion in recent years trying to sort things out there and that is going to stop. There are some very wealthy nations there (the Gulf States) who are going to start paying and yes, putting boots on the ground too, not just relying on America. The Iran nuclear deal by Obama was a very bad one and must go and if Iran threatens us..." he essentially threatened to punish them severely which suggested militarily and economically. They are not going be allowed access through Syria to the Mediterranean, "Which we control." Which is why of course he wants Russia, with their base, out of Syria. Syria too will have to have 'democratic' elections (which means electing a government approved by the US).

On North Korea: "It means getting rid of their Nukes. That is the starting point of his negotiations so I don't hold out much hope of success there. During all this, there was lots of friendly smiles . hugging's and hand shakes between the two Presidents as Macron desperately tried to show that he was gong to be no 'push-over' and wanted to appear if not as an equal, then at least as America's best friend, who should be rewarded with at least the prospects of good trade deals to take home. He needs that as like President Hollande before him, his initial popularity is on the slide as he tries to reform labour laws and make life a bit tougher for the workers.

President Trump himself faces all kinds of difficulties at home, to numerous and well known to have to mention, so some tough-talking and hinting at dishing-out some military punishments he hopes will distract and play well at home. Tonight the people of Arizona are voting to replace a Senator caught up in a s*x scandal (two women fighting it out to replace him). Trump desperately hopes that the Republican will win to show a rise in his approval ratings, just as President Macron desperately hopes to return home: chest out and a grapefruit under each arm, looking like a new Napoleon. He's about the right height, so he may just get away with it... at least for a while. :lol:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: A Fine Bromance - but for how long?

Post by sherri » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 pm

I can understand some of Trump's aims. I don't think it's a bad thing for a PM or president to put their own country first. How to go about that though is up for debate.
As for the middle east, what a disaster a lot of that area is. Good luck to anyone trying to sort that lot out.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:45 pm

sherri wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 pm
I can understand some of Trump's aims. I don't think it's a bad thing for a PM or president to put their own country first. How to go about that though is up for debate.
As for the middle east, what a disaster a lot of that area is. Good luck to anyone trying to sort that lot out.
Thats what they are paid for......
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 pm

Exactly. But not all of them do it.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Really ? what a surprise, never heard of that.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 am

sherri wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 pm
Sherri, I see that Debbie Lesko (Republican) won the recent Congressional Election in Arizona. The Democrats were hoping to knock them out to show a swing against Trump, but as this didn't happen, it was allowed by the media to fade into the background.

As for 'the Bromance', I see that when President Macron addressed both Houses of The Congress, he didn't back away from his differences of opinion with President Trump over either Iran or climate change. Now we must wait until the 12th of May to see what Trump will do about the Iran nuclear agreement. The EU are against him on this one, will he choose to go it alone?

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 pm

I think Trump has been fighting media opposition every step of the way during his term.
I'm not saying that I support half of what he does or says, but I think some politicians get a much easier run than others with the media.

Macron has a fine line to walk. He doesn't want to look like a puppet of Trump's. It's a long way from the old days when we had a PM who declared "All the way with LBJ". :D

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:36 am

sherri wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 pm
I think Trump has been fighting media opposition every step of the way during his term.
I'm not saying that I support half of what he does or says, but I think some politicians get a much easier run than others with the media.

Macron has a fine line to walk. He doesn't want to look like a puppet of Trump's. It's a long way from the old days when we had a PM who declared "All the way with LBJ". :D
Sherri, I suppose what we find a little alarming about President Trump, is that he tells you exactly what he is thinking and we are not used to such forthrightness from most politicians. You often end up with the same results: invasion, missiles flying about and death on a grand scale, it's just that they are a hell of a lot more devious in planning how they get you there.

The election of President Trump illustrated very clearly, call it what you will: 'The Establishment' or 'The Deep State', massive and real power is wielded by people well behind the scenes and who have often been at the same Universities, and been in and out of powerful jobs by passing through the 'revolving doors between business, the military and politics. Trump arrived by a different means; many bitterly resent him and will move mountains to get rid of him and they will be none too fastidious in how they go about it. That doesn't mean I consider President Trump less scary, its just that if they manage to get rid of him, it will just be others who are managing the wars.

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Looks like Angela (That's pronounced the English way Anjel a) Merkel is getting Jealous of Macron she wants Trump to visit Germany.
I always value Pilots wit and input

Return to “The Corner Shop”