Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by gnads » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:45 am

ralph wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 am
gnads wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:13 am
ralph wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 am


Apart from a few 'pest species; being introduced accidently, most of them were as you say, introduced by Australians either to remind them of their old lives, or to provide sport by hunting and killing them or like the Cane Toad, to try and cure a pest that was affecting another alien plant species (sugar cane) introduced for profit. Nature is always evolving and nothing can change that, but when we try to, it often has the most dramatic and unpleasant results. Nature is also resilient, and try as we may, once we have unleashed new life, especially into a country as massive as is Australia, it is almost impossible to reverse the process.

At some point and I'm sure it will eventually happen, the long-forecast and much feared pandemic will result from a viral or bacterial mutation, and millions, possibly even billions of people will d*e as a result. An awful prospect but in the long term, nature's way of curbing a pest species that has got out of balance and out of control.
They weren't introduced by Australians Ralph ..... they were introduced by English migrants .... the only exception being Cane Toads & Indian Myna birds..... both for the same purpose & both failures.


Yes Ralph the potential for a future pandemic that could cull the human population is always there.
Not introduced by Australians, but English migrants? Well other the the Aboriginal people, the rest of you are all either migrants or from migrant stock so I'm not sure I can swallow that one. :lol:

I'm as Australian as any Aboriginal alive today. :roll:

The animals that were introduced to become feral pests .... were introduced by the first settlers & very earliest english migrants.

The use of the name "Australia" only became officially used in 1817 after first being used by Matthew Flinders in 1804.

My ancestors arrived here in 1851 from Surrey.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by sherri » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:47 pm

It would be rather like saying to the English on the board that they aren't really English, nor were their ancestors really English, (even if they go back hundreds of years) unless they can prove they are pure Welsh.
(Here's your cue, max). The Welsh are the ones with the most DNA from the indigenous settlers. They are the only true brits.

So until we see their Welsh credentials, we can assume the rest of the English here are from migrant stock. :D

User avatar
niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by niagraa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

sherri wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:47 pm
It would be rather like saying to the English on the board that they aren't really English, nor were their ancestors really English, (even if they go back hundreds of years) unless they can prove they are pure Welsh.
(Here's your cue, max). The Welsh are the ones with the most DNA from the indigenous settlers. They are the only true brits.

So until we see their Welsh credentials, we can assume the rest of the English here are from migrant stock. :D
i got this one max...

for your information sherri, the true indigenous people of what is now known as the british isles were in fact originally from the baltic state countries IE: Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

these baltic people were later invaded by what is now known as the "brits" who originated from gaul. (the gauls were later known as to be... "the froggy" b*stards)

although the baltics and the brits lived peacefully together for some 2.5 centuries, the baltics finally decided they had no more toleration for the smell..

you see the baltic people were the ones that invented balsamic soap, but the brits would not use it, in the end, the baltic people moved back to the countries of their own origin, it was either that or suffocate...

and to this day, the brits, or more specifically, "the poms" still hate soap...

User avatar
champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 9465
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: CUCKOOS NEST!!!

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by champion. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 pm

niagraa wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

and to this day, the brits, or more specifically, "the poms" still hate soap...
Oy....I've chinned blokes for less.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by sherri » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:49 pm

niagraa wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm
sherri wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:47 pm
It would be rather like saying to the English on the board that they aren't really English, nor were their ancestors really English, (even if they go back hundreds of years) unless they can prove they are pure Welsh.
(Here's your cue, max). The Welsh are the ones with the most DNA from the indigenous settlers. They are the only true brits.

So until we see their Welsh credentials, we can assume the rest of the English here are from migrant stock. :D
i got this one max...

for your information sherri, the true indigenous people of what is now known as the british isles were in fact originally from the baltic state countries IE: Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

these baltic people were later invaded by what is now known as the "brits" who originated from gaul. (the gauls were later known as to be... "the froggy" b*stards)

although the baltics and the brits lived peacefully together for some 2.5 centuries, the baltics finally decided they had no more toleration for the smell..

you see the baltic people were the ones that invented balsamic soap, but the brits would not use it, in the end, the baltic people moved back to the countries of their own origin, it was either that or suffocate...

and to this day, the brits, or more specifically, "the poms" still hate soap...
I only went back to the last ice age. :D
So the Welsh DNA is the closest to that original first 'modern Brit'. Well, the people from Orkney have the most distinct DNA, theirs is from the Norwegian invasion. The next most distinct is from Wales

Many people in Britain(overall) have about 40% French DNA and some have 25% German.
Interestingly (or to me) there is practically no genetic footprint from either the Romans or the Vikings.

But what I was really getting at isn't an argument about specifically where the first modern indigenous came from, it is more along- if I went to England and told a lot of the English that they weren't really English, they weren't even 'modern Brits' unless they came from Wales or Orkney & could trace their genomes back to at least the last ice age, then I wonder how that would be received. :wink:
Last edited by sherri on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:52 pm

max Headroom wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:29 am
ralph wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 am
gnads wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:13 am


They weren't introduced by Australians Ralph ..... they were introduced by English migrants .... the only exception being Cane Toads & Indian Myna birds..... both for the same purpose & both failures.


Yes Ralph the potential for a future pandemic that could cull the human population is always there.
Not introduced by Australians, but English migrants? Well other the the Aboriginal people, the rest of you are all either migrants or from migrant stock so I'm not sure I can swallow that one. :lol:



Well then try swallowing one at a time. raplf
I'll consider it Amx

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by sherri » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Poor Ralph, when i think about it, we've hauled you over the coals not because you don't call us Australians, but for the opposite reason, you called someone an Australian too early. :D
Basically, how we judge it is this. If you were born overseas and not in Australia, that makes you a migrant (well, if you're living here, that is).
The rest of us here are 'not migrants'. :D

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 pm

niagraa wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm
sherri wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:47 pm
It would be rather like saying to the English on the board that they aren't really English, nor were their ancestors really English, (even if they go back hundreds of years) unless they can prove they are pure Welsh.
(Here's your cue, max). The Welsh are the ones with the most DNA from the indigenous settlers. They are the only true brits.

So until we see their Welsh credentials, we can assume the rest of the English here are from migrant stock. :D
i got this one max...

for your information sherri, the true indigenous people of what is now known as the british isles were in fact originally from the baltic state countries IE: Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

these baltic people were later invaded by what is now known as the "brits" who originated from gaul. (the gauls were later known as to be... "the froggy" b*stards)

although the baltics and the brits lived peacefully together for some 2.5 centuries, the baltics finally decided they had no more toleration for the smell..

you see the baltic people were the ones that invented balsamic soap, but the brits would not use it, in the end, the baltic people moved back to the countries of their own origin, it was either that or suffocate...

and to this day, the brits, or more specifically, "the poms" still hate soap...
All that soap Niagra,is not needed, if the flies start to become a problem (attracted by the smell) we can always take a leaf from the book of our close cousins and hang corks from our hats to help keep them away.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by max Headroom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Corks, him funny.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 pm

sherri wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 pm
Poor Ralph, when i think about it, we've hauled you over the coals not because you don't call us Australians, but for the opposite reason, you called someone an Australian too early. :D
Basically, how we judge it is this. If you were born overseas and not in Australia, that makes you a migrant (well, if you're living here, that is).
The rest of us here are 'not migrants'. :D
Sherri, those born in Australia, as well as those who have been granted citizenship, are most certainly in every sense, legally Australians. The confusion or obfuscation by some, in an effort attribute guilt for the presence non-indigenous species seems just a tad unfair.

Non-native creatures, rather like those transported to Australia as punishment had no power to change their fate. The humans eventually got their rights protected by the law. Some animals gained a limited protection from some laws and others have no protection at all: in short a massacre of the innocents can be undertaken with a clear concience, the more so if it can be done and turn a profit. :D

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by sherri » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 am

ralph wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 pm
sherri wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 pm
Poor Ralph, when i think about it, we've hauled you over the coals not because you don't call us Australians, but for the opposite reason, you called someone an Australian too early. :D
Basically, how we judge it is this. If you were born overseas and not in Australia, that makes you a migrant (well, if you're living here, that is).
The rest of us here are 'not migrants'. :D
Sherri, those born in Australia, as well as those who have been granted citizenship, are most certainly in every sense, legally Australians. The confusion or obfuscation by some, in an effort attribute guilt for the presence non-indigenous species seems just a tad unfair.

Non-native creatures, rather like those transported to Australia as punishment had no power to change their fate. The humans eventually got their rights protected by the law. Some animals gained a limited protection from some laws and others have no protection at all: in short a massacre of the innocents can be undertaken with a clear concience, the more so if it can be done and turn a profit. :D
Some animals are protected and some, I am sorry to say, are treated disgustingly. I think live export should stop or else face a serious overhaul, it is sickening what happens to some of the animals.

When we talk about the aboriginals who were here at the time of the first fleet though, I don't think most of them died in massacres. There were a few instances of that of course, but it wasn't a case of war between the groups. Illness & disease had as big a part to play in a lot of Aboriginal deaths, especially in Tasmania. Those Aboriginals had been isolated even from the mainland Aboriginals for centuries & sicknesses such as measles, flu etc just decimated them, they had no resistance.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:39 am

max Headroom wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 pm
Corks, him funny.
Perhaps sardonic humour is the best antidote for an almost constant drip of 'blog-poison'.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:43 am

niagraa wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 am
ralph wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 pm


All that soap Niagra,is not needed, if the flies start to become a problem (attracted by the smell) we can always take a leaf from the book of our close cousins and hang corks from our hats to help keep them away.
yeh but mate, my closest cousins are human, your closest cousins are apes.
I notice that you are going through one of your 'dark periods' again. Perhaps you need to consult with someone like Dr Frasier Crane, they may be able to help you through it. :lol:

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by max Headroom » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 am

ralph wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:43 am
niagraa wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 am
ralph wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 pm


All that soap Niagra,is not needed, if the flies start to become a problem (attracted by the smell) we can always take a leaf from the book of our close cousins and hang corks from our hats to help keep them away.
yeh but mate, my closest cousins are human, your closest cousins are apes.
I notice that you are going through one of your 'dark periods' again. Perhaps you need to consult with someone like Dr Frasier Crane, they may be able to help you through it. :lol:
You mean to say that there is more than one? these Dr Cranes must really be someone or someone else or is he/she/them siamese conjoined double adapter or something like that.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by sherri » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 am

ralph wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 pm
. The confusion or obfuscation by some, in an effort attribute guilt for the presence non-indigenous species seems just a tad unfair.
It works like this, Ralph.
All the bad stuff, that's the fault of the English settlers, right?
If it's good stuff, then it was Australians. :D

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:08 pm

sherri wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 am
ralph wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 pm
. The confusion or obfuscation by some, in an effort attribute guilt for the presence non-indigenous species seems just a tad unfair.
It works like this, Ralph.
All the bad stuff, that's the fault of the English settlers, right?
If it's good stuff, then it was Australians. :D
You may say it, I can't possibly comment... :lol:

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by max Headroom » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 pm

The joys of cut and pastin without understanding, however it looks good raplf.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:22 pm

max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 pm
The joys of cut and pastin without understanding, however it looks good raplf.
As I'm not and never have been into cutting and pasting, I will have to take that as an unintended compliment Xam.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by gnads » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am

ralph wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:22 pm
max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 pm
The joys of cut and pastin without understanding, however it looks good raplf.
As I'm not and never have been into cutting and pasting, I will have to take that as an unintended compliment Xam.
Not into cutting & pasting but a fair bit of hand wringing ey? :P
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 pm

gnads wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am
ralph wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:22 pm
max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 pm
The joys of cut and pastin without understanding, however it looks good raplf.
As I'm not and never have been into cutting and pasting, I will have to take that as an unintended compliment Xam.
Not into cutting & pasting but a fair bit of hand wringing ey? :P
Now't wrong with a bit of hand-wringing in a good cause. :lol:

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”