Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by ralph » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:17 am

I'll no doubt get abuse from some of our Australian Boardies, but listening to the radio today, I heard a short news item concerning 'feral' donkeys in Northern Territory, particularly near Katherine. Just yet another species 'introduced' that has gone wild (much nicer word than feral which I think often best suits human delinquents. They are upsetting farmers (tell me what doesn't upset farmers) and God help us, threatening native species, except perhaps for native kangaroos which are also apparently pests and so don't matter. Perhaps we ought to have an Aboriginal spokesman to talk about that last point. :lol:

Not to worry, a solution appears to be at hand - no, not electric or other kinds of fences, but a market for them in China which is interested in turning them into gelatine.

As someone who after visiting a Donkey Sanctuary, found them to be a most lovable and loving creature, I find it sad that they have now joined so many of the other animals that man introduced as being a pest that must now be exterminated - though for profit of course, which is the reason for the topic heading.

If Daddy O were still with us, I might have chosen to discuss the impending crisis in Syria. :D

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Man or Beast, which is the Real Pest?

Post by niagraa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:36 am

ralph wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:17 am

If Daddy O were still with us, I might have chosen to discuss the impending crisis in Syria. :D
daddyo was a crazy anti trump lefty, i have no doubt what daddyo would say...

"trumps trying to save his arse and trying to give him self credit by upsetting putin to take away the media attention on the russia collusion, and to make people think he doesn't have any ties to russia"..

and as usual, whatever daddyo said would be b*llshit :)

my opinion on the syria civil war, both sides are evil...

as for who the real pests are, it's man, but none more so than the insane lot of barbarians in the middle east. (excluding israel of course)

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:14 am

ralph wrote:
I'll no doubt get abuse from some of our Australian Boardies, but listening to the radio today, I heard a short news item concerning 'feral' donkeys in Northern Territory, particularly near Katherine. Just yet another species 'introduced' that has gone wild (much nicer word than feral which I think often best suits human delinquents. They are upsetting farmers (tell me what doesn't upset farmers) and God help us, threatening native species, except perhaps for native kangaroos which are also apparently pests and so don't matter. Perhaps we ought to have an Aboriginal spokesman to talk about that last point. :lol:

Not to worry, a solution appears to be at hand - no, not electric or other kinds of fences, but a market for them in China which is interested in turning them into gelatine.

As someone who after visiting a Donkey Sanctuary, found them to be a most lovable and loving creature, I find it sad that they have now joined so many of the other animals that man introduced as being a pest that must now be exterminated - though for profit of course, which is the reason for the topic heading.

You can still can do that, anyhow Igor will walk all over twump.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 am

max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:14 am

You can still can do that, anyhow Igor will walk all over twump.
might make for a good laugh on some youtube channels though, all the idiot lefty students will be crapping their pants and crying in their lattes claiming that trump will start ww3 and kill us all :)
Last edited by niagraa on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:44 am

It's sad, Ralph.
I'm sure there should be something else that we could do besides send them off to another country to be slaughtered. I'm against live animal export. From every report I have seen, it is inhumane.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:47 pm

sherri wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:44 am
It's sad, Ralph.
I'm sure there should be something else that we could do besides send them off to another country to be slaughtered. I'm against live animal export. From every report I have seen, it is inhumane.
Quite so Sherri.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 am

ralph wrote:

Ralph you don't seem to get it ... wild donkeys aren't quiet & lovable ... what's wrong with finding a market for them? Better than just shooting them & leaving them to rot on the ground. There are as many if not more wild horses and unwanted domestic horses sent to knackeries every week which are also turned into gelatin etc.

Our feral camels are much sort after in the ME ... they used to just shoot them & leave them to rot as well. They are even starting up Camel Dairies for the milk.

We have markets for feral pigs as well ... they sell into Europe ... Germans love them. But they do terrible damage to the land & to crops & livestock.

There is also a Kangaroo quota for skins & meat. You can buy Kangaroo meat at the supermarket. As for asking Aboriginals ... why? they eat them as well.

And I can assure you there are more kangaroos(Reds & Greys) in Australia today than there were pre-colonisation.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:10 am

gnads wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 am
ralph wrote:

Ralph you don't seem to get it ... wild donkeys aren't quiet & lovable ... what's wrong with finding a market for them? Better than just shooting them & leaving them to rot on the ground. There are as many if not more wild horses and unwanted domestic horses sent to knackeries every week which are also turned into gelatin etc.

Our feral camels are much sort after in the ME ... they used to just shoot them & leave them to rot as well. They are even starting up Camel Dairies for the milk.

We have markets for feral pigs as well ... they sell into Europe ... Germans love them. But they do terrible damage to the land & to crops & livestock.

There is also a Kangaroo quota for skins & meat. You can buy Kangaroo meat at the supermarket. As for asking Aboriginals ... why? they eat them as well.

And I can assure you there are more kangaroos(Reds & Greys) in Australia today than there were pre-colonisation.
You make my point very well for me Gnads: at the age of 74, I'm heartily sick of seeing one species (us) think that the whole of nature must revolve around it and every other living thing in the world is there only to be exploited. You know the sort of thing I mean:"It must be right because the Bible says that God put them on Earth for us to eat. That is why I am not religious. The alternative: Darwinism and the survival of the fittest... Well yes, nature left to its own devices is red in tooth and claw, but I believe some people have the intelligence and ability steer a middle course and manage the planet in a more humane way. Sadly it applies only to some people and that is why we live in such a bloody awful world.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Besides domestic livestock & Kangaroos .... the rest are introduced pest species that also have a devastating effect on the countries native species.

I take them over over the introduced ferals.

In that I also include wild dogs & feral cats. There are millions of feral cats all over the continent ... even in the deserts of our central interior.

I have no problems with campaigns to eradicate them en masse when needed.

Western Australia has a full time battle trying to prevent the spread of Starlings (birds) across the continent into that state. Introduced pest species.

There are many pest species Ralph .....many pest bird types, pigs, foxes, rabbits, cats. dogs, camels, donkeys, horses, water buffalo, deer, goats, snakes, cane toads and 100's of noxious plants ... & yes it's mans fault they got introduced but something has to be done.

If they shouldn't be utilised I'm fine with leaving them on the ground to rot ..... fertilizer ...No?

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 am

gnads wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 pm
Besides domestic livestock & Kangaroos .... the rest are introduced pest species that also have a devastating effect on the countries native species.

In that I also include wild dogs & feral cats. There are millions of feral cats all over the continent ... even in the deserts of our central interior.

Western Australia has a full time battle trying to prevent the spread of Starlings (birds) across the continent into that state. Introduced pest species.

There are many pest species Ralph .....many pest bird types, pigs, foxes, rabbits, cats. dogs, camels, donkeys, horses, water buffalo, deer, goats, snakes, cane toads and 100's of noxious plants ... & yes it's mans fault they got introduced but something has to be done.

If they shouldn't be utilised I'm fine with leaving them on the ground to rot ..... fertilizer ...No?
Apart from a few 'pest species; being introduced accidently, most of them were as you say, introduced by Australians either to remind them of their old lives, or to provide sport by hunting and killing them or like the Cane Toad, to try and cure a pest that was affecting another alien plant species (sugar cane) introduced for profit. Nature is always evolving and nothing can change that, but when we try to, it often has the most dramatic and unpleasant results. Nature is also resilient, and try as we may, once we have unleashed new life, especially into a country as massive as is Australia, it is almost impossible to reverse the process.

At some point and I'm sure it will eventually happen, the long-forecast and much feared pandemic will result from a viral or bacterial mutation, and millions, possibly even billions of people will d*e as a result. An awful prospect but in the long term, nature's way of curbing a pest species that has got out of balance and out of control.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:13 am

ralph wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 am
gnads wrote:

Apart from a few 'pest species; being introduced accidently, most of them were as you say, introduced by Australians either to remind them of their old lives, or to provide sport by hunting and killing them or like the Cane Toad, to try and cure a pest that was affecting another alien plant species (sugar cane) introduced for profit. Nature is always evolving and nothing can change that, but when we try to, it often has the most dramatic and unpleasant results. Nature is also resilient, and try as we may, once we have unleashed new life, especially into a country as massive as is Australia, it is almost impossible to reverse the process.

At some point and I'm sure it will eventually happen, the long-forecast and much feared pandemic will result from a viral or bacterial mutation, and millions, possibly even billions of people will d*e as a result. An awful prospect but in the long term, nature's way of curbing a pest species that has got out of balance and out of control.
They weren't introduced by Australians Ralph ..... they were introduced by English migrants .... the only exception being Cane Toads & Indian Myna birds..... both for the same purpose & both failures.

Yes Ralph the potential for a future pandemic that could cull the human population is always there.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 am

gnads wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:13 am
ralph wrote:
gnads wrote:

They weren't introduced by Australians Ralph ..... they were introduced by English migrants .... the only exception being Cane Toads & Indian Myna birds..... both for the same purpose & both failures.

Yes Ralph the potential for a future pandemic that could cull the human population is always there.
Not introduced by Australians, but English migrants? Well other the the Aboriginal people, the rest of you are all either migrants or from migrant stock so I'm not sure I can swallow that one. :lol:

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:29 am

ralph wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 am
gnads wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:13 am
ralph wrote:

Not introduced by Australians, but English migrants? Well other the the Aboriginal people, the rest of you are all either migrants or from migrant stock so I'm not sure I can swallow that one. :lol:

Well then try swallowing one at a time. raplf
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:24 am

ralph wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 am

you idiots never cease to amaze me on this aborigine's were here first crap..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Meaning of “indigenous” in the English Dictionary

indigenous
adjective UK ​ /ɪnˈdɪdʒ.ɪ.nəs/ US ​ /ɪnˈdɪdʒ.ə.nəs/

naturally existing in a place or country rather than arriving from another place:
Are there any species of frog indigenous to the area?
So who are the indigenous people of this land?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

i was bloody born here pal, that makes me indigenous, and just because i'm bloody white, that doesn't give any b*****d the right to p*ss on me or my fellow indigenous australians whether they be black white or bloody brindle..

the black fellers descendants may have been here longer, but ive been here longer than half the present population of bloody blackfellers.

the word "aboriginal" doe's not denote a race or colour.

and i don't give a crap about the official government outlook defining aboriginal and torres strait islanders as "true" aboriginals, their definition does NOT negate the definition of "indigenous".

whether you b*stards like it or not, us white australian people who were born here ARE aboriginal/indigenous to this land.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:43 am

It's true that at some stage, everyone here who has a white background had ancestors who came over here, Who were not indigenous.

But the question that pops into my head when people say that present day white people here are not truly Australian is this-how long would you expect someone to be able to prove their ancestry in a region before you would say they are from that nation? How many generations?
Even the Aboriginal people here have ancestors who came over at some stage. Their ancestry might go back further but in practical terms, a white Australian of 60 has lived here 40 years longer than an Aboriginal of 20.

I would call a lot of the people who introduced some pest species eg rabbits, as English migrants & not Australians-not because they were white-but because they had been born in England and identified themselves as English.
In fact there was no federation till the 20th century.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:09 am

Its getting close to ancestry .com time and the dna, is there anyone out there with dna experience? or is it Do Not Annoy.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:10 am

if the British hadn't come the Dutch or someone else would have come

If you look at the countries the British have colonised they have generally done a good job.

There's no Rainbow Serpent or any of that stuff.

There's just the 20th Century and all that.

In countries where we have walked away it leaves the likes of Mugabe to take their countries on the downhill slope.

Britain didn't invade Australia it saved Australia.

The indigenous people should be saying thank you instead of us saying sorry.

Thank You for the land rights, Thank You for schools. Thank You for Education.

We are on our land.
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 am

and thank you for the magic atm, never ending money, mabo = money available blacks only

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:50 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:10 am
if the British hadn't come the Dutch or someone else would have come

If you look at the countries the British have colonised they have generally done a good job.

There's no Rainbow Serpent or any of that stuff.

There's just the 20th Century and all that.

In countries where we have walked away it leaves the likes of Mugabe to take their countries on the downhill slope.

Britain didn't invade Australia it saved Australia.

The indigenous people should be saying thank you instead of us saying sorry.

Thank You for the land rights, Thank You for schools. Thank You for Education.

We are on our land.
yep, and if indonesia or japan had colonised australia, more than likely the aborigines would have been completely wiped out..

there have been egyptian artifacts/hieroglyphs found in australia, but the Egyptians obviously decided not to colonise, no doubt because it would have been impossible to build their pyramids out here, its very likely they enslaved some aborigines and then found the buggers wouldn't work, and seeing as the egyptians don't like to do their own labouring, they buggered off..

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_australia02.htm

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:16 am

If the British had not colonised Australia, it would have been the French. La Perouse arrived just days after the first fleet.
One thing we can be sure of is that if the British had not come, someone else would have. Australia would not still be sitting here untouched in the 21st century.
Things change, the aborigines need to accept that. I suppose what galls them though is their ancestors had no control over the change or the amount of change, they were the underdogs in the process.
I don't think what is happening today is the right way to go about things. I don't think saying prayers or prayer like thanks to the 'first owners of the land' etc is helpful, I don't think having special 'us & them' laws is helpful. We need somehow to respect & preserve what we can of the aboriginal history but move on to where present day people with aboriginal heritage have success & are able to integrate. At the moment, some aboriginal people are being given positions of influence over their own people, simply based on race. It's not working, there is a lot of money being wasted.

Return to “The Corner Shop”