Commonewealth Games

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by sherri » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:56 am

max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 am
danet wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:41 pm
That's odd, I saw it was posted okay last night too, now it's gone. I will look up Imgur today at some time Sherri, and try to upload the photo again.
In the meantime, there are some amazing wins for Australia with Gold and Silver, and some records too, like the men's cycling last night.
Just ask shairy she'll fill you in with photo bucket and their expensive fees and how free it is with Imgur, for a added bonus she might give a dna story.
I might have mentioned it to you & gnads but you forget, danet is rarely on here any more & never saw earlier posts. And what's more, it worked. She used imgur. When you've taught for a while, you soon learn that most things need to be repeated more than once. :D Teaching 101. Glad we've now got you properly trained.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5729
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Stuck at Shanghai Airport!

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by danet » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 am

max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 am
danet wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:41 pm
That's odd, I saw it was posted okay last night too, now it's gone. I will look up Imgur today at some time Sherri, and try to upload the photo again.
In the meantime, there are some amazing wins for Australia with Gold and Silver, and some records too, like the men's cycling last night.
Just ask shairy she'll fill you in with photo bucket and their expensive fees and how free it is with Imgur, for a added bonus she might give a dna story.
Damn right she will fill me in with the important info, I value her imput, for which I am grateful :P

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5729
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Stuck at Shanghai Airport!

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by danet » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:05 am

max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:36 am
danet wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:35 pm
Daughter has recently moved to live up on the Gold Coast, and she is being frugal, but still enjoying the atmosphere and hype of the games without going bust.
She is going to see only a couple of events, such as the beach volley ball, and the artistic gymnastics. Just because she can.
The rest can be seen for free on TV, it's really good coverage on TV. The opening ceremony was great, we enjoyed it, had the best seats in the house (our lounge) and was totally free to watch.
It would have been a bit of of a fizzer with the transport problem at the end of the night, but still the atmosphere was good, and people enjoyed other people's company all around.
This is a photo my daughter captures of the Queens Baton being relayed on Monday, in Lae Drive Runaway Bay, she said it was a great community spirit and she loved it.

Image
Thats not a button but a new science fiction based vibe.
I think that's an interesting description, "a new science fiction based vibe"....which does give out an all important vibe for the beginning of the games, I did think it was a bit lacklustre, but I suppose it had to be able to go across many miles and survive the journey with many people handing it.
The different design will always be remembered for the 2018 Commonwealth Games for Queensland Gold Coast - light and bright, the vibe and mood I always feel when up in Queensland....light and bright 8)
Last edited by danet on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5729
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Stuck at Shanghai Airport!

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by danet » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:10 am

max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:06 am
sherri wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:56 am
max Headroom wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 am


Just ask shairy she'll fill you in with photo bucket and their expensive fees and how free it is with Imgur, for a added bonus she might give a dna story.
I might have mentioned it to you & gnads but you forget, danet is rarely on here any more & never saw earlier posts. And what's more, it worked. She used imgur. When you've taught for a while, you soon learn that most things need to be repeated more than once. :D Teaching 101. Glad we've now got you properly trained.
Ah yes no doubt according to dealing with advanced alzheimer's and delusional psypathic teachers 101.
What is going on? That's not a very nice thing to write about Sherri. [-X
Can we stick to the topic the OP put up?

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by gnads » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:10 pm

I had another idea as to what that Games torch resembles ...

but it isn't appropriate here. :P
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by gnads » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:12 pm

But I might add ....it's hardly a torch .... & how will it light anything.

We're so bubble wrapped they don't trust anyone with a real torch & fire.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by max Headroom » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm

gnads wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:10 pm
I had another idea as to what that Games torch resembles ...

but it isn't appropriate here. :P
I see Gnads what you mean its like a split water mellon.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4503
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by whip » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Had good vibes last night for sure.

Was and went to a pub from an invite to a slap up meal. '' Rugby club invite ''

No medals as to guess what I consumed.

Tried a new Ale out, utter plonk and no better than that OZ crap Fosters.

Mind, it beat the hell out of watching those crazy games.
GB FIRST

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12047
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by andysfootball » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 pm

they don't drink fosters in Australia

it's brewed in burton on trent
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by max Headroom » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:17 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 pm
they don't drink fosters in Australia

it's brewed in burton on trent
Awh spoilt a good story.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by gnads » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:32 pm

Closing ceremony a fiasco as well.

Former Athlete commentators give organisers a blast.

It's turned out a dud all round.

Over indulgent opening ceremony for the Indigenous ... not the concept of the Games or the Athletes.

Poor transport arrangements.

Turned the rest of the Gold Coast into a ghost town .... causing businesses to suffer losses & put off staff.

Then the closing ceremony leaves the Athletes out .... the athletes treat it with the contempt it deserves & leave ...

the stadium is virtually empty halfway through and commentators give it a big spray for organisers getting it wrong.

4 years to get it right & they failed big time.... Good on you Peter Beattie :roll:

God help the NRL with this goose in charge.
Last edited by gnads on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12047
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by andysfootball » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 am

Me and Mary went to the athletics on Saturday and were really impressed with the organisation. Stayed in Brisbane for the night and caught the free train and shuttle bus to Carrara from South Bank station.

Food was a bit pricey but the stadium was good and a lot of final action on at the same. High Jump, Javelin, Triple Jump, Running.

There were some medal ceremonies from the day before or earlier in the morning as well as the medal ceremonies for events on the day. It was good to hear the anthems and listen to the great applause from the crowd.

I thought the opening ceremony was Ok as there's not much too talk about other than the beach and hinterland on the Gold Coast. The indigenous stuff was overdone but probably easy to produce.

Just watched the start of the closing ceremony and it looked like a bit of change from tradition so went to bed.

Anyway overall I think it was a good Commonwealth games and Queensland will benefit from it in the future.

Low point for me was the biased channel 7 not showing other countries receiving there award unless an Australian was on the podium. I honestly didn't hear on other anthem on the telly. It was much different live at the events where it was done with style and grace.

Am really glad that me and Mary went and we had a great day out.
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by niagraa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 am

fact is, i couldn't be bothered to watch any of it, don't even know the medal tallies.

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12047
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by andysfootball » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 am

niagraa wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 am
fact is, i couldn't be bothered to watch any of it, don't even know the medal tallies.
England won. New Zealand second and Australia were fifth.
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by niagraa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 am

andysfootball wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 am
niagraa wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 am
fact is, i couldn't be bothered to watch any of it, don't even know the medal tallies.
England won. New Zealand second and Australia were fifth.
kiwis second, well done, i'm looking at it population wise, poms always win don't they ? they've got one of the largest populations i guess, who's got more ? definitely india, probably canada ?

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12047
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by andysfootball » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 am

Commonwealth countries with higher populations than England are

Bangladesh 166,280,712
Nigeria 177,155,754
Pakistan 196,174,380
India 1,236,344,631
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by niagraa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 am

andysfootball wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 am
Commonwealth countries with higher populations than England are

Bangladesh 166,280,712
Nigeria 177,155,754
Pakistan 196,174,380
India 1,236,344,631
hell of a lot of people, didn't realise india was over a billion.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by gnads » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 am

andysfootball wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 am
Me and Mary went to the athletics on Saturday and were really impressed with the organisation. Stayed in Brisbane for the night and caught the free train and shuttle bus to Carrara from South Bank station.

Food was a bit pricey but the stadium was good and a lot of final action on at the same. High Jump, Javelin, Triple Jump, Running.

There were some medal ceremonies from the day before or earlier in the morning as well as the medal ceremonies for events on the day. It was good to hear the anthems and listen to the great applause from the crowd.

I thought the opening ceremony was Ok as there's not much too talk about other than the beach and hinterland on the Gold Coast. The indigenous stuff was overdone but probably easy to produce.

Just watched the start of the closing ceremony and it looked like a bit of change from tradition so went to bed.

Anyway overall I think it was a good Commonwealth games and Queensland will benefit from it in the future.

Low point for me was the biased channel 7 not showing other countries receiving there award unless an Australian was on the podium. I honestly didn't hear on other anthem on the telly. It was much different live at the events where it was done with style and grace.

Am really glad that me and Mary went and we had a great day out.
Andy .... they even ballsed up the finish of the MARATHON ..... which traditionally finishes in the stadium with one lap .... so the spectators get to see it in greater numbers ...... Instead they finished it somewhere out beachside.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by gnads » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:25 am

andysfootball wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 am
niagraa wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 am
fact is, i couldn't be bothered to watch any of it, don't even know the medal tallies.
England won. New Zealand second and Australia were fifth.
You fibber Andy :^o [-X

Image
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12047
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by andysfootball » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 am

you would have thought with all those other countries winning medals(apart from Australia)

channel 7 would have played at least one anthem from another country!!!!!
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”